PDA

View Full Version : Surfing Distance From Boat

Lawdog
06-07-2011, 11:54 PM
I am still trying to figure my boat's wake out. So I was wondering how close to the swim platform do you typically get when surfing? I suppose what is the closest and furthest away you should be while surfing? I suppose it is a loaded question because alot of it will depend on the amount of ballast. Just a general consensus I suppose. Thanks.

cab13367
06-08-2011, 12:54 AM
I am still trying to figure my boat's wake out. So I was wondering how close to the swim platform do you typically get when surfing? I suppose what is the closest and furthest away you should be while surfing? I suppose it is a loaded question because alot of it will depend on the amount of ballast. Just a general consensus I suppose. Thanks.

I surf about 5' - 20' from the swim platform. Here's a vid of me last summer behind my LSV to give you an idea. 750 in the rear locker, 400 in the ski locker, wife and two little kids on board, 10mph, wake plate all the way up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0lG1qsl6zA

in the bubble
06-08-2011, 07:51 AM
My 06 xlv likes
Port or left
750 to 1k in rear locker
680 under left seat to battery location
400 on top of left seat
1180 front locker
11mph. Plate half to all way up
May need some ballast in right rear locker so boat won't cavitate.

Right side or starboard

1100 right rear locker
400 or more in left rear locker
400 under seat behind driver
1180 front
11.7mph, plate 3/4 to all way down

you da man
06-08-2011, 08:57 AM
My 06 xlv likes
Port or left
750 to 1k in rear locker
680 under left seat to battery location
400 on top of left seat
1180 front locker
11mph. Plate half to all way up
May need some ballast in right rear locker so boat won't cavitate.

Right side or starboard

1100 right rear locker
400 or more in left rear locker
400 under seat behind driver
1180 front
11.7mph, plate 3/4 to all way down

that's really close to my setup with my XLV before I sold her. Regular side wake was much better and easier to setup. On the goofy side I filled the opposite V-drive sac 200-250lbs as well to give the wave more push.

you da man
06-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I often started off my platform and surf back up to my platform...so that saying, I would go from 0'-20ft but usually stayed around 5'-15' on goofy side. Regular side my friend can go way back to 20'-25' because the wave had better shape and cleaner.

Lawdog
06-09-2011, 11:49 AM
For some reason any further back than 6' I cannot stay in the wake. I dont know how ya'll are getting back 20'. Thats almost the entire length of my surf rope.

kaneboats
06-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Usually just more weight up front-- lengthens the pocket.

bergermaister
06-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Me thinks more ballast = bigger/longer wave = more distance.

Bigger/longer board = bigger sweet spot = more distance.

Inliner
06-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I generally am running 1,100 to 1,400 lbs in my Outback on the goofy foot side and I am surfing from 4 feet to about 12 feet behind the platform. I am actually going to try to stretch it a little this weekend by adding some extra weight to the front to spread it out a little and see what happens.

dusty2221
06-14-2011, 01:07 PM
This far :)

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/arkansas.jpg

kaneboats
06-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Best answer award goes to above post!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

kaneboats
06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
By the way, you won four (4) smilies. Congrats!

dusty2221
06-14-2011, 03:01 PM
This deserves a sticky!

Inliner
06-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Gordon...now that your into wakesurfing, why not check out 11 Outback V's boat that is currently for sale in the classified section.

It's a Florida boat and all set-up for you.

Puts out a pretty decent wake for skiing too

How many hours you got on that 2003?

Oh! Almost forgot - Brian Sheets (Waterboy) says hello.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=15163

I am actually VERY happy with my boat Ed! You're going to love this, I was asked to sell it a couple of weeks ago and I am like heck no! I have been surfing for several years now although it is more of an apres ski thing than a love. I usually ride my wake skate or trick ski and then surf for fun and entertainment! This weekend I had 16,000 acres of perfect water for my trick ski and took advantage of it. Never even broke the surf board out this time! Although I did discover I need a better vest... Right kidney still a little sore from a rough landing... ;-)

New Guy
06-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Dusty sweet picture but I think you really need to move all your boards to the goofy side for that little bit more weight.

mnpracing
06-14-2011, 05:54 PM
This far :)

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/arkansas.jpg

Can you share how do you have the boat weighted?

you da man
06-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Can you share how do you have the boat weighted?

Judging by a fat sac strapped to the sundeck...i'd say it's definitely heavy on the rear corner AND it's a 24ft Supra.

dusty2221
06-14-2011, 08:38 PM
If I recall, we had a total of 1150 in the rear and the center 1180 full, with 3 guys on the boat.

mnpracing
06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Judging by a fat sac strapped to the sundeck...i'd say it's definitely heavy on the rear corner AND it's a 24ft Supra.

Yup, looking for something more specific than "heavy" :roll:

KG's Supra24
06-15-2011, 09:47 AM
I believe dusty is correct, might have been in the 1200-1300 ballpark in the rear corner but thats about right. I also usually run 300ish in the non-surf side when running 1000 or over on the surf side. It helps to get the whole arse end under.

