PDA

View Full Version : Leaving bilge pump on?

jbheuerman
06-09-2011, 11:00 AM
So I have an idea to keep a dehumidifyer running at all times inside my boat while it is being stored. I store it outside with (two covers). It gets very humid in the summer months and I don't want mold to build up. I was going to run a garden hose from the dehumidifyer to the bilge pump so I don't have to keep emptying the tank every day. My question is, if I keep the bilge pump switch on, and it only kicks on every so often when the water builds up, will it still run down my battery? It should only be on no more than a week at a time whereas I usually get out every weekend. Thanks for the help.

kaneboats
06-09-2011, 11:20 AM
It should only run for 10 sec. or so. Don't see how that would cause a problem.

wolfeman131
06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
keep the battery on a trickle charger (I'm assuming you will already have power running to the baot to run the dehumidifier) and you shouldn't have any issues.

cab13367
06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I can't imagine that the dehumidifier would collect so much water that it would cause the bilge pump to come on that often. And Kane is right, it would only come on for a few seconds at a time. You should be fine.

rc5695
06-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're running a dehumidifier in your boat and letting the water it collects sit in the bottom of your boat until the pump kicks on, aren't you kinda defeating the purpose? You've got a pretty ugly cycle there. Why not run the hose out the drain hole? Or just leave the plug out so any water it collects drains out?

zabooda
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
X2 with rc.

Jet
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Hmmm dehumidifer means heat right?? And pumping out xtra water sounds dangerous?? Why not go this safe route. A solar panel and a blower motor sucking all of the humidity out! You can run a blower hose up the the hight point and blow it out under the cover and its safe!! Jet

solar panel:

blower motor:

Shooter
06-10-2011, 01:10 PM
I keep a dehumidifier in mine just the way you are talking about. It is rare to have enough water accumulate to make the bildge kick on. I do not leave mine in all the time tho, just a day or two after a lake trip. It is the best way I have found to dry the boat out in a timely manner.

lsvboombox
06-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're running a dehumidifier in your boat and letting the water it collects sit in the bottom of your boat until the pump kicks on, aren't you kinda defeating the purpose? You've got a pretty ugly cycle there. Why not run the hose out the drain hole? Or just leave the plug out so any water it collects drains out?

X3.........

jbheuerman
06-10-2011, 05:02 PM
The main reason for the dehumidifyer is to keep and suck the moisture and humidity out of the wet carpet or what may be in spots I can't get to cleaning. I think it will be isolated enough in the engine compartment to prevent moisture from coming back into the main part of the boat. I have a 30 qt dehumidifyer and it will fill up completely within 1 night.

I thought about running a hose out the drain hole, but a regular garden hose is to big, plus its kinda a pain getting to it each time.

Still looking for options. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and add on to my shed.
Thanks for the opinions.

futuredeadguy
06-14-2011, 07:02 PM
I agree about the heat. I once left my window down on my truck's driver door and a torrential downpour hit and blew hard into the open window. I put a dehumidifier in it and that sucker got HOT!! Very hot.

Jim

Hmmm dehumidifer means heat right?? And pumping out xtra water sounds dangerous?? Why not go this safe route. A solar panel and a blower motor sucking all of the humidity out! You can run a blower hose up the the hight point and blow it out under the cover and its safe!! Jet

solar panel:

blower motor:

matt75
06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Isn't a dehumidifier inside a boat that is stored outdoors gonna try to suck the humidity out of the entire planet?

Here in Florida, during a typical humid summer, I bet that baby would never shut off.

Especially if the drip pan isn't allowed to fill to activate the shut-off switch

That's what I was thinking. That would never shut off here in S. Texas either.

jbheuerman
06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
The two covers I have on it now hold the moisture in. It's seriously humid here too in the summer, so I'm not sure if it would ever shut off either. I am concerned about the heat, but I wouldn't think it would be an issue since there is plenty of air space around it. Again, this is just a trial. Still trying figure out a better way to keep the humidity and moisture out during the summer months.
Any other suggestions??

Jet
06-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Why are you not jumping on the solar/blower motor idea?? Jet