PDA

View Full Version : Wake surf tip

mmbrew
06-04-2011, 11:06 PM
I have a 2010 lsv with the standard ballast system. My 12 year old son can surf without the rope easily. I am a different story. I cannot find the sweet spot. I am 190 lbs and use the 5-3 liquid force board. Do I need a bigger wake, bigger board, or do I just not have correct speed or feet place meant? I have tried the speed from 9.9 to 11 mph. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

moombadaze
06-05-2011, 12:21 AM
if your new to surfing finding the sweet spot with stock ballast is hard to do.

If you have the 3 bag system.

Advise is to upgrade to a 750lb flyhigh bag as its a basic plug and play replacement for the side your surfing on. Fill the front ski locker bag full, trim tab if you have it-set to bow up position, run about 10-11mph with a gps verified speedo--(can make a big difference). All boat riders sit on the side of the surfer.

Feet placement and weight distribution are important, feet about shouder width apart. Forward foot weight is your gas to speed up, rear foot weight is your brake to slow down.

The genII LSV sweet spot should be about 5 feet right behind the corner of the boat.

Hope this helps.

btw, welcome to Moomba and make sure to post a pic of the boat

rsinger
06-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I have a 2010 lsv with the standard ballast system. My 12 year old son can surf without the rope easily. I am a different story. I cannot find the sweet spot. I am 190 lbs and use the 5-3 liquid force board. Do I need a bigger wake, bigger board, or do I just not have correct speed or feet place meant? I have tried the speed from 9.9 to 11 mph. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a similar problem. Just started last year and came so close. Had slack in the rope for almost 30 seconds. Once I got up on the board I moved forward a few inches which helped a lot. At that point is was trial and error to find the proper spot in the wake and balancing the board (lean slightly forwards or backwards to control speed on the wake).

Frustrating but practice makes perfect. Ballast wasn't working last year so I figure I'll get er done once I get the boat on the water.

Shooter
06-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I added the 750's to my 07 LSV and it made all the diff in the world.

I'm 160 lbs and run surf side rear bag full, off side about 1/4 full, ski locker full, and tab up. 10.5 mph creates a nice rolling knee-mid thigh high wave. I also run the boat for a "wave check" pass before we surf. Gives us a chance to play with people placement. Sometimes a small shift in weight can make a good/bad change in wave.

rdlangston13
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I also run the boat for a "wave check" pass before we surf. Gives us a chance to play with people placement. Sometimes a small shift in weight can make a good/bad change in wave.

problem with that is once you start surfing you are minus one person that you used to create that nice wake

Shooter
06-05-2011, 08:23 PM
problem with that is once you start surfing you are minus one person that you used to create that nice wake

I'm sure there is a change, but so far I guess it's been minimal. I have the driver that is gonna pull me take the seat and I try to stay midship right beside him till we get fine tuned.

kaneboats
06-06-2011, 09:30 AM
I have a great tip: Remember to put the wake plate up before you let a rookie driver pull you. I had my little brother with me and he did a great job of driving for me but he only comes out once or twice a year. Before I jumped in (we had a rain delay so everybody else had already surfed- we emptied and trailered the boat for an hour wait) to get my turn I set the PP but forgot to put the plate up. A couple guys had bailed on us when the rain started, but I was thinking that losing only 2 guys should not have affected the wake that much. I gave up. When the next guy got in I checked everything-- DANG IT-- it was my fault. I'm the one who forgot to put the wakeplate up. Duh!
Had a fantastic run on my second turn though and we stayed out till dark after everyone had gone home.

mmbrew
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the input. I was able to let go of the rope by adjusting the wake plate and going 10 mph. By the end of the day I was able to surf up and down the wake!!

I think the wake is big without the bigger sacs, so if I am not sure it would be worth upgrading. Any comments on the advantage with the added weight if I can already surf?

kaneboats
06-07-2011, 10:50 AM
We had to drop my buddy and his son off at the dock and there was lightning behind us. I decided to throw it on the trailer and get everybody out just in case. Ended up going for more beer and staying out 2 more hours on perfect water.