I have been to several different lakes lately and noticed that water depth can make a big difference. In that picture, the depth is approx 60 ft. I think depth only comes into play when the water is less than 15ft deep, though.

Oh, and it helps when the driver keeps the boat on a lean towards the surf direction. You don't have to make a circle, just keep the boat laid over, hard to explain but you can feel it.

kaneboats
06-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I am sure you are right about the depth. You'll especially notice it if you get down under 8 to around 6 feet. The wave flattens into nothing. There's no where for the energy to go.
I know what you mean about the "lean" of the boat. A driver can help the rider when (s)he's losing the pocket by turning toward the surf side. Slight turn in that direction cleans up the wave, especially if you are running not quite enough ballast. It can make a poor wave surfable.

mmandley
06-15-2011, 11:48 AM
We do this a lot too.

The thing that does suck is on our local lake Hagg they have enforced a counter clockwise boating direction. Now if your goofy surfing everytime the boat has to turn it flattens out your wave. The regular riders though always get a good wave even when turning.

kaneboats
06-15-2011, 01:14 PM
on our local lake Hagg they have enforced a counter clockwise boating direction

That's the NASCAR influence. Left turns.

Lawdog
06-15-2011, 11:17 PM
OK I have the 750's in the rear and the 1100 in the center. Plus I still have both my 400's and my 600 that I got from the factory that I had Wakemakers replace the plugs on that I can fill with my Tsunami pump. By my calculations I have a good 4000 lbs to play with. Any suggestions on what and where I should place the weight??

mmandley
06-16-2011, 08:16 AM
OK I have the 750's in the rear and the 1100 in the center. Plus I still have both my 400's and my 600 that I got from the factory that I had Wakemakers replace the plugs on that I can fill with my Tsunami pump. By my calculations I have a good 4000 lbs to play with. Any suggestions on what and where I should place the weight??

From what ive read 1100+ in the rear so toss that 600 on the rear deck, then fill a few hundred pounds on the opposite side for push. Take the extra sacs and they go along the surf side to make up for people. If wave gets to steep add more nose weight.

mmandley
06-16-2011, 08:19 AM
@ Kane and Ed,

Yup last year got pulled over while were making trips up and down the rock face side of the lake by the dam because thats where all the good water was, Marine Patrol said we want everone to go counter clockwise, and no one should be cutting threw the middle of the lake unless they are not pulling anyone.

This way all the water is trashed equally LOL. < i added that >

This is messed up because before the tubers would stay on one side and let the wake boarders stay on the other. We dont have any issues with Jet Skis as the Patrol watches them like hungry hawks.

This isnt so bad when the lake is nice but on a windy day that means you have to ride threw the chop to get back to glass.

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 09:23 AM

You can probably get your 750 full with a 400 filled on top of it. That will keep 1100ish hidden. You can position your 400's in there to get both sacs hidden but they won't fill all the way. If you don't mind visible weight, throw your other 400 or 600 on the sunpad and fill it until you are comfortable. We usually tie a rope around and hook the pylon. Then fill the bow sac all the way and put a few hundo on the oppo side of the surf wake.

:arrow: I'm pretty sure i just said the same as Mike, ahhh well

cab13367
06-17-2011, 03:09 AM
This is messed up because before the tubers would stay on one side and let the wake boarders stay on the other.

I've never found this to be true. My experience is that most tubers go wherever they want - they couldn't care less about our desire for smooth water.

Inliner
06-17-2011, 06:21 AM
My issue has always been the unpredictability of jet skiers. I have found that they don't seem to look real good when they whip out those really sharp turns. But the one thing they are predictable on is they generally like an audience. On the chain I ski and ride on it is so big with so little available shore base that their antics tend to be subdued. The same goes for tubers on the chain I frequent. Oh, and did I mention the REALLY BIG 'gators? ;-) They see one of those and it tends to limit tuber participation!

mmandley
06-17-2011, 08:36 AM
You can probably get your 750 full with a 400 filled on top of it. That will keep 1100ish hidden. You can position your 400's in there to get both sacs hidden but they won't fill all the way. If you don't mind visible weight, throw your other 400 or 600 on the sunpad and fill it until you are comfortable. We usually tie a rope around and hook the pylon. Then fill the bow sac all the way and put a few hundo on the oppo side of the surf wake.

:arrow: I'm pretty sure i just said the same as Mike, ahhh well

Thats ok i stole my info from You Da Man and you for how your boats are filled. I dont run as mcuh weight as my boat isnt as big

mmandley
06-17-2011, 08:36 AM
I've never found this to be true. My experience is that most tubers go wherever they want - they couldn't care less about our desire for smooth water.

Very true on the weekend but come out on a weekday and i tend to see them stay away from us lol. If there even out.