PDA

View Full Version : Water proof digital camera

maxpower220
06-07-2011, 02:14 PM
I am looking for input from those who have a water proof or water resistant, point and shoot digital camera. I "misplaced" my Sony point and shoot camera at my retirement, so I need/want to replace it.

I am looking at the Sony TX-5 or perhaps TX-10 (but it is quite pricey). I had, for a few days, one of the first Olympus water proof cameras. It took terrible pics and I returned it for the Sony. The Sony took excellent pics, especially at low light.

Just wanted to see if anyone had input on either of the Sony or Olympus water resistant point and shoot cameras.

Thanks.

KG's Supra24
06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Is your main focus pics? I don't have any experiences with the point and shoots but I love my Kodak Playsport.

Its primary focus is video but takes 5mp stills that look pretty good.

I could be wrong but can't you buy a water proof/resistant casing for most point and shoots? I really like the new Nikon S9100.

ChrisK
06-07-2011, 02:38 PM
If you're not interested in much customization while shooting but you would love to have 1080 video capabilities as well as sharp images... go with GoPro, their waterproof cases are good

bjames
06-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Just picked up a GoPro Surf Hero when I was in Orlando. Got it from Ron Jon's. We ended up getting all the accessories like spare battery, surf board clamps, chest mount and head mount and the large mount for the tower. Cant wait to try it out. The camera is capable of 1080 HD and sound.

jmvotto
06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Ditto on the go pro hd, rented one powder cat skiing waist deep. It's on my list....

c.rix
06-07-2011, 09:24 PM
I have a olympus that I really like and its good for up to 10 meters or something like that even came with a neat float

deafgoose
06-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Everyone is so crazy about the GoPro but nobody ever talks about the Contour HD. WTF?

c.rix
06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Just picked up a GoPro Surf Hero when I was in Orlando. Got it from Ron Jon's. We ended up getting all the accessories like spare battery, surf board clamps, chest mount and head mount and the large mount for the tower. Cant wait to try it out. The camera is capable of 1080 HD and sound.

Ditto on the go pro hd, rented one powder cat skiing waist deep. It's on my list....

just fyi DO NOT CHARGE THEM ON ANY OTHER CHARGE BESIDES THE GO PRO ONE PROVIDED I learned the hard way the first time I charged it I guess they now have a sticker or disclaimer on them

maxpower220
06-07-2011, 09:59 PM
This will be my "everyday" camera, just to shoot snapshots. I figured that I would get one that I can take on the boat too. My DSLR is too big to carry around everywhere and doesn't do well at taking "ebay/craigslist" type pictures.

I have a portable HD video camera, don't need that.

jmvotto
06-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Everyone is so crazy about the GoPro but nobody ever talks about the Contour HD. WTF?

Forgot the name of it but my guide had one on his helmet and the end of a pole , cool YouTube video.

http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?user=steamboatpowdercats&v=Ctuf3uPM_Io&view=videos

maxpower220
06-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I wound up buying a Sony TX-10. It should be here by the weekend.

maxpower220
07-12-2011, 08:19 AM
As an update, this camera is incredible. Pictures, especially in low light conditions are great. The HD video is excellent. Not having to worry about water on the camera is great too.

jbgp1200
07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
I have a water proof up to 30m Olympus and I have to say it takes better pictures under water then it does above.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1496

Here is a pic from that camera.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/5930327510_30cd06e3c3_b.jpg

Here is a video from that camera (Don't judge, first time I ever tried wake surfing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jvFGhQmmHo

So if you were all considering an Olympus, I would stay away. My iPhone 4 takes far better pics ad video.

02Outback
07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
For those who have the GoPro HD Surf camera..how does it hold up while mounted to the wakeboard/surfboard?

I am thinking about picking this up for this weekend.

Shooter
07-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I use an Olympus stylus tough as an everyday knockaround camera. Pics are acceptable, not the best, but this camera is tough as they come. It is my boat/camping/4wheelin/oilfield cam, and it has been completely abused for nearly 2 years, yet has never failed to work properly.

ian ashton
07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
I use an Olympus stylus tough as an everyday knockaround camera. Pics are acceptable, not the best, but this camera is tough as they come. It is my boat/camping/4wheelin/oilfield cam, and it has been completely abused for nearly 2 years, yet has never failed to work properly.

Same here, although after looking at the specs on that Sony I think I might buy new. I've had my Olympus for like 4 or 5 years - since before I had my boat in fact, and its still going strong.