PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the forum...

ian ashton
06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
LOL.

I just have a few:

1. Why can't posts be edited? I'm a member of a ton of internet forums, and they all allow editing of posts. The 15 minute edit rule is obnoxious.
-Editing comes in extra handy when you have a For Sale post - when your item sells the original poster can edit or close the initial post to inform buyers that the item is sold. This seems to be essentially what Ed G is trying to do with that thread, but the need to PM a mod to sell something is stupid, it will never work. The mod's are giving themselves too much work.

2. This forum NEEDS an "Off Topic" board. The General Chat section gets littered with stuff completely unrelated to Moomba boats, which is fine, but it really skews the purpose of that board: "Questions & Comments about Moomba boats"

3. In the 'How To' board there should only be 1 "sticky" and it should be a continually updated index of the basic important stuff, like Prop Shaft Alignment, Winterization, etc. The forum has a search feature, users can quickly find what they are looking for, we don't need a bunch of stickies.

4. Why are threads locked at a certain point (especially noticeable in the 'How To' board? If you have a question, starting a new thread for the same topic just clutters things up.

5. There are too many threads with people's names as the subject. Send a PM.

Without suggestions, we can't improve. None of this is meant to offend anyone, just things that I have experienced on other forums and stuff that I think will help improve and build the boards.

kaneboats
06-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Sounds like somebody wants to be a moderator.

ian ashton
06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
LOL, I'd rather be a Delegator :)

moombadaze
06-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Ian, hope this helps with why--the Edit time issue is a result of threads being deleted-this way only a mod can delete a thread (after 15minutes)and we are not deleteing threads unless a majority of the mods agree.

Good ideas by the way

scoot_gt
06-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Ian, hope this helps with why--the Edit time issue is a result of threads being deleted-this way only a mod can delete a thread (after 15minutes)and we are not deleteing threads unless a majority of the mods agree.

I'm not up and up on my PHP recently but editing posts and editing thread titles & threads (ie. deleting them) should be different settings.

kaneboats
06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
With the system here if you go in later and delete your first post you will delete the entire thread. We are trying to avoid that situation. If you need to edit a post, just send a PM with the whole post to your favorite moderator with the changes and we'll be happy to swap it out for you. It' a simple cut and paste.

ian ashton
06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Why doesn't someone just tell Ed to stop deleting his old threads? lol

sandm
06-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I think that statement above is listed in merriam websters under the heading "rhetorical question" :)

sandm
06-08-2011, 04:25 PM
ian,
agree with the edit thing. every other forum I belong to will allow it and the post does not disappear if you edit it to nothing. just goes blank. sure it's some setting to edit vs delete..

strongly agree on the offtopic idea. it's a skiers-ran forum, not independent, so don't know about how that would work, but it sure would be much easier to post in...
the other ideas I could take or leave. with an ot section, the names thing would kind of be a moot point as that's what ot is for :)

something tells me ed would win the postwhore category if we did have an ot area....

cab13367
06-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Ian,

Good suggestions - I totally agree with all of them.

Al

kaneboats
06-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Guys, please keep in mind that there are some suggestions we can do something about but others where we are at the mercy of the powers. Most of what we do is just spam fighting.

WaterBullDawg1980
06-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Who are these powers you speak of? Do they have email addresses?

Especially on vBulletin it is simple to create a new discussion board for Off Topic. The only reason I could see for them not to add such board is bc of issues involving some of our more "flagrant" and "excitable" posters forgetting this is a family first board.

But that is where our great moderators would have to step up their game!

newty
06-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Yea the rule kinda sucks so... please dont hesitate to pm me and I'd be happy to edit or fix theads for anyone. I'd love to exercise my newly appointed "super Moderator Powers".:p

KG's Supra24
06-09-2011, 09:36 AM
How about tapatalk? I know it has been brought a couple times in the past. Sure would be nice for those of us who use the phone to check the boards.

ian ashton
06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
How about tapatalk? I know it has been brought a couple times in the past. Sure would be nice for those of us who use the phone to check the boards.

YES! Add that to my list of demands!

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Any thought given to any of this?

dru1974
06-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Only problem I had was when two mods were making changes to my posts to piss me off. I was so mad and offended I no I get a lil carried away sometimes but they seem a lil shall I say buddy buddy. And no offense Kane because you seem really great but the mods seem to be pretty good pals

lsvboombox
06-16-2011, 08:03 PM
oh good god dru. Nobody was intentionally trying to piss you off.

and yes, all the moderators get along most of the time.

We do have our spats - just like everyone who has brothers does, but we work them out and try to have fun and do the best job that we can.

My advice...quit taking what you read on the internet - especially on community forums, seriously.

how does the axis thread piss off SC but the mods of their own site making a joke of the place doesnt ?????????

dusty2221
06-16-2011, 08:10 PM
You certainly aren't promoting brand y in a good way....

lsvboombox
06-16-2011, 08:11 PM
we aren't promoting brand x on a website paid for by brand y.

didnt say you were promoting. said you were making a joke of brand y's website

reread

lsvboombox
06-16-2011, 08:16 PM
it ain't real healthy to take oneself so damn seriously and SC thanks us for the great job we do for maintaining the best forum in the market!

lol.. you obviously dont take yourself seriously

lsvboombox
06-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Nope.

Real life - yes, sure, somewhat.

But not on here.

It's all just entertainment

Interesting you admit you dont take your moderating tasks seriously or SC website seriously , yet SC still loves you... speaks volumes of them.. I hope the guys that built my boat took their tasks seriously......

jmvotto
06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
mine must have been, they forgot to glass the bow at the front of the ski locker:confused:

lsvboombox
06-16-2011, 08:32 PM
if your boat was built on a Friday, I'd worry

If your boat was built by the maniacs that made mine - No Worries

mine was made on a saturday, so i guess i am f*cked.... i found a beer can under the floor panel the day i picked it up

KG's Supra24
06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Ian, Mmandley posted the below contact information in another thread.

Forum Admin
Kurt Jenkins
[email protected]

Perhaps, we as a group, could decide the most important things we would like to see and send him an email or a link to the discussion. From my understanding, he may be the one that has control of forum software upgrades.

kaneboats
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Ian, Mmandley posted the below contact information in another thread.

Forum Admin
Kurt Jenkins
[email protected]

Perhaps, we as a group, could decide the most important things we would like to see and send him an email or a link to the discussion. From my understanding, he may be the one that has control of forum software upgrades.

No, just tell your moderators what you don't like and they will purchase and install new software to your liking.

Edit: I hope you see the sarcasm dripping from the words above. I'm glad you have decided to seek out a source that actually has control over the change you want. I wish everyone would do this.

KG's Supra24
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
I had assumed Kurt would listen to an email from the moderators before an email from the average joe.

However, I know for a fact that the tapatalk software has been brought to his attention from the Supra board and nothing was done about it. I believe it was "should come in the next site upgrade". I believe that comment is over 1 year old now, though.

Nonetheless, maybe it's still worth sending a consolidated list of request.