PDA

View Full Version : Bad Clear Coat?????

MikeyMike
06-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I just bought a first Moomba about a month ago. It is real good shape it just needs some cleaning up. It's a 2004 LSV. The finish is rough in spots and the top there is a this film that is coming off. It's real dirty and I can srape it off with my finger nail. When it come's off its real white that matches the paint underneath. Is that just a cheap clear coat the old owner put on or old wax?

dru1974
06-13-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't know what the old owner may have done but that is not factory he or she may have put some coating on. There is not paint on a fibre glass boat. There is gel coat and it is quite thick

dru1974
06-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Can u post a pic?

deafgoose
06-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Yep. Gelcoat can be sanded down and buffed back to its original shine.

It almost sounds like your boat has a coat of paint ontop the gelcoat.

MikeyMike
06-13-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not paint casue it's clear when I remove it. I tried using some 3M Heavy Oxidation remover but it did not help that much. Can you give me a little more detail how the gel coat works? Is there a clear coat over top of the gel coat?8066

The dirty looking part is the stuff coming off.

langmotorsports
06-13-2011, 06:02 PM
There is no clear coat and i dont remember the thickness of the gel coat but for some reason 22mil sticks in my mind but google it.......If you end up buffing the boat yourself and use a power buffer of some sort be careful!! You can burn through the gel coat in a hurry I took mine to a detail shop and they charged me 200.00 but it was worth every cent!! Boat looks like it just came off the showroom floor

deafgoose
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
There is no clear coat and i dont remember the thickness of the gel coat but for some reason 22mil sticks in my mind but google it.......If you end up buffing the boat yourself and use a power buffer of some sort be careful!! You can burn through the gel coat in a hurry I took mine to a detail shop and they charged me 200.00 but it was worth every cent!! Boat looks like it just came off the showroom floor

If he uses an orbital polisher it wont burn.

I did mine a few weeks ago and I am a total newb.

After looking at the pics, it just looks like caked on dirt.

MikeyMike
06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Ok I have some new info!! I talked to the origanal owner and he put poliglo on the enitre boat. The spots that are peeling is the old poliglo. There web site says poli Prep will remove it. Should I go back with that or is it a waist? Thanks for everyone's help.

Thanks to all the Canadain help. My wife is from Saskatchewan!!!

Jceclipse01
06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
It would be worth a shot

kaneboats
06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Definitely get it off and then buff out the gelcoat.

dru1974
06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
My family only owns Mac products so I can't see the pics but I wish you the best of luck be sure to reseal the tell coat when complete.

MikeyMike
06-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the help!!

Razzman
06-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Just take the crap off and buff it out then give it a real good waxing. Properly taken care of gel coat will look good for years without any gimmicks. Stuff like Poly-Glo are for boats that have been meglected. From their web site; "POLI GLO is a complete fiberglass gelcoat reconditioning system and will give your boat the "wet look" all the time"

Unless the original finish is trashed and your not able to bring it back then I would stay away from it.