PDA

View Full Version : Toddler life jacket ??

jmvotto
06-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Need a 30 to 50 lb toddler life jacket with collar and padded crotch strap.

anyone with little kids who have used them and have an opinion.

Thanks,

kaneboats
06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I had at least 3 OP ones from ebay that were pretty darn good for years. I think I'm just about done with that size now. I'd give 'em to you but there's nothing left of them.

jmvotto
06-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks Kane. i understand the condition part.LOL we have a bunch of small ones but my 2yr old( 6/19 )is pretty tall and weighs 35 lbs so we have to get the bigger size but because she is so young we want to have the rollover feature on it for the collar and heads up system.

lsvboombox
06-06-2011, 09:39 AM
BJ's has some kidder life jackets. bought one for my daughter.. fits really good... Most of them seem like they choke the kids out and make them look extremely uncomfortable.... The kidder one fits my daughter well.....

sandm
06-06-2011, 11:19 AM
don't skimp..

sad tale from some fisherman this weekend..

http://www.ktvb.com/news/One-girl-dead-deputies-searching-for-man-after-boating-accident-123165783.html

KG's Supra24
06-06-2011, 11:21 AM
We bought a couple different styles like a Hyperlite, an off brand neoprene and one of the generic orange ones. Our daughter liked the orange one more than any of them as it gave her the most flexibility.

Not the U shaped orange one, but a toddler orange one, had the head cushion and crotch strap. It was different from the neoprenes bc it didnt have a lot of flotation on the backside.

dusty2221
06-06-2011, 11:37 AM
We have gone through several styles before we landed back at the traditional foam style. I was shocked these are still around, this is the same type of vest I grew up wearing. Out of the 3 different kinds we tried, this one seems to work the best.
http://www.shop4lifejackets.com/images/colasa-child-small-life-jackets.jpg

We have two other couples that were using the other styles, and they have both now switched to these. My daughter has been in one since she was about 2 if I recall.

rc5695
06-06-2011, 12:01 PM
We've always went to Walmart and picked up these for the little ones before theyr'e swimming on their own. They tend to last at least 5 years if you keep them out of the sun. I just pitched one last year that was ~14 years old becuase the buckle broke, the rest was in good condition save a little fading.

rc5695
06-06-2011, 12:05 PM
The above jackets are not good for swimming at all. They're designed to roll the kid onto their back and float them face-up. Early swimmers have a pretty difficult time staying on their stomach with those jackets. So as soon as they start really trying to swim on their own, we move them up to a jacket like this one. My daughter has this exact one and loves it.

I've never had a "padded" crotch strap, but I'm sure that would be useful as MANY times, esp. for my daughters, they'll have a rash from it by the end of a long day of swimming.

Once they out-grow this jacket we switch to neoprene. They tend to be much more comfotable.

I'm intrigued by the foamies above, and would be inclined to try them depending on the price... They look like they have a better fit under the arms, which would keep it from riding up...But they'd also be bulkier there..

The MOST important thing to choose, make sure it is a once-piece jacket. Do NOT buy a jacket that is split down the side under the arms... it will always ride up and be very uncomfortable. Made that mistake once nad now they're emergency-only jackets...Just for small kids riding in the boat and not swimming...

jmvotto
06-06-2011, 01:06 PM
don't skimp..

sad tale from some fisherman this weekend..

http://www.ktvb.com/news/One-girl-dead-deputies-searching-for-man-after-boating-accident-123165783.html

very sad, Our little one loves her life jacket and we has tons of them toddler and infant but she it a tweener. two big for the infant rollover type and can't swim yet. Our lake house is right on the water so we want to be overprotective. she motors pretty good.

I just bought two of these one for home for the neighborhood pool, one for the lake.

Thanks for all the replies

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Mustang_Lil_Legends_Child_Vest_3 0_50_Lbs&i=92566&merchID=4015&r=view

kaneboats
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
That one looks pretty good. One of the first things I have tried to do is just spend time floating with the kids in the water in the lifejacket so they get used to the idea of wearing it and being in the water. Then I would play "swim to me" even if I started 6" away. Yell with delight when she makes it to me. And so on. I almost lost both of my twin boys the same weekend when they were very small. Both wearing lifejackets and within a few steps of other adults but just floating there wrong side up. Being paranoid and vigilant I saved both of them within moments. Since then I started working a lot harder on teaching all kids to "swim" with their jackets on.

jmvotto
06-06-2011, 02:33 PM
That one looks pretty good. One of the first things I have tried to do is just spend time floating with the kids in the water in the lifejacket so they get used to the idea of wearing it and being in the water. Then I would play "swim to me" even if I started 6" away. Yell with delight when she makes it to me. And so on. I almost lost both of my twin boys the same weekend when they were very small. Both wearing lifejackets and within a few steps of other adults but just floating there wrong side up. Being paranoid and vigilant I saved both of them within moments. Since then I started working a lot harder on teaching all kids to "swim" with their jackets on.

yep, we have already had her in the pool with a jacket on, i just want the right one in case of that terrifying momement, which we hope to avoid.

My middle daughter who is now 10, was swimming a friends pool with a jacket on above ground pool, about 6 years ago the adults we 10 ft away talking, i suddenly saw some splashing and she was head first in a tube with her pfd on , I raced in clothes, watch, cell phone wallet etc. damn scary moment.