PDA

View Full Version : Code Enforcement anyone????

04OUTBACK
06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Got home Thursday afternoon....opened my mail and had a letter from the Village... Informing me that "While in the neighborhood on an unrelated matter" they noticed my boat parked in the yard and that was a CODE VIOLATION...

Never thought about Village Codes... just knew my new neighborhood did not have any covenants..

Code says no boats in FRONT yard... not really equipped to park in backyard...without making ruts.. so...

I lowered tower, and squeezed it in the garage yesterday... gonna need a little rearranging for long term... but it'll work...
AND

I'll show them... I'll park 3 cars in the driveway now since the boat is hidden in the garage.. HAHA don'tcha love rules like that.
i understand.. i guess i dont want neighbors parking stuff everywhere.. but it was only for summer..

Think I'll park one of the cars on blocks for bit..just for fun :rolleyes:

sandm
06-11-2011, 10:46 AM
funny how that works sometimes.
was in a rental a few years back when I bought the boat. bunch of retired hoa nazi's lived there. there was no issues with my boat sitting in the driveway for a day or 2 at over 22ft long, but the minute my 8ft long enclosed cargo trailer was there overnight, I had a fine notice in the mailbox the next morning.

as you said, it's designed to keep the neighborhoods looking clean, but some carry it a bit tooooo far :(

good luck with the block thing :p

skiyaker
06-11-2011, 10:50 AM
LOL that's great- our neighborhood has been trying to make a rule about boats in driveways for 3 years now- but we don't have an association and there's no local code to address it. No sweat for me since I like to park the boat in the garage anyway, but I told them if they started a petition and failed then I would buy a $500 fishing boat and park it in my front yard.

I would offer to take the neighbors out on the boat to smooth things over but our neighborhood has a bunch of old people who don't understand having fun. I also told them their buick is uglier than my boat haha

jimmobius
06-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Well since I don't live in a hoa , just the city code applies for me. As long as the vehicle is on a hard surface on your property I could park the boat. It was on landscape rock beside the driveway for a while till I got a fence and gate put up beside the garage.

Jim

jmvotto
06-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Brad. Isnt NY great. I am waiting for mine since my trailer is in the back yard behind my fence. Still to wet to get it in the lower field out of sight.

How am i suppose to find your house now?

04OUTBACK
06-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Joe,
it'll have 3 vehicles in the driveway.. one will be on blocks... wait, that's probably against code too...

jpetty3023
06-13-2011, 12:15 AM
i live in an HOA and we have same rule about no boats, not even over night. i usually bring her home friday and take her back to prison sunday evening or monday afternoon and so far no warnings or fines but.....just had some folks from NY build a house next to mine so hopefully not all my "friends from up there" like to complain about this issue. guess time will tell as i will continue to leave her "home for the weekends"!!

supervised release of course!!

sailing217
06-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Stupid is I brought the boat home the day I bought it, left it hitched to the SUV in our small 4 house cul-de-sac, school bus comes around and tries to turn around but doesn't check her mirrors and the back end of the bus destroys my SUV to over $7k damage. NOW I have to pay for the damages on my insurance because "city/government vehicles have soverign immunity". AND my city gives me a $110 ticket because ONE of the Tires on my SUV was more that 12" off the curb!!!!!!

Next time you're in a cul-de-sac, try to get a tandem trailer and truck tires all less than 12" off the curb.

After fighting with the city superintendent, they nicely paid for my deductible. Yes I still had to have my insurance pick up the damages, and YES I had to pay the fine. We have a HOA 48hr rule on trailers and RVs which I'm fine with.

STANG KILLA SS
06-13-2011, 02:23 PM
ive gotten several tickets for the same, boat parked on a non all weather surface. ie the sideyard grass.

so i cut down our peach tree, took a skill saw to the fence. and now park it in the backyard hidden by a legal view blocking device, fence or shrubs.
rediculous rules, but no more hassles or tickets. you can plainly see the giant tower sticking above the 6' privacy fence though. but im legal now.
mine is actually from the city code enforcer.

kaneboats
06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I used to keep my boat on the side of the house under a "lean to" structure I could take down in 15 min. I made a "gate" out of lattice that blocked the view of it from the street. I was paranoid about the HOA. A few weeks later I noticed a guy down the street had 3 boats all along the side of his driveway. Our HOA does not have the resources to keep up. If someone complains they might send you a letter asking you to comply.

Razzman
06-14-2011, 12:24 AM
I had one of my previous boats parked on a cement pad next to the driveway I'd poured just for seasonal boat parking. Next door neighbor bitched to the city and they came out and reminded me that boats cannot be visible. Cool I said and did this in the short term (6 months). Neighbor bitched again, the city came out again but couldn't do anything as you couldn't see the boat. :p

DOCDRS
06-14-2011, 12:52 AM
I had one of my previous boats parked on a cement pad next to the driveway I'd poured just for seasonal boat parking. Next door neighbor bitched to the city and they came out and reminded me that boats cannot be visible. Cool I said and did this in the short term (6 months). Neighbor bitched again, the city came out again but couldn't do anything as you couldn't see the boat. :p

that is hilarious

zabooda
06-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Just watch when he starts touching up his wrought iron furniture as it may be best to keep it covered.

joaquin12345
06-14-2011, 07:09 AM
funny how that works sometimes.
was in a rental a few years back when I bought the boat. bunch of retired hoa nazi's lived there. there was no issues with my boat sitting in the driveway for a day or 2 at over 22ft long, but the minute my 8ft long enclosed cargo trailer was there overnight, I had a fine notice in the mailbox the next morning.

as you said, it's designed to keep the neighborhoods looking clean, but some carry it a bit tooooo far :(

good luck with the block thing :p

Thats so funny, Im not in a rental, actually buying the damn place and the same exact thing happened to me. Had my 24ft RZ4 act almost 30ft with trailer and platform parked on street or driveway and no complaints but the minute my 10ft enclosed trailer was parked i got warnings

wolfeman131
06-14-2011, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Razzman;143506]Cool I said and did this in the short term (6 months)./QUOTE]

HA! Love it. Playing by the rules.