PDA

View Full Version : Water hose

FLMOOMBA
06-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I was out on our lake yesterday (2007 Outback DD)and about three hours into skiing the "J" water hose from the water pump to the thermostat housing split lengthwise almost in two. The boat had taken on quite a bit of water, in fact the only reason I noticed it was that the automatic bilge went on and stayed on. The boat has only 100 hours on it and is freshwater only. The hose didn;t look rotted.

I idled back to the dock, with the bilge keeping up pretty well.

I went on-line later and discovered that Indmar had issued a recall on those hoses for certain engines. Of course mine was included in that recall but I had not been notified. Indmar says it will be covered, but the recall was in 2007.

I will be contacting them first thing on Monday to see if they're still offering a replacement.

Has anyone else had that problem?

murraymoomba
06-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Ours busted also, 2007 outback v. It was barley covered under warranty, 1 month left. I did not know of a recall on that.

deafgoose
06-12-2011, 07:33 PM
I assume this hose would be updated for 2008?

c.rix
06-12-2011, 07:45 PM
mine blew too got a updated one at the mastercraft stealership they had them in stock because they said they know its a common issue with inmar

jmvotto
06-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Where can i find the recall information

FLMOOMBA
06-12-2011, 10:20 PM
ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Bulletins/SB2007-2%20J%20hose%20Failures%20Rev..pdf

cab13367
06-13-2011, 01:36 AM
This should be sticky'ed under Service and Repair.

mmandley
06-13-2011, 10:42 AM
I dont know if you carry electrical tape but ina situation it will hold the hose together and help you make it to the doc.

Another option is this stuff.

http://seavenger.com/rescue-tape-mclf-fusing-silicone-repair-tape-p-904.html?osCsid=d3d382885062f2ea709721921b721d52

KG's Supra24
06-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I dont know if you carry electrical tape but ina situation it will hold the hose together and help you make it to the doc.

http://seavenger.com/rescue-tape-mclf-fusing-silicone-repair-tape-p-904.html?osCsid=d3d382885062f2ea709721921b721d52

Electrical tape didn't do much good for mine. Water seemed to be spewing at the same rate.

I grabbed some flex hose from a local autozone to get through the weekend. Ran by the local Supra dealer and they had some in stock also.

Has anyone called them about the recall? Should i contact someone about getting reimbursed or what?

Why did the Supra dealer not know about the recall?

KG's Supra24
06-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Talked to the local dealership, apparently it means nothing if you purchased the boat used.

I believe my new hose was approx $25, fwiw.

If you need a quick fix, i was able to by flex hose. It held me over for the rest of the weekend until I could get one from the dealership.

c.rix
06-13-2011, 10:24 PM
when I blew mine I used a combo duct tape-rag-zip tie fix to get me to the dock

deerfield
06-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Has anyone else had that problem?

Happened to my 2007 Outback DD during the three-year warranty period and was replaced by the dealer. Have not had a problem since. I keep a spare j hose on board just in case. Another 2007 Outback owner north of me also had the same problem. If memory serves correct, he went through a couple of those hoses. He operates in a shallow lake with sand bottom and speculated the friction of the sand through the hose wore down the inside wall until it failed.

FLMOOMBA
06-14-2011, 08:43 AM
I spoke to Indmar about this. The guy I talked to basically said that since my boat was no longer under warranty they wouldn't cover the cost. I pointed out that they had issued a service bulletin back in 2007 about defective hoses, and that my engine was one of the ones listed. A real company would honor a repair cost stemming from a defective part that was recalled, regardless of age.

The guy finally acceded to cover the cost, but said that a dealer must preform the repair, they needed the old hose back, blah blah blah.

For a cheap part that takes 5 minutes to replace, it's really not worth it. I was surprised that Indmar tried to dodge the problem, especially for such as low cost on a defective item. I'm going to let MOOMBA know also.

FLMOOMBA
06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Happened to my 2007 Outback DD during the three-year warranty period and was replaced by the dealer. Have not had a problem since. I keep a spare j hose on board just in case. Another 2007 Outback owner north of me also had the same problem. If memory serves correct, he went through a couple of those hoses. He operates in a shallow lake with sand bottom and speculated the friction of the sand through the hose wore down the inside wall until it failed.

They had problems with the hoses and had issued a recall:
ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Bulletins/SB2007-2%20J%20hose%20Failures%20Rev..pdf

I run my boat in a deep lake and don't pick up much sand. This hose split like it had been cut with a sharp blade, but the mesh inside was intact. Just a poorly made part.

FLMOOMBA
06-14-2011, 08:48 AM

This looks pretty handy. Going to pick one up.

KG's Supra24
06-14-2011, 09:29 AM
They had problems with the hoses and had issued a recall:

I run my boat in a deep lake and don't pick up much sand. This hose split like it had been cut with a sharp blade, but the mesh inside was intact. Just a poorly made part.

Mine did the same thing FLMOOMBA, it looked liked someone had cut it.

viking
06-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I'd better get me a spare sounds like. Does Skidim sell them or just the dealers?

newty
06-15-2011, 08:51 AM

I picked up a couple rolls of that stuff at the boat show 2 years ago and keep it on the boat all the time.

I'd better get me a spare sounds like. Does Skidim sell them or just the dealers?

If you go to any auto parts store they always have an assortment of automotive hoses in all kinds of shapes and bends. My buddy with an MB went to our local Napa and found the exact hose after digging around a little.

I understand its a recall item but for the relative ease and low cost of replacement I don't believe I'd be going after Indmar S/C or my dealer. Chalk it up to the cost of owning a boat. IMO:D

jmvotto
06-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Any one have apcture of the hose, good or bad and the dimensions so ican maybe pic up an extra. My serial # is on the maybe list... and i would like to carry a spare

KG's Supra24
06-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Any one have apcture of the hose, good or bad and the dimensions so ican maybe pic up an extra. My serial # is on the maybe list... and i would like to carry a spare

I'll try to take some pics tonight and measure the flex hose I picked up as well. No promises as my memory seems to fail me more often these days.

FLMOOMBA
06-16-2011, 01:25 PM

If your serial number is on the list, replace that hose now. It was heart-stopping to see the amount of water that was pumping into the bilge, and cut short a great day of boating.

The hose runs about $40,, which is why I'm not pressing the issue with Indmar, although I'm not happy with them. You'd think they'd do the right thing and send the part knowing there was a defect.

jmvotto
06-16-2011, 09:00 PM
where can you get one locally

jmvotto
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
This is where mine falls about 7000 prior to the failed prodcution run.

140 hours and still strong, famous last words. Is it something i can order at NAPA, autozone, ETC.

Hoses on 2007 Model 5.7L engines prior to S/N 137187 should be
inspected and replaced as necessary.

On 2007 model boats with engine serial numbers before 137187 the hoses should be inspected
and replaced as necessary. The hoses can be inspected/checked during your pre-delivery runin.
While the engine is running during your PDI run-in, observe the hose at various RPM
increments. Look for any areas of abnormal bulging or ballooning of the hose. If any
abnormalities are observed, the hose should be replaced. On boats that are already in the field,
be aware that the failures we have recorded have occurred during the first hour of operation.
You can inspect the hose during the 10 -20 hour check but generally if the hose was defective, it
would have already failed. If you have any doubts about the integrity of the hose replace it.