PDA

View Full Version : Hse Wow

DOCDRS
06-04-2011, 05:57 PM
If you thought Upgraded or hlcd tower speakers or a ws420 the
HSE revolution volume contoller will blow you away. It automatically raises the volume as the RPM increases. Easy to install once you find a analog rpm tach wire. I'm not sure why you can't get these anymore but I am glad I snagged one.

you da man
06-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I like that the volume reduction is instant. Very well built and compact.

viking
06-05-2011, 11:39 AM
So David -
Do you have any more of these?
I'd like to find me 1

you da man
06-05-2011, 12:47 PM
So David -
Do you have any more of these?
I'd like to find me 1

He's been out for a while viking

Razzman
06-05-2011, 12:53 PM
You will not find any HSE's anywhere unless it's a used one, period. Go with the Boost Box, it works the same way. I remember seeing something about it a couple years ago and if I remember correctly it uses an internal mercury switch to activate the circuit.

Boost Box (http://watersportinnovations.com/the-boost-box)

deafgoose
06-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I cannot find even a used HSE online. I am willing to pay more than retail for a used one and nobody wants to sell them because they are so fantastic.

Boost Box is not the same at all. The reaction time is much slower and I wont be buying one.

you da man
06-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Wow, I'd be interested in seeing what a used but cosmetically new HSE would bring on ebay or best offer. I should have bought 20 of them back around Christmas when they were about $150

deafgoose
06-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Wow, I'd be interested in seeing what a used but cosmetically new HSE would bring on ebay or best offer. I should have bought 20 of them back around Christmas when they were about $150

Post it. I will bid on it. :)

Razzman
06-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I cannot find even a used HSE online. I am willing to pay more than retail for a used one and nobody wants to sell them because they are so fantastic.

Boost Box is not the same at all. The reaction time is much slower and I wont be buying one.

So just out of curiosity why does it matter how fast it turns it down as long as it does? It's not that slow, i've heard it work.

skylar18
06-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Mine lowers volume as soon as my rmp's get below 1800. My favorite device on my boat and the wife loves it at well. Can't believe they don't make it anymore. In my opinion well worth the extra 100 bucks than the boost box and Jim was great with customer support.

dusty2221
06-05-2011, 10:34 PM
I 100% agree on this post. HSE is an amazing tool.

DOCDRS
06-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Here is a short video on my install and finding the tach wire signal

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=docdrs#p/a/u/0/W8XxFb5nEyM

viking
06-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Why is it the stuff that works so well ends up being discontinued?
Did the company go under?

deafgoose
06-06-2011, 01:03 AM

Not sure. Its a great product and somebody else should have started where HSE left off.

The Boost Box has a much bigger delay and when you come off throttle, the stereo seems so much louder without engine and wind noise. Totally unacceptable.

you da man
06-06-2011, 01:37 AM

Its not the that HSE wasn't a wonderful product (lord knows not one person I've seen has anything bad to say about it), however, according to David with Earmark Marine the HSE was not a profitable venture for Trident who made the HSE. David actually stated that Trident was upside down in making the HSE versus what we the consumer were willing to pay for it. I guess for the "cheapo" people who thought $249 was too expensive are kicking themselves now and are probably willing to pay $300 for a used one. Those who said they dont see a point in the HSE...well, you never had the pleasure of using/owning one to know.

Razzman
06-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Geez i can't imagine what i was thinking turning the stereo down manually! :cool: :p

you da man
06-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Geez i can't imagine what i was thinking turning the stereo down manually! :cool: :p

Or controlling the throttle manually...what are we thinking to spend $1,000 on such a device that will control speed. I guess it's just easier...hmmmm. Just like speed control devices, the HSE makes operating full control of the boat, including accessories, easier for secondary drivers which makes it less stressful, more eyes on the water, more enjoyable for the owner/operator who wants to hear music while boarding, and saves relationships (like Perfect Pass has)

mmandley
06-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Or controlling the throttle manually...what are we thinking to spend $1,000 on such a device that will control speed. I guess it's just easier...hmmmm. Just like speed control devices, the HSE makes operating full control of the boat, including accessories, easier for secondary drivers which makes it less stressful, more eyes on the water, more enjoyable for the owner/operator who wants to hear music while boarding, and saves relationships (like Perfect Pass has)

I can agree with you on this stuff. I dont have HSE and i dont have PP lol. I will generaly get the boat to the speed i want and tell her the speed and RPM i want to ride at, then she will pull me up and once she gets the speed then i get tunes LOL. Not always but most of the time LOL.

I can agree i dont know what im missing with PP or HSE and i guess its going to be another season before i do on eighter.

EarmarkMarine
06-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Everything about HSE was great from our perspective. The product worked great. Jim, from HSE, was great to work with. Actaully, we had become their number one dealer.
But sales of the product was pretty slow until the price was significantly reduced. And at that price, HSE was losing money. The financial commitment to build and import these was big because of the required minimum quantity. So HSE elected to discontinue the product. There was simply no financial motivation to keep building these.
We are using the Boost Box which is also a great product. There is a slight delay in its response by comparison but the product still works very well. Owners of the Boost Box are satisfied. The slight delay is the same as you would have with any supplemental keyfob RF or code-learning remote control system.
One of the issues that made the HSE very expensive to build was that it was in the signal path and had to utilize an expensive audio circuit and OP amp. In contrast, the Boost Box is not in the signal path. Instead, its in the remote control path. This means that when you do not have an equalizer that you will not lose the triple preouts of the source unit, when or if this applies. The HSE had a single stereo RCA in and out so without an EQ you would have to add independed level controls to make up for what you lost. Also, The Boost Box works by using a tilt device, among other sensors, but does not require that you access the tach feed wire. The install is even easier for some.

