PDA

View Full Version : windsheild replacement questions

rc5695
06-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Well, long story short, the left windshield on my '00 kamberra exploded, and i need to replace it. Big curved glass wraps around from the front to the side... (Moomba photo attached for reference)

Anybody have any suggestions on where to get glass from, or should I just take it somewhere? I'm a pretty handy guy and do all my own maintentance and mods, but I'm not sure how tough it'll be to put in. Doesn't look too bad? Still trying to find someplace to get glass from... Haven't called my local dealer yet though. Any suggestions besides them?

newty
06-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Look for any manufacturer labels on the good windsheild and research your replacement from there. Its not going to be cheap. I would explore the possibility of claiming it on your insurance. If you do that then you can have your dealer install it.

rc5695
06-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Look for any manufacturer labels on the good windsheild and research your replacement from there. Its not going to be cheap. I would explore the possibility of claiming it on your insurance. If you do that then you can have your dealer install it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Since i posted this morning, I've emailed the "local" dealer and requested a price both ways.

Since you're post, I had my son look at the right side and I called TaylorMade. They said I have to get the TaylorMade p/n from Skier's Choice, so hopefully they'll give it to me...

Ryan

viking
06-06-2011, 11:49 AM
your dealer should be able to get the part # from SC once they have your HIN.

rc5695
06-07-2011, 11:51 AM
emailed SC and my local dealer yesterdaymorning and still haven't heard back from either one....might have to make some phone calls this afternoon...

rc5695
06-08-2011, 01:10 PM
hmmm...not good... SC does not offer my windsheild any longer.... Still trying to get the Taylor p/n to call them. My dealer said SC told them it'll probbly be around $1500 if they'll make it!!! :sad:

After some searching & creative thinking, I found a local place that custom bends lexan, acrylic, etc., and they do a lot of boat windshields. I'm going to run it by there Mon. & see if they can help me out. I have to think it would be significantly cheaper...and definitly wouldn't shatter again :rolleyes:

WaterBullDawg1980
06-08-2011, 01:19 PM
ouch. I knew they were expensive but man! Sounds like that is for the part only?

moombadaze
06-08-2011, 01:34 PM
I once shattered the drivers glass on a boat, the stickers/part numbers were on the passenger glass. That boat was only about a year old at the time and think the glass was around 75-150 ordered direct from Taylor. That was about 10yrs ago.

kaneboats
06-08-2011, 01:45 PM
There is an ad on my local craigslist in the boats section for a guy that does boat windshields. May want to check yours (or mine) to see what/where they are and if they can do anything.

Heck, here's the link (I could bring it to Sinclair if you need me to):

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/2426540791.html

And, see this:

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/2386862340.html

rc5695
06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the link kaneboats. I couldn't wait until Monday and have the boat here today. Going to run it over there after work and see what she says...

http://apcoplastics.com/default.aspx

kaneboats
06-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Keep us posted.

sailing217
06-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Happened to a crew member last year, different boat. $1500+ for each side is correct.

Probably worth it to look into the custom plexiglass job. Wonder if you could get them tinted already? Good luck

wannajet
06-10-2011, 08:42 AM
I priced a a broken windsheild for my 1999 mobius from Taylor Made i talked to them directly and it was 413.00 for glass and 75 to install. You have to send entire frame from damaged side. I would guess insured shipping would be another 100 or so havent done it yet. If this other place you are going to try works please let me know. I am in ga so that place is a possibility for me also. thanks

rc5695
06-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Update:
Bringing my boat back to them next Wed. (15th) for them to make a pattern and cut a piece of Lexan to fit. I'll have to install it myself, but it shouldnt' be a big deal. They said they didn't think it would need to be formed since the curve of the windshield isnt' very sharp. It should just bend into place.

Good news: $225
Bad news: should start getting a little cloudy after ~5 years, and start getting brittle.

I'm still going to pursue getting the glass for it, but for a couple hundred dollars, this will work in the meantime. I'm 1 week now with an email into SC with no repsonse. I sent them another this morning, so we'll see... Thanks for the info wannajet... Taylor said I needed the Taylor part number, so I'm still trying to get it from SC.

Oh yeah, I asked about having it be colored (light grey), and it would be ~$1000 to do the whole windsheidl (5 pieces). Not bad, but more than I'm willing to spend at this point. The "cloudiness" that starts after about 5 years wouldn't be as noticable with colored stuff though.

If this piece she cuts is truely flat adn just cut to shape, you can bet I'll be making a pattern out of vellum or something and saving it... I could do all the windows myself out of light gray for ~$600 then someday...

wannajet
06-10-2011, 05:52 PM
how thick is the lexan that they are useing for your window? I may try similar for mine and get lexan local. thanks

rc5695
06-11-2011, 05:48 PM
how thick is the lexan that they are useing for your window? I may try similar for mine and get lexan local. thanks

3/16" thick.

Do you have the same windshield as me you think? Wraps around the side in a big curve? You can see a pic of it in the Archive part of this site. I'd be happy to make you a copy of my pattern and mail it to you.

btw: McMaster-Carr 3/16" clear polycarbonate 4'x8' sheet was $160 before shipping... Scratch resistant stuff was almost double. So I figured for $225 I'd let her make the pattern and cut it and all. If it happens again I'll just order some and do it myself with the pattern I make.

sandm
06-12-2011, 10:14 AM
buddy did the lexan thing in his lund last spring as a temp(he bent it himself for around $100). it was well north of $800 for his glass replacement. supposedly there are only a few companies that make boat shields and they only keep enough stock onhand for the boat manuf. and a couple of extras. once those are gone, then it's custom off the old cad drawings, such as yours and his lund. he was told any boat over 6 years would be next to impossible to find if the glass design has changed.. he finally got his new glass this spring. insurance paid.

wannajet
06-12-2011, 12:22 PM
rc5695, not sure if they are the same or not since reading your posts i have made a pattern and cut a piece of 1/8 inch lexan try to put it in tomorrow it may not be thick enough but if it fits well i will get some 3/16. the 1/8 only cost 65.00. I just want a tempfix and this winter i will sendoff for the glass and empty the wallet in the process. thanks for the info and keep me posted on the progress.

rc5695
06-23-2011, 03:31 PM
It turned out PERFECT!!! She used clear 3/16" Lexan. You can only tell the difference is with polarized glasses, no other way without knocking on it! I'm EXTREMELY pleased, and she even installed it. I don't know if I'll bother trying to get the real glass for it or not. I'd like to at least see how much it costs...

That said, I'm disappointed that SC won't answer emails. It is 2011...Really? Hopefully maybe they're responding and I'm just not getting them through my employers firewall? I dunno... Last one I sent them was 6/10 and not even an acknowledgement... My local dealer's a little better, as I usually hear back from them about a week after I send it...