PDA

View Full Version : What speakers for my Roswell tower?

loudsubz
06-08-2011, 06:57 PM
I might be downgrading from my krypt HLCD. Last year I ran them on our 2010 LSV but we also had the stock roswell tower with 4 cans because we liked the light portion of the bar so much. I was forced to put my krypts on the top of the tower and it was fine for the most part but we have a bridge we go under and this year the water has risen and we can't clear it.

I have put my krypts up for sale and I was looking at just using the stock 4 can setup with better speakers inside. I originally wanted the Bullet 650 Coax but they are sold out and on backorder so I am not sure when they will be available.

Are there any other decent drop ins that will give me good output that is almost comparable to the HLCD?

cowboyl
06-08-2011, 07:32 PM
what roswell cans do you have? i did a mod on my roswell cans, with a pair of Exile SX65 coaxial, and they sound good ( so far, still have to tune). you can see it here:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=15090

MLA
06-08-2011, 07:50 PM
You need to check out the Kicker KM6500.2 system It is designed for boaters in your exact situation. They should drop right in to your existing Roswell pods. They are an HLCD setup, but the separate horn and continuous 6.5" mid-base woofer delivers great volume out to the rider, yet pleasant sounding near-field music.

The Exile XS65c in-boat speaker is not an ideal choice for a tower setup, especially if you are looking to keep the level of distance you are getting out of your other HLCDs.

http://www.kicker.com/km65002

deafgoose
06-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Exile was the first thing thst came to mind.

loudsubz
06-08-2011, 07:53 PM
The Roswell 4 can

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/35381_455706321272_507736272_6226771_8288131_n.jpg

MLA
06-08-2011, 07:58 PM
The Roswell 4 can

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/35381_455706321272_507736272_6226771_8288131_n.jpg

Looks like you got the Kicker components. You can either leave the remote tweeter as a dummy to fill the hole, or, pop them out and replace them with some puck style LED pods. $.02

cab13367
06-08-2011, 08:12 PM
MLA,

From your replies to audio related posts on this forum, it's obvious that you are very knowledgeable on the subject. I was just wondering if you run a stereo shop or are otherwise in the business?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Al

matt75
06-08-2011, 09:26 PM
You need to check out the Kicker KM6500.2 system It is designed for boaters in your exact situation. They should drop right in to your existing Roswell pods. They are an HLCD setup, but the separate horn and continuous 6.5" mid-base woofer delivers great volume out to the rider, yet pleasant sounding near-field music.

The Exile XS65c in-boat speaker is not an ideal choice for a tower setup, especially if you are looking to keep the level of distance you are getting out of your other HLCDs.

http://www.kicker.com/km65002

I have the roswell pods with 3 light setup. The 6500.2 wasn't a drop in. The kicker horns flare out and won't clear the inner aluminum mounting circle where the stock kickers were. I had to cut out about 1/4 inch on each pod to get the 6500.2 to fit properly.

I used a dremel with cut wheel, followed by sanding wheel on the cuts I made. They do sound awesome though. Drop Phil a line. I believe he recommended the ix500.2 amp for them.

MLA
06-08-2011, 09:48 PM
MLA,

From your replies to audio related posts on this forum, it's obvious that you are very knowledgeable on the subject. I was just wondering if you run a stereo shop or are otherwise in the business?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Al

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I do have a shop and do marine audio and other accessories like ballast.

MLA
06-08-2011, 09:54 PM
I have the roswell pods with 3 light setup. The 6500.2 wasn't a drop in. The kicker horns flare out and won't clear the inner aluminum mounting circle where the stock kickers were. I had to cut out about 1/4 inch on each pod to get the 6500.2 to fit properly.

I used a dremel with cut wheel, followed by sanding wheel on the cuts I made. They do sound awesome though. Drop Phil a line. I believe he recommended the ix500.2 amp for them.

Thanks for the heads-up. The last set of Roswell pods I did was an older set with just the Kicker KM coax, not the components, and the cut out was just wide enough. I have also run into a couple aftermarket pods that needed the opening enlarged. I found a jugsaw with a metal cutting blade worked real easy. Just tape the top of the pod and bottom of the saw so as to not scratch the pod. I do believe Kicker did a running change on the horn and it has a slightly smaller ID then the first. The new ones look a little different, but didnt have an older set on hand to measure. Maybe Phil can comment.

