PDA

View Full Version : Grab Rail as Tow Point?

Lynn Syndrom
06-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Hello - Just wanted to understand if the grab rail located on the transom of the Outback's can be used as a tow point?

I have been using the ski pole and the tower to tow with and wanted to understand if there is enough strength in the grab rail to use as a tow point also. The 2003 model has four anchor points where the grab rail mounts onto the transom above the swim platform.

My thought is to use it as a point to tow a tube or skier if the number of people in the boat requires someone to sit in the rear seat.

Thoughts?...Best Practice?...

mmandley
06-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Yes the O ring in the middle is designed to be a tow point.

The outter rings that you use to tie the boat ot the trailer, Transom tie downs can also be used as a tow point but then its much harder for the person to stay behind the boat.

New Guy
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
My 02 does not have the ring in the center of it. It is just a straight handle. I definitely would not even consider it. I think with the newer boats they must have reinforced that area.

mmandley
06-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Yea if theres no ring then dont pull with it. Its just a grab handle, mine has the ring in the middle but i prefer to use the pylon