PDA

View Full Version : Bad day on the lake

Gottop69
06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
We took the boat out. And a big ass boat pushed us up against the rocks and bent up the prop. Anyone know where I can get a new prop maybe a better or faster prop. Top end. My boat is a 2009 moomba möbius LSV. Also what does it take to put this on myself. Or does anyone know a fast shop in dallas

Grant M
06-05-2011, 01:24 PM
That's terrible! How did it happen?

Anyone know where I can get a new prop maybe a better or faster prop. Top end.What prop are you running now? The stock prop for the LSV is usually an OJ #454 13.3 dia x 17.5 pitch with a .110 cup. This is the middle of the road prop with is good at lower end and good at upper end but not great at either. Keep in mind that these boats aren't designed for speed much greater that 45 - 50 mph.
Also what does it take to put this on myself.Installing a new prop is relatively easy, they just slide on over a key in the shaft and you torque the nut on and insert a cotter key to keep the nut from coming loose. If you do a search on this site on prop removal there have been threads on that topic like this one.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=14372&highlight=prop+removal

Shooter
06-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Give Nettles props a call. He can offer great advice on which prop is right for you based on how you use your boat. He will give you a guarantee that you will be happy with the prop, and he can supply you with the prop puller. He will also offer any assisstance you may need while changing the prop. Just a genuine good guy to do business with.

Gottop69
06-05-2011, 02:22 PM
That's terrible! How did it happen?

Anyone know where I can get a new prop maybe a better or faster prop. Top end.What prop are you running now? The stock prop for the LSV is usually an OJ #454 13.3 dia x 17.5 pitch with a .110 cup. This is the middle of the road prop with is good at lower end and good at upper end but not great at either. Keep in mind that these boats aren't designed for speed much greater that 45 - 50 mph.
Also what does it take to put this on myself.Installing a new prop is relatively easy, they just slide on over a key in the shaft and you torque the nut on and insert a cotter key to keep the nut from coming loose. If you do a search on this site on prop removal there have been threads on that topic like this one.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=14372&highlight=prop+removal

I can't get it to 40 mph. So not sure which prop it has. Where can I order one.

iwaterskihard
06-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Give a local prop dealer or repair place a call. I would also contact your local dealer regarding upgrading to a better prop. Keep in mind sending one for repair usually takes a few days. My suggestion would be to purchase a better prop and send the one you have on your boat away for repair. That way at least you always have a backup.

As Grant says pulling the prop should be very easy. I know on mine I just pull a cotter key, unscrew the nut and tap it off. Becareful DON'T LOSE THE KEY!

Installation is the exact opposite of removal. Place your key in the groove, push your prop on, tighten the nut, and replace cotter key!

By the way how did someone push you into the rocks? I'd lose it personally!

Grant M
06-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I can't get it to 40 mph. So not sure which prop it has. Where can I order one.

My 06 LSV tops out at 39 mph at 4600 rpm using the stock OJ prop. I waterski @ 31, wakeboard and tube @ 23 and surf @ 10.5 so this works fine for us.
I googled prop repair for Dallas and came up with:
http://www.jamespropeller.com/
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4819180/Best_Propeller_Repair_Dallas_a

Alot of forum members have had great things to say about Nettles in Austin:
http://www.nettleprops.com/

Hope this helps. :)
Grant

moombahighrider
06-05-2011, 04:09 PM
It sounds like you have the "wakeboard" prop, which is about 14.25 x 14. It is designed for low end power out of the hole and not so much for top end. There are definitely a lot of choices for replacement props, and it is so specific to your boat and your needs. Call jason at wakeprops.com and talk to him about your needs. He hooked me up with a great prop at a great price. Mention that you are on the moomba forum and he will take care of you and get you the right prop. I know that guys have good things to say about nettles, too.

Good luck. Sorry about what happened. Better the prop than the boat, though!

rdlangston13
06-05-2011, 04:40 PM
What lake did this happen at? You think you can get it fixed by next Sunday?

Gottop69
06-05-2011, 06:09 PM
What lake did this happen at? You think you can get it fixed by next Sunday?

Hubard. Yes I will have it fixed by then. I will order one and repair this one.

rdlangston13
06-05-2011, 06:36 PM
How exactly did that happen? Did they run into you or something while docking in a shallow area?

skylar18
06-05-2011, 08:42 PM
I second what someone else said. Call Nettles for their advice and tohave your prop repair. Do great work.

Gottop69
06-05-2011, 11:01 PM
How exactly did that happen? Did they run into you or something while docking in a shallow area?

Ran by in shallow water. it's my fault. I should have went out further. But people on hubard are a holes. Hell some guy almost ran over my daughter. When she was getting on the wakeboard 20 to 30 foot away from the boat. She won't even try to put it back on. So it's back to tubing for us for a few weeks I guess.

Gottop69
06-05-2011, 11:02 PM
I second what someone else said. Call Nettles for their advice and tohave your prop repair. Do great work.

Are they fast at shipping a new one and repair. Also what do those run?

skylar18
06-05-2011, 11:58 PM
I am not sure about shipping as I live in Austin but they have charged me between 100 and 150 in the past to do prop repair work. They also get it done in just a couple of days and it is good as new.

Still haven't mangled my own prop, the guys at the marina I keep the boat at have done it to me, but I figure it is a just a matter of time since our lake is so low.