KG's Supra24
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
What krypt hlcd do you have?

I had the bullet coaxial last year and switched to the krypt 6.5 hlcd this year. The aluminum had to be trimmed a bit but not much.

From what I have read the kicker is also a good option. I also believe the wetsounds coaxial fits with some trimming. There are two wetsounds models, you would want the higher powered one. You should be able to search for pics of all of these setups. I can show pics of bullet and krypt.

I have the flat back 4 can roswell, fwiw.

loudsubz
06-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I have the 7.7 krypt.

I also don't want to spend too much money on the new setup, so Im trying to use the money from the sale of the krypts for the new setup. Don't need to go over the top since we only use the boat on weekends 2 months out of the year.

mcdye
06-08-2011, 10:52 PM

I used a dremel with cut wheel, followed by sanding wheel on the cuts I made.

Do you have some pictures? There has been other threads on what changes are needed for them to fit in the 4 can bars.

jmvotto
06-08-2011, 11:01 PM
I have the 7.7 krypt.

I also don't want to spend too much money on the new setup, so Im trying to use the money from the sale of the krypts for the new setup. Don't need to go over the top since we only use the boat on weekends 2 months out of the year.

get the krypt 6.5 for about 200 per pair on ebay and they should be a direct fit , and sell the 8" on ebay for the same. Of course if you like the sound.;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/HLCD-WAKEBOARD-TOWER-LOUD-SPEAKERS-BOAT-MARINE-SPEAKER-/230629789774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b29b504e

kicker hlcd will work as well

matt75
06-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Do you have some pictures? There has been other threads on what changes are needed for them to fit in the 4 can bars.

Boats in the shop and I didn't take any install pics. The horns require the most cutting of the roswell setup. The back of the horns are small, and then fan out. There are several 'strips' on the horn that interfere with the larger mounting surface of the roswell pods. When I first got them, the horn sat about 1/2 inch above flush in the pod if I remember correctly.
I would suggest the method MLA used as a dremel wasn't fun. it's pretty thick aluminum and be careful of the weld points on the mount surface.

My supra is a 2007 and you can see the 6500.2 in my avitar/pics section. The wires hanging down in the pic are for the 'soon to be installed' 55w light to led conversion I bought from roswell.

KG's Supra24
06-08-2011, 11:33 PM
get the krypt 6.5 for about 200 per pair on ebay and they should be a direct fit , and sell the 8" on ebay for the same. Of course if you like the sound.;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/HLCD-WAKEBOARD-TOWER-LOUD-SPEAKERS-BOAT-MARINE-SPEAKER-/230629789774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b29b504e

kicker hlcd will work as well

You got it! Cheap solution if you are happy with your current setup. If you do alot of wakeboarding you are likely going to miss hlcd's if you go to coaxials.

cab13367
06-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I do have a shop and do marine audio and other accessories like ballast.

Thought you might. Thanks for the time you spend on this forum and the solid advice that you give. It's very much appreciated! What's the name of your shop in case forum members in your area want to stop in?

MLA
06-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Thought you might. Thanks for the time you spend on this forum and the solid advice that you give. It's very much appreciated! What's the name of your shop in case forum members in your area want to stop in?

Well, thank you, im just happy to be here. :cool:

mcdye
06-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Boats in the shop and I didn't take any install pics. The horns require the most cutting of the roswell setup. The back of the horns are small, and then fan out. There are several 'strips' on the horn that interfere with the larger mounting surface of the roswell pods. When I first got them, the horn sat about 1/2 inch above flush in the pod if I remember correctly.
I would suggest the method MLA used as a dremel wasn't fun. it's pretty thick aluminum and be careful of the weld points on the mount surface.

My supra is a 2007 and you can see the 6500.2 in my avitar/pics section. The wires hanging down in the pic are for the 'soon to be installed' 55w light to led conversion I bought from roswell.

It seems that we may have different cans. Here is a thread that I posted pics of the '10 bar. https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=14774&page=2