PDA

View Full Version : Always Spilling Gas When Filling

jstenger
06-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Is there a trick to not overflow gas when filling the tank? I have ben to multiple gas stations, and it always happens. I try to calculate how many gallons I need so that I can stop before it overflows, but that doesn't always work. I have tried fast and slow filling, both with the same result - gas on the side of the boat.

Thanks

james yarosz
06-07-2011, 09:18 AM
I listen to the sound of the gas going in as I fill the boat.The pitch of the sound will change when it's almost full.I stop filling then.

you da man
06-07-2011, 09:25 AM
You'll hear a little gurgling sound before it overflows. Don't try to top off the tank or get to the next 25 cents either...you'll overflow it.

sandm
06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
just like mentioned, I listen to the sound and stop close. I also grab 3 or 4 paper towels out of the window washing area. stick the hose into the fill slot but not all the way. wad the paper towels under the hose and then stick it the rest of the way in. the paper towels will absorb some if not all the gas that may slop out.

KG's Supra24
06-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I always see the jet boat guys carrying a rag with them. They put a rag around it so when it overflows they soak it up real quick.

kaneboats
06-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Then they light it and throw it at each other, right?

KG's Supra24
06-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Then they light it and throw it at each other, right?

You got it! Right there at the pumps .. a good game of hot potato.

sandm
06-07-2011, 11:33 AM
watching some of those guys go, I think they use it as a bandana afterwards :p

rc5695
06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
You'll hear a little gurgling sound before it overflows. Don't try to top off the tank or get to the next 25 cents either...you'll overflow it.

same here...when I can afford it :rolleyes:

good idea keeping some papertowels under it when you get close too.

Shooter
06-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I listen as mentioned above, but I also climb up in the boat and turn the key on real quick. This way I can watch the fuel gauge as well. We always load up with snacks and drinks while filling and this way I can place items in the boat and keep an eye on the filling. When she gets to the 3/4 mark I hop down and take it from my observer and top it off.

cab13367
06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I listen for the gurgling sound too but the gas stations on the way to the lake tend to be right off the main road so sometimes, it's hard to hear it. Sometimes, I will caculate how many gallons I need to fill based on the hours used during the last outing and when I'm getting close, I set the pump to the lowest setting. It will usually shut off my itself without overfilling but not always.

moombahighrider
06-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I do like sandm, but I wrap 2 or 3 paper towels around the whole nozzle. Then I stick it in and set it on auto. The nozzle clicks it off when it gets filled and the paper towel stops any spill. Perfect! I never leave it unattended, but I don't want to stands there holding the handle for the whole time. I am lazy, i suppose.

jmb
06-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I listen for the gurgle also and use paper towels

schuylski
06-09-2011, 06:44 PM
I almost always have center plug out of the boat and leave the access square out of the floor as well. Provides a perfect window to see the gas tank and level. Tried checking gas guage but it's too much trouble to jump all the way up in the boat, also pretty inaccurate.

deerfield
06-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I listen for the gurgle

Same here. Only way to avoid overfill and spill.