PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Bilge

langmotorsports
06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Is it normal for the automatic bilge to run ocassionally? Not sure where im getting water but mine will run on ocassion but its usually just for a couple seconds........

Moseley618
06-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Last year was the first year for my boat and I had the same thing happen. Every so often the bilge would just kick on and dump some water. You do take on some water if you have people getting in and out of the boat ,more than you think. Our problem was a fitting that was leaking from one of the ballast bags. I found that out one day when the bags were full and the fitting popped out completely, then the bilge kicked on for awhile. Check the fittings in the ballast bags.

sicktc06
06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Do you use the cooler on the boat? The water drains from that into the bilge.

bergermaister
06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Cooler drainage and "foot traffic" will add a surprising amount of water. My kids like to climb up and jump off the sun deck a lot when we're anchored at the beach. Inside doesn't seem wet, especially when it all dries in the sun quickly, but all the run off has to go somewhere.

If it weren't for those float switches there would be a lot of times you never knew you had water in the bilge area!

riderite
06-13-2011, 06:10 PM
If your blower vents are in the rear of the boat they will take on water when the boat is loaded down and you stop quick... Happens all the time in my buddies 208 Supreme...

cab13367
06-13-2011, 08:42 PM
All of the items mentioned above contirbute to water accumulating in the bilge but did you check your shaft packing? Mine was leaking a steady stream last year so the bilge would kick on several times a day. This spring, I aligned the shaft couplers and replaced the packing (again) and as of this last Sunday, my packing seal no longer drips so my bilge never came on all day.

So I would check your shaft packing first - I'm betting most of your water is coming in from there.

Al

langmotorsports
06-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks all!!! Cab how would i go about checking the shaft packing and seal to see if it leaks? Im a newbie to all this......Thanks for the help!!

c.rix
06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
quick check all you hoses on the motor I had one leak the first year I had my boat my leaker was the "J" hose

Then the next year it blew up like I put a m 80 inside of it :)

DOCDRS
06-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks all!!! Cab how would i go about checking the shaft packing and seal to see if it leaks? Im a newbie to all this......Thanks for the help!!

the shaft packing .....where the shaft exits thru the hull just aft of the vdrive should drip no more than once every 30 seconds

cab13367
06-13-2011, 11:45 PM

The shaft packing can be found under the engine just behind the vdrive right where the prop shaft enters the boat. There's a large nut thru which the prop shaft goes thru. Like doc says, it should drip one drop every 30-45 seconds but if it's worn or the shaft couplers are not aligned or the prop shaft is bent, etc, it can leak a lot more. Check it with the engine running and the boat in gear at idle speed (with boat in the water obviously). If it's leaking more than it should, loosen the jam nut (the skinny nut) and try tightening the large nut by grabbing and turning it with both hands to see if you can get the leak to slow down.

mmandley
06-14-2011, 11:16 AM
The shaft packing can be found under the engine just behind the vdrive right where the prop shaft enters the boat. There's a large nut thru which the prop shaft goes thru. Like doc says, it should drip one drop every 30-45 seconds but if it's worn or the shaft couplers are not aligned or the prop shaft is bent, etc, it can leak a lot more. Check it with the engine running and the boat in gear at idle speed (with boat in the water obviously). If it's leaking more than it should, loosen the jam nut (the skinny nut) and try tightening the large nut by grabbing and turning it with both hands to see if you can get the leak to slow down.

This shouldnt need to be said but turn off the engine before adjusting stuff, just saying because it only takes 1 person to reach in there and its a mess.

langmotorsports
06-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!!! No worries im a newbie to inboard boats but not moving motor parts.....I like all my fingers;)