PDA

View Full Version : Where does the ballast drain?

pig140
06-11-2011, 02:56 PM
This may be a stupid question but....

I have a 2010 Moomba LSV that I traded for. My old Supra Launch had the Bertha system with drain holes for ballast on the side of the boat. When we drained the bags, water went out the side holes (like the bilge).

I filled the sacs for the first time yesterday and then drained them after we rode. They drained... the boat got lighter... I know the water was gone... BUT does it pump back out the bottom? If so, why do I have three drain ports on the side of the boat? Two on the right and one on the left....

11 Outback V
06-11-2011, 03:11 PM
You are correct. They drain out thru the pick ups. The three holes in the side are vent / overflow
Hope this helped

jmvotto
06-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Where do the vents attach to the bags on the 2011 xlv i looked at.Had the air plug in the vent holes, so kinda confused

11 Outback V
06-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Typically the bags have three holes. One on the bottom and 2 on the top. The bottom one should be a 1" to fill. One of the tops is plugged and the other is a vent. On my boat all the connections are in the rear and the front vent is capped

jmvotto
06-11-2011, 09:37 PM
That makes sense.

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
My 2009 Mobius Lsv does not drain out the side either.. I have the middle bag half full don't hear a pump running so I turned it off.. But I will see if it drains there... Meet up with a fellow member yesterday his 08 drained out of the side holes

cab13367
06-13-2011, 09:43 AM
My 2009 Mobius Lsv does not drain out the side either.. I have the middle bag half full don't hear a pump running so I turned it off.. But I will see if it drains there... Meet up with a fellow member yesterday his 08 drained out of the side holes

I believe 2009 is when moomba went to reversible pumps. So on your boat, the water drains back out the same way it came in - thru the intake under the boat. On the pre-08's, there is a separate drain pump that drains the water out thru the side thru hulls. The side thru hulls in your system is to let the air vent out of the bags and gives the water a place to go if the bag is full and the pump is still running (since the pumps are on timers).

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I believe 2009 is when moomba went to reversible pumps. So on your boat, the water drains back out the same way it came in - thru the intake under the boat. On the pre-08's, there is a separate drain pump that drains the water out thru the side thru hulls. The side thru hulls in your system is to let the air vent out of the bags and gives the water a place to go if the bag is full and the pump is still running (since the pumps are on timers).

ok so Do I still have to prime it to empty it???

Sorry to high jack the thread

mmandley
06-13-2011, 10:24 AM
ok so Do I still have to prime it to empty it???

Sorry to high jack the thread

No prime to empty.

The priming is from when you pull the boat out of the water the water is drained from the pump to the hull and you have to refill that section of hose, hince the primming.

Also since you have Jabsco type pumps they have a much better suction to pull the water into them with the impellors, the Areator and Tsunami pumps the 08 and older boats have the pump needs thats forced water to push the air out of the blades so it can start pumping water. Other wise is will get the Air lock people talk about.

Jabscos are much more efficent at pumping and draining then what i have but the nice things about the pumps i have is if i forget and leave them on, no big deal no damage done.

Jabscos will burn out the impellors and your stuck buying new ones.

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 10:26 AM
No prime to empty.

The priming is from when you pull the boat out of the water the water is drained from the pump to the hull and you have to refill that section of hose, hince the primming.

Also since you have Jabsco type pumps they have a much better suction to pull the water into them with the impellors, the Areator and Tsunami pumps the 08 and older boats have the pump needs thats forced water to push the air out of the blades so it can start pumping water. Other wise is will get the Air lock people talk about.

Jabscos are much more efficent at pumping and draining then what i have but the nice things about the pumps i have is if i forget and leave them on, no big deal no damage done.

Jabscos will burn out the impellors and your stuck buying new ones.

Ok So I can hear them filling the pump comes on.. Draining I hear nothing but switch light is on??/ What is this

mmandley
06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Ok So I can hear them filling the pump comes on.. Draining I hear nothing but switch light is on??/ What is this

You can hear them filling prolly from water spashing around in the bag, when its draining its just forcing the water under the boat so nothing to listen to.

If you really want to test the operation then you have to take a plug off the top of the bag, fill it with water and then with the boat on trailer turn on the drain, you will see the boat peeing all over the street.

Claudia always hates when i drain the entire boat of water as she wants me to bring free water home for the garden, extra weight means extra diesel and diesel isnt cheap at 430 a gallon lol. So i empty the boat.

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
You can hear them filling prolly from water spashing around in the bag, when its draining its just forcing the water under the boat so nothing to listen to.

If you really want to test the operation then you have to take a plug off the top of the bag, fill it with water and then with the boat on trailer turn on the drain, you will see the boat peeing all over the street.

Claudia always hates when i drain the entire boat of water as she wants me to bring free water home for the garden, extra weighe means extra diesel and diesle isnt cheap at 430 a gallon lol. So i empty the boat.

Cool I left it half full I will check that out today.. Yeah and fuel is not cheap these days...LMAo

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Ok light blinks once looked at manual it has pump is not primed or no water in line.. I have the gravity 3 on my boat.. Now with it on the trailer I hear the pump but it shuts down.. And blinks once..

mmandley
06-13-2011, 11:06 AM
I cant help you to much on these as mine is on 08 with different pumps.

As for primming if you know you got water in the bag, and that pump is saying it isnt primed then you prolly have an air pocket in the lin and the pumps cant pump past that.

The way you get rid of the air pocket is pressing on the bag and cussing at it will it works lol.

You can also disconnect the line from the hull to the pump and spray some WD40 up into the the impellor as this will protect it of the pump runs dry at all.

Sounds like you have an air pocket and the pump cant get it pulled threw.

