PDA

View Full Version : ugh what have i done !

cowboyl
06-05-2011, 12:26 AM
ok i tried the PG speakers that came with my Roswell cans, and they sound good....but the riders said they couldn't really hear much. when i did some tests the speaker focuses sound straight back and to about 50 ft.

so after reading and reading and reading some more, i sent Brian a message to get some more insight. i stumbled on a pair of exile coaxial 6.5". the guy gave them to me for a song because the store didn't know how to set them up and said they were crap......Ill take em. :)

so, came home, pondered......and then tore into my cans....
after the install which took all of 25 min , after i put my thinking cap on. the first 20 min ill call duh time.....its the typical "its slapping you in the face" mod but you cant see it.

first thing i noticed was how much better the sound spread is. i don't pound the crap out of my stuff but i like good sound. ill have to finish tuning out of the neighborhood before my neighbors get too mad.

so here's the before and after.

Razzman
06-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Looks good! First come speakers, then amps and before you know towers! It's a lifestyle!

kaneboats
06-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Uh, Ed? Or is it Brian? Actually, I think its Newty. Yup, Newty.

newty
06-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Uh, Ed? Or is it Brian? Actually, I think its Newty. Yup, Newty.

Don't hate the Playa... :p

moombadaze
06-06-2011, 04:53 PM
oh yea-its Newty.

bergermaister
06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Funny the times I've been around him he always has a hat on- cover the horns??

newty
06-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Jealousy is a terrible cologne on all of you!

cowboyl
06-06-2011, 08:21 PM
LMAO at all of you ......gotta love how well we all stay on track. i know my A.D.D. kicks in at the strangest times. heres a stereo thread and ............hey who wants to go skiing lol

rdlangston13
06-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I dunno, I think it might be mike, his boat is what got me headed towards exile and emptying my savings account...

mmandley
06-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I dunno, I think it might be mike, his boat is what got me headed towards exile and emptying my savings account...

Huh who me?

Hey just because people call Exile and say " I want Mikes Stereo " and Brian actualy has a price sheet and all the equipment in a file. I dont know.

Newty is who got me started in boat stereos too. I Blame Ryan for the first dose, i Blame Brian for the addiction and i blame myself for no self control.

newty
06-07-2011, 09:12 AM
LMAO at all of you ......gotta love how well we all stay on track. i know my A.D.D. kicks in at the strangest times. heres a stereo thread and ............hey who wants to go skiing lol

Sorry cowboyl this forum has a way of wandering wildly off course now and then.... no, more like ALL THE TIME! Hey those Exiles look great in those cans. I'm getting ready to put exiles in some older Sampson cans and wondered how they would look. Well done!

You are all very welcome by the way!!!

I like beer, and girls with big b... blue eyes! LOOK SQURREL!

(watch this rabbit trail):D

cowboyl
06-08-2011, 07:40 PM
this forum has a way of wandering wildly off course now and then.... no, more like ALL THE TIME! Hey those Exiles look great in those cans. I'm getting ready to put exiles in some older Sampson cans and wondered how they would look. Well done!

You are all very welcome by the way!!!

I like beer, and girls with big b... blue eyes! LOOK SQUIRREL!

Thanks NEWTY, it didn't take hardly anytime to do the install. i like the look of the Roswell cans (and i like to support local manufactures as well). from what ive seen i think the older Samson cans look pretty good too

gotta go do another mod to my ...........oh a quarter !

loudsubz
06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
How do they sound?

I was thinking of putting 4 of them in my roswell tower over the stock kicker components.

I have HLCD now but looks like I may be downgrading because of space.

cowboyl
06-10-2011, 01:07 AM
How do they sound?

I was thinking of putting 4 of them in my roswell tower over the stock kicker components.

I have HLCD now but looks like I may be downgrading because of space.

They sound real nice at close quarters, ill do the "moomba drive away" type video similar to the one that is posted on exiles site soon as i can. so far i can easily go 8-10 houses away and it sounds pretty good still but ill give it a real good crank once she comes back from the doctor.....

i know they will not project like the HLCD but if you are doing limited long distance and don't mind them being a little softer they may work for you.

mcdye
06-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Does your cans have the metal strapping with the bolt in the rear of the can to hold the speakers in? How did you mount them in the cans?

KSmith
06-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Pizza... Mmmm...

cowboyl
06-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Does your cans have the metal strapping with the bolt in the rear of the can to hold the speakers in? How did you mount them in the cans?

yes, the cans have the metal strap. i used the exsisting back plate (the PG speakers come with a back and then the grill) and rubber gasket. i placed the exile sxt65 in the back plate and drilled 4 holes just offset from the originals and then bolted it back up.

i used a very small shim (which ill take out ) there is a small lip that i should grind down. i left the lip for water drainage out of the speaker.