Gottop69
06-06-2011, 08:02 AM
I am not sure about shipping as I live in Austin but they have charged me between 100 and 150 in the past to do prop repair work. They also get it done in just a couple of days and it is good as new.

Still haven't mangled my own prop, the guys at the marina I keep the boat at have done it to me, but I figure it is a just a matter of time since our lake is so low.

off topic do you keep your boat in the water or dry storage.. I have been wondering that.. I know i would have to take it out and clean it during the summer but leaving it in the water would help with my trailering issue

matt75
06-06-2011, 09:07 AM
$111 was what I was quoted a couple weeks ago.

Are they fast at shipping a new one and repair. Also what do those run?

rdlangston13
06-06-2011, 09:30 AM
a new one is typically around the $500 mark. not sure how long shipping takes since I have not done this yet to my boat but want to. the noise from the oj wakeboard prop is extremely annoying.

Gottop69
06-06-2011, 10:03 AM
a new one is typically around the $500 mark. not sure how long shipping takes since I have not done this yet to my boat but want to. the noise from the oj wakeboard prop is extremely annoying.

before mine was bent it vibrated pretty bad in a turn.. I found one a nettles for $415.. its a 381... I hope I didn't mess anything up driving it for a while with the prop bent

KSmith
06-06-2011, 10:33 AM
That prop has an awfully high pitch, I don't know anyone running 17.5 pitch on a tow boat. How did you end up chosing that model?

mmandley
06-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Its best to know what proyou got before ordering, one of the first things they want to knwo when you say i want to upgrade my prop is what prop you run and why you want to upgrade.

If you look at the back of your prop around the shaft, is a stamping that says who makes it and the size. Write all that down friend then call them.

Id say by your description you got the wake prop and you prolly want something more around the acme 537 i think its called because its better then stock but not had hard pulling a wake prop and gets you up to 40 for skiing.

skylar18
06-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Gotto,

It is kept in dry stack storage. I give them a call 15 minutes before we arrive at the Marina and it is in the water waiting for us. When we are done for the day, we just bring it back in, put the cover on it, then walk to the car....they do the rest for us. Literally from my house we can be at the marina, and have left the dock in 10 minutes.

They have wetslips as well and I could have gotten one, but this way the boat stays cleaner and I don't have to worry about stuff being stolen. Bit leery with all of my Wetsounds equipment.

They do have 3 work stalls and I use them to wash and wax the boat, and to do any work on it.

This "valet parking" system works well, my wife and the kids use the boat all summer long without having to trailer and launch it.

Gottop69
06-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Gotto,

It is kept in dry stack storage. I give them a call 15 minutes before we arrive at the Marina and it is in the water waiting for us. When we are done for the day, we just bring it back in, put the cover on it, then walk to the car....they do the rest for us. Literally from my house we can be at the marina, and have left the dock in 10 minutes.

They have wetslips as well and I could have gotten one, but this way the boat stays cleaner and I don't have to worry about stuff being stolen. Bit leery with all of my Wetsounds equipment.

They do have 3 work stalls and I use them to wash and wax the boat, and to do any work on it.

This "valet parking" system works well, my wife and the kids use the boat all summer long without having to trailer and launch it.

I found a place like that on lake tawakini<--- spell check... on hubard its 300 a month.. If I am gonna spend that much on a slip I will buy a way nicer boat.. Hell that and my boat I could buy a 80k dollar boat.. but the other one on lake tawakini is only 160 a month

skylar18
06-06-2011, 11:27 AM
My price was 180 a month. However I now have a tall tower so I don't have to take my tower up and down. Once again, wife just drops it offand they put it away. That is about $290 a month. Expensive but worth it. We use the boat 3-5 times a week during the summer because it is so convenient.

rdlangston13
06-06-2011, 01:18 PM
My price was 180 a month. However I now have a tall tower so I don't have to take my tower up and down. Once again, wife just drops it offand they put it away. That is about $290 a month. Expensive but worth it. We use the boat 3-5 times a week during the summer because it is so convenient.

do you move it to a standard more economical storage area for the winter months or do you pay 290 year round?

skylar18
06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Year round. We usually use the boat until first week in December, than break it out again first of March. So really no lake usage for 2 1/2 months. But during that time I am using the work docks cleaning, waxing, modding, fixing, etc.

We have found the most spectaular time of the year to be on the lake is from September to mid November. No one is out there, no wind, and still very warm.

KSmith
06-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Youch! That sounds great, but for 3500 bucks a year storage, plus the cost of Marina gas, I can fund my kids penchant for breaking every car we buy him...

cpatten
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I feel your pain I only had my LSV two weeks and I bent the prop. Good news now I have a backup and puller kit. I always take with me on the boat, A little expensive but I like having the padded case with the spare prop,nut, key and tools.

skylar18
06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Youch! That sounds great, but for 3500 bucks a year storage, plus the cost of Marina gas, I can fund my kids penchant for breaking every car we buy him...

I do get a month free if I pay the year up front! It is expensive but worth it as it has enabled us to use the boat as much as we do.

That being said, I don't even own a trailer and I miss not being able to meet everyone on some of these Supra and Moomba get togethers.

My son just turned 16 and got his license. 2 weeks later his first ticket. My insurance doubled when I added him to the policy........