PDA

View Full Version : hour meter / depth sounder combo

clark
03-14-2005, 10:54 PM
In the new WaterSki magazine and some other places I have seen that new on the 2005 Moombas is a depth sounder integrated with the hour meter. Does anyone know anything about this. I bought the optional depth sounder. I have seen this in several different places. If this is so, why did I need to buy the extra depth sounder?

Any Info would definitely help future buyers.

Clark

Jon
03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
I have never seen this depth finder integrated with the hour meter. The hour meter is digital for 2005 and is placed with the RPM Guage. I'm a dealer and have heard nothing.

clark
03-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Jon, I do not see it either,,, and the manuals only show the old style Tachometer with the dial type hour meter. I was just wondering since I have read it several different places.

Thanks.
Clark

OnTheH20
03-15-2005, 02:33 PM
I think the confusion is in the wording of the magazine. One review states, "New gauges include depth finder and tach with LCD hour meter." Another says, "Gauges include new tach with LCD hour meter and depth finder for 2005."

They are talking about two new gauges; (1) A new depth finder and (2) a new tach/hour meter combo. Not one "all-inclusive" gauge.

clark
03-15-2005, 02:56 PM
You are probably correct. The wording looks exactly like that. I guess it really doesn't matter since I purchased the depth sounder anyway.

When you guys picked up your boats, did you receive two complete sets of keys. I got two of everything,,, except only got one key that goes to the lock on the engine compartment.

Clark

Moomba4me
03-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey Guys,
I am now considering getting a depth finder for the boat that I have yet to receive. From past posts I have read that by the time you are alerted by the depth finder it is too late anyway. What do you think? Obviously you are convinced since you have one, why?

mobiusLSV05
03-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey, Ive seen a new boat in the showroom without the depth meter. GET ONE!!! The results without are pretty ugly-- a blank white insert that makes it look like something is missing.

silverski
03-16-2005, 10:52 AM
From my experience, the depth finder isn't going to help you much when you are cruising at 35 miles an hour as by the time you are alerted that you are in shallow water it may be to late.

I do however think it is a necessity as I use it when I am about to pull up a skier to check my water depth and also if we stop somewhere to get in the water to cool off it is helpful to know what kind of depth you are in. I also use it around unfamiliar ramps and beaches.

OnTheH20
03-16-2005, 11:25 AM
HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

The family has been out only 3 times on the new boat and the depth finder saved us twice already. As someone said, it won't help you at 35. But when your already concerned about depth and moving slowly, knowing for sure can keep you out of trouble.

Besides, the factory gauge does look a lot better than the blank! :)

clark
03-16-2005, 12:13 PM
The scary part of havnig the gauge is when you are in 20 feet of water and all of a sudden, you see dasheson the gauge. That will scare the bageebees out of you ,,, then it returns to 20 feet. The manual says that the dsashes are either the water is too shallow, too deep, or too dirty to tell. It still scares you no knowing. I really see benifit when you are in a place where you have someone behind you. If the water is 5 feet and you think it is 50, that is not good. I don't want anyone behind me in only 5 feet of water. A bad fall could really mess you up. I would definitely buy one. Earlier I read where people were using fish finders/depth sounders. Do they look funny on the dash?

Moomba4me
03-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Thats another option we have been discussing, the fish finder. What a great idea for gettting a picture of the lake bed. Any thoughts on why this would not be a good alternative?

Catdog1
03-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Have posted this before, but I feel so strongly about it.... I have used a humminbird 400TX for 5 years now that graphically shows the bottom profile and gives a digital read. It is practical even at 35; its supposed to read depth at up to 50 mph. It seems to give me some visibility in front of the boat.. Only performance issue is occasional false readings in some lake conditions ( heavy wind ripples on water ) such that air gets entrained under the hull and baffles the sensor. Once in a while I might need to shut it off and on once to clear its mind. I still love the thing.

Yes, if there is a sudden change, like a shear underwater cliff or a telephone pole it won't see it.

Most bottom conditions change in a trend, so danger shows up before you get there. All my drivers listen for beeps ( drastic changes ) and watch out of the corner of their eyes for sharp slope shift and/or sharp digital countdowns. This helps because other drivers don't know the lake like I do.

No comparison to a gauge. Have used both and won't go back. I think there is a picture of the unit through the windshield in one of these old pictures. Keep forgetting to post a picture of the sensor installation in the bilge.

http://members.cavtel.net/hct

jeffreyala
03-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey Catdog,

Can you email me an install pics of that fishfinder? I just bought an 01 Outback and want to mount up my eagle, but am a little worried about trying any modifications on the hull.

I looked at your pics and that looks like Lake Anna? I am over in Chesterfield. Maybe I'll see you out on the lake. My Outback is green and white with a tower.

Jeff

[email protected]