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 11:08 AM
I will try cussing now... Couldn't I just fill it completely then drain it to get the air pocket out

mmandley
06-13-2011, 11:17 AM
I will try cussing now... Couldn't I just fill it completely then drain it to get the air pocket out

Yes this is generaly what i would do.

I used to have this problem a lot when i ran my 400s and no vents. I would go to drain them and nothing would happen. I sat on them, cussed and b**ched a lot. Then they would finaly start draining.

I went to the 750s installed the vent hose and have never had a problem.

Al Cab Folds his bags up really super nice like when they come out of the box, and he doesnt run vents and doesnt seem to have the air lock issue, i just dont have the skills or patience to learn and fold them bags up, so i ran a hose lol.

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes this is generaly what i would do.

I used to have this problem a lot when i ran my 400s and no vents. I would go to drain them and nothing would happen. I sat on them, cussed and b**ched a lot. Then they would finaly start draining.

I went to the 750s installed the vent hose and have never had a problem.

Al Cab Folds his bags up really super nice like when they come out of the box, and he doesnt run vents and doesnt seem to have the air lock issue, i just dont have the skills or patience to learn and fold them bags up, so i ran a hose lol.

Doesn't the over flow act as a vent.. Or do I need to do a vent Upgrade

pig140
06-13-2011, 11:24 AM
I didn't mind the hijacking, because this helps answer my questions. But as far as the original question, let me see if I got this right...

The capped front top hole is for burping or manual filling, the rear valve on top is for venting, and the rear bottom valve fills and drains.

Is this correct?

mmandley
06-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Doesn't the over flow act as a vent.. Or do I need to do a vent Upgrade

I think your bags are vented already, you should have a line comming off them and going to the side threw hull of the boat. If you dont have them then it something to look into doing.

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I do have those.. Thats where the 08 was draining its bags

mmandley
06-13-2011, 11:32 AM
I didn't mind the hijacking, because this helps answer my questions. But as far as the original question, let me see if I got this right...

The capped front top hole is for burping or manual filling, the rear valve on top is for venting, and the rear bottom valve fills and drains.

Is this correct?

Correct, what i would do is the vent reaches move it to the front of the bag, or closest to the cabin as this is the highest piont in the bag and where the air will collect the most.

@ Gottop69 correct sir.

I tied my vent into the drain so i wouldnt have a mess of threw hulls in the back of the boat.

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 11:36 AM
I will try all this stuff this weekend and if it don't work I will take that PoS to the dealer

KSmith
06-13-2011, 03:01 PM
I will try all this stuff this weekend and if it don't work I will take that PoS to the dealer

So it will fill but not empty is that your problem? You try to empty, the pump runs a bit, then quits, switch blinks once?

Have you tried the obvious and ensured the bag is not folding back over the fill/drain hole? If the bag has folded over the fill/drain then it will let water push into the bag as it lifts the material off the fill/drain hole, but won't empty as it sucks the material into the fill/drain effectively creating a plug...

Gottop69
06-13-2011, 03:59 PM
yes I checked that

11 Outback V
06-13-2011, 06:53 PM
pig140
You are correct.

Gotop69
I think your problem with the pumps running then stopping is due to the timer on the system. The new G III system uses timers and the pumps will only run for so long before the timer shuts down. I hate this feature because the bags dont always drain completely and its a PITA to drain all the way.

Gottop69
06-14-2011, 08:16 AM
MIne dont even start to drain

lloydw
09-09-2011, 06:54 PM
I have an 08 Outback DD with the sac that sits under the rear seat. It drains out the right side and has two connectors on the left (vent/fill?)
I have two issues:
1: My big issue is when I get to cruising speed the bag fills up by itself even without the pump on. I know I can turn the valve under the engine to stop it from filling, but I know I'm missing
something else, as I should be able to boat with the valve open and not fill the bag.
2: Other thing is bag leaks at the connectors sometimes, but probably just needs new o-rings or washers.

AS far as draining it goes, the pump will work for a while then seems to be sucking air, then I go back and lift the bag towards the drain side to give it some 'help'.
Not that big a deal for me.

Anyone can clue me in to why the bag fills up automagically?

Thanks

08LSV
09-09-2011, 07:42 PM

If you have the same system as I did the GIII or even if you have the GI, there should be a manifold somewhere with a sprinkler valve/valves. I used to have the problem with my ski locker bag filling all the time when we were driving. This resulted in me just turning off the ball valve on the thru hull and never using my bags. Finally I posted a question on here and everybody told me to clean out the diaphragm inside the valve. I did and everything worked great after that. There are six or eight screws I believe on the top of the valve, remove them, take out the spring and diaphragm clean them really well and reassemble. Then you should be ready to go.

Your valves you look something like this.

viking
09-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I have an 08 Outback DD with the sac that sits under the rear seat. It drains out the right side and has two connectors on the left (vent/fill?)
I have two issues:
1: My big issue is when I get to cruising speed the bag fills up by itself even without the pump on. I know I can turn the valve under the engine to stop it from filling, but I know I'm missing
something else, as I should be able to boat with the valve open and not fill the bag.
2: Other thing is bag leaks at the connectors sometimes, but probably just needs new o-rings or washers.

AS far as draining it goes, the pump will work for a while then seems to be sucking air, then I go back and lift the bag towards the drain side to give it some 'help'.
Not that big a deal for me.

Thanks

lloydw,
see my post # 5 to solve your fill under way issue
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?16153-Moomba-Outback-Gravity-I-Ballast-Issue&p=153808#post153808

#2 is probably what you think. O-rings on the quick connects I'd try first

Draining is the same on mine. Need to get weight on the drain side is my solution