PDA

View Full Version : New Breakin Period? How Long and Why?

mobiusLSV05
03-12-2005, 02:40 PM
I am waiting on delivery of the new boat and heard about a breakin period from a guy from SC at the show-- he said 10 to 20 hrs. plus an oil change after that. Anyone heard of this in the past. You would think it would be ready to go? Help!

smokedog2
03-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Worry, Worry worry. Relax, do what they say the water is too cold anyway.

It is my sneaking suspicion that the break in is for breaking in the driver, but maybe it really is to get the heads seated.

Do as they instruct, you will worry less at 1,000 hours.

SD2

Zihuatanejo
03-12-2005, 07:32 PM
I thought that was a long time too when I heard that. I looked in the owners manual that you can get on line from the moomba website, (just go to library and it's on the right hand side) and they said only a seven hour break in.

mobiusLSV05
03-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Rather be safe than sorry, don't have the luxury of getting a new boat every 2 yrs. so what I do I want to good for me and the boat. Save me money in the long run

Zihuatanejo
03-12-2005, 11:59 PM
the boat that we had before the outback was a 17 ft. maxum i.o. It had a 4 cylander 135 hp. motor. We broke that in in about 18-20 hours and we have had it for ten years and have had no problems what so ever, so maybe the longer break in period helps but I would think that the factory would tell you what is the right amount of timre or they would have a lot of boats comeing back.

Catdog1
03-13-2005, 03:31 AM
Its all about the engine. Need the metal -on - metal parts to wear in. Crankshaft bearings, rings on cylinder walls, etc. Need rings to seat well before you slam power to it and potentially damage the cylinder walls or other parts. Marine duty is severe duty compared to automobile, so its wise to break-in slowly. Need early oil change(s) to remove metal slivers from the oil pan and filter. Use the time to train some drivers cause this will handle different.