PDA

View Full Version : 99 outback won't start

Brettp
06-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I had my 99 outback out this weekend and had a full boat. It started to cut out when I would go to take off. Then today I took it to the lake and it wouldn't start. It turns over but won't fire. I'm thinking from what I have read that I should start with the fuel filter but just wanted to know if there were any other things I should look in to? Also is there anyway I can run the boat without having to take it all the way to the lake?

DOCDRS
06-06-2011, 07:20 PM
you can start it on the trailer , just don't run it for more than 10 secs without water. you can disconnect the intake hose at the strainer or water intake and jam your hose into the intake hose or buy a fake a lake to start it in your driveway........you don't want to burn out your impeller by running it dry for too long and also overheating the engine........you could take your impeller out and run it just not for a long period of time as to overheat the engine......all these are good if you know what your doing!

cham
06-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I'll guess the fuel pump. Mine did this.

If you have a sight glass on your fuel bowls (carburated only) see if they're empty.

casmith71
06-06-2011, 09:38 PM
kill switch, oil pressure sensor, fuel pump, bad wire connections from starter to oil pressure sensor.

AaronWhitt82
06-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Disconnect the fuel line where it connects to the dual feed lines before the carb and put it in a plastic bottle.
Crank it over a few times and see if you have fuel coming out.
If not check the connections to the ignition, safety switch and fuel pump.

Brettp
06-07-2011, 10:17 AM
I will check The fuel pump, I noticed when I looked down in the carb and I gave it throttle that fuel was squirting in it.

casmith71
06-07-2011, 12:13 PM
the fuel you see is probably from when you hooked the 12v to the fuel pump, the fuel is the fuel left in the bowls of the carb. if the fuel pump is running with 12v hooked up then it seems evident to me that it is an electrical problem. the most likely thing is the oil pressure sensor.

Brettp
06-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I just replaced the fuel filter, still nothing. I've checked all the connections and everything looks good. I disconnected the fuel line before the carb and cranked it, there was fuel flowing through still. I think i'm going to have to just break and take it in.

casmith71
06-07-2011, 03:07 PM
carb may be flooded or there isn't spark. have you tryed to crank it with the throtle fully open? with the age of your boat could be the coil is going bad.

AaronWhitt82
06-08-2011, 04:53 AM
If you have fuel flowing out of the fuel line when you crank it next thing I would check as suggested above is to see if you have spark.
Pull a spark plug out and see if it's wet with fuel.
Check the cap and rotor as well too see if they are corroded.