PDA

View Full Version : Need help with '99 Moomba Outback Please

Yamoombaha
06-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Hey Guys,

I've got a '99 Moomba Outback with an Indmar 5.7, 310hp w/ Holly Carb.

Yesterday was the first time we've run the boat this season. It left us stranded within' 5 minutes on the other side of the lake. :(

We were running across the lake at about 70% power and then the engine just slowed and died out.

We fogged the intake with starting fluid and it started right up and again died. I figured we may have water in the gas. We siphoned the bottom of the tank, filled it back up, and added some dry gas. No luck. Then we noticed the fuel pump was not running.

Here's the big question:
When should the fuel pump turn on? What turns it on? Is there a relay or a fuse? We can get the fuel pump to run by connecting 12v to it but it doesn't run on it's own with the key "ON" or while cranking. We dumped the water separator and can't seem to get any fuel into the engine now. :confused:

Any ideas??

kaneboats
06-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Do you have power to everything else? There's a master reset button on the back side of the engine pretty high up that is very hard to see unless you put your head behind the driver's seat and look in there. Try pushing it and see what happens.

Yamoombaha
06-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I do have power to everything else. (gauges, radio, starter, horn etc)

There is a red, what looks to be a master reset, on the back of the engine, where the main wiring harness plugs into a plastic cover. Inside the cover is the starter solenoid and some other wiring. That particular breaker seems to be good. Could that be the one you're referring to?

kaneboats
06-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Big, red button. That's the one. On my 2000 OB some stuff would work but some stuff wouldn't after I blew that breaker trying to run 3 ballast pumps off the 12v outlets. Boat would not run though. One push and I was good to go.

Yamoombaha
06-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Yea, checked that one.

As far as the fuel pump goes, is it supposed to run any time the key is in the "ON" position? Or, any time the engine is running?

I can only get it to run by hooking 12v up to it.

NCSUmoomba
06-06-2011, 01:35 PM
It sounds like the lead for the fuel pump has come off the ignition switch. My Outback has done this in the past.

Yamoombaha
06-06-2011, 02:08 PM
It sounds like the lead for the fuel pump has come off the ignition switch. My Outback has done this in the past.

Ok, I'll check that tonight. So does that mean the pump should run any time the key is in the "ON" position then?
Thanks-

JesseC
06-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Yea, checked that one.

As far as the fuel pump goes, is it supposed to run any time the key is in the "ON" position? Or, any time the engine is running?

I can only get it to run by hooking 12v up to it.

Here are a few statements that I stole from older posts by "Engine Nut":

There is a fuse in the system that protects the pump.Have you checkedit.Itis in a fuse block with two other fuses and is located near the plug on the engine where the boat harness and engine harness plug together. It has a cover in ot that is a couple of inches wide and 1/4" or so thick. The fuses are under that cover.

The fuel pump on a carb engine does not come on with the ignition. It works only when the engine is either cranking or running. It gets its power during cranking from the starter solenoid and when running from the oil pressure activated fuel pump safety switch that is located next to the distributor. I have attached a diagram. Some of the older switches have three terminals instead of two but they still work in a very similar manner.

KSmith
06-06-2011, 02:20 PM
The oil pressure activated fuel pump safety switch has been the root cause is several cases such as yours.

Yamoombaha
06-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks Guys,

I'm starting to see that safety switch in several threads now. I think I'll just replace it for now, it's only $16.00, and start there. I'll also check for any loose or disconnected wiring at the ignition switch. I haven't seen any fuses anywhere, but I'll look again. Thanks for all the ideas that have been submitted so far. :wink:

zabooda
06-07-2011, 01:23 AM
betcha it's the pressure switch.

AaronWhitt82
06-07-2011, 02:15 AM
After all the problems I've had with mine I pretty much know the fuel system like the back of my head LOL
I would start by disconnecting the fuel line where it connects to the dual feed line right before the carb and stick it in a plastic bottle.
Next, check that the wires to the ignition haven't disconnected. (Behind the dash where the key goes in.)
Then make sure that the wires to the safety switch are also connected.
I would also make sure that the boat is in neutral and not in gear. Maybe check the neutral safety switch as well. (Located on the back of motor near tranny)
I would also pull off the rubber boots to the terminals on the bottom of the fuel pump. Make sure they are nice and tight on the posts.
Maybe even wiggle them around and have someone crank it over and see if you get any gas going in to the plastic bottle.
If no gas I would say you need a new fuel pump. (Carter P4389) The safety switch only goes in to play after the boat is running.
When cranking the fuel pump gets power from the ignition.
If you haven't changed the fuel/water seperator in a while I'd also do that.

Hope this helps.