David
Earmark Marine

dusty2221
06-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Mike, keep your eyes peeled for an HSE, and pay whatever they ask. I owe KG a huge thanks, I was dead set against it, he insisted it get added in the winter build.

BTW, I talked with Jim again this morning, I checked in with him to see if he could do a "pre pay before manufacturing" type group buy seeing the number of people that are interested, but he said it just can't be done. He def. appreciates the support and wishes it were possible.

Razzman
06-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Yup, that's how i do that too. Haven't seen the need for pp either. been driving so long it's second nature and doesn't distract me at all. I can see where some benefit however.

kaneboats
06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I got use to driving all the way to FL from IL and back about 5X a year without cruise. We sure never had it on any of the boats either.

But, after pulling wakeboarders who want a consistent speed where you are just barely planed off (or just barely not planed off sometimes for kids), it is no fun to constantly work the throttle to maintain speed. I love PP. I want it to work right but I love it. Now I even use the cruise in the car some of the time.

DOCDRS
06-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Its like a lot of things, you don't miss it until you've had it and then don't have it. Its like non stretch rope, never missed it until I skied behind a buddies boat who had stretch line and it felt like I was on a rubber band.....and the speed was up ,down up down...no perfect pass as well.......I managed but then realized how spoiled I am , so why not go all the way

Hell I'd go with out the tunes before I'd go with out my H S E . .

.jk .

kaneboats
06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
On Sat. we had to throw the boat on the trailer and wait for a while due to a big storm with lightning. I put my camera, MP3 player, etc. in the truck then forgot to grab it when we relaunched. So I had only a few old CD's. I felt completely gypped when I didn't have all the tunes. Funny what you get used to. 2 boats ago I didn't really even have a working radio.

braonm
06-07-2011, 05:17 PM
boost box has an internal 3D accelerometer

boost box has updateable software and they keep trying to improve it, if you have one you think turns down too slow, see if they'll swap it out with the new software for you (has to be done at factory)

there are two models, one with an extruded alumninum case (smaller, looks more rugged) and a metalic plastic silver one (lower profile, wider, easier to mount). there have been some complaints tracked down recently, so they conformal coat the pc boards for the metal case now, the plastic case doesn't have the same problem

braon

deafgoose
06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
boost box has an internal 3D accelerometer

boost box has updateable software and they keep trying to improve it, if you have one you think turns down too slow, see if they'll swap it out with the new software for you (has to be done at factory)

there are two models, one with an extruded alumninum case (smaller, looks more rugged) and a metalic plastic silver one (lower profile, wider, easier to mount). there have been some complaints tracked down recently, so they conformal coat the pc boards for the metal case now, the plastic case doesn't have the same problem

braon

Gotta love a company that tests their product on their customers. lol

What ever happened to research and development.

New Guy
06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
^cost it has become too expensive to test something before releasing it to the public.

you da man
06-08-2011, 11:20 AM
^cost it has become too expensive to test something before releasing it to the public.

I guess HSE went the extra mile then with R&D

EarmarkMarine
06-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I really didn't interpret the Boost Box re-programming comment as a negative. I think its awesome that they built a product with an open architecture so that software can be advanced without making older products obsolete. Think about it.
In any case, we miss the HSE but since its gone we have positively moved on to the Boost Box.
However, we have built a small memorial in our showroom honoring the HSE, may it rest in peace.

David
Earmark Marine

kalenderli
06-09-2011, 01:10 AM
studies are very successful. has done a good job.

deafgoose
06-09-2011, 01:58 AM
I really didn't interpret the Boost Box re-programming comment as a negative. I think its awesome that they built a product with an open architecture so that software can be advanced without making older products obsolete. Think about it.
In any case, we miss the HSE but since its gone we have positively moved on to the Boost Box.
However, we have built a small memorial in our showroom honoring the HSE, may it rest in peace.

David
Earmark Marine

It would be nice to see a youtube video of the Boost Box in action with the latest firmware update.

cab13367
06-09-2011, 02:17 AM

Totally not a valid comparison comparing PP to an HSE type device. The PP automates something that would otherwise require constant attention and even then, difficult to accomplish. As far as the HSE, I have a remote at the helm. As soon as my rider falls, I push the mute button then go pick him/her. Mute doesn't really mute, just turns it down about 90% so you can still hear the music. When ready to launch again, I hit the throttle then un-mute it right after PP takes over. It's now a matter of habit and I do it without even realizing it. So for me, paying $250 so I don't have to push mute/unmute is a waste of money.

you da man
06-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Totally not a valid comparison comparing PP to an HSE type device. The PP automates something that would otherwise require constant attention and even then, difficult to accomplish. As far as the HSE, I have a remote at the helm. As soon as my rider falls, I push the mute button then go pick him/her. Mute doesn't really mute, just turns it down about 90% so you can still hear the music. When ready to launch again, I hit the throttle then un-mute it right after PP takes over. It's now a matter of habit and I do it without even realizing it. So for me, paying $250 so I don't have to push mute/unmute is a waste of money.

That's just your opinion. All I basically said is the HSE makes driving easier and safer for secondary drivers.

cab13367
06-10-2011, 04:24 PM
That's just your opinion. All I basically said is the HSE makes driving easier and safer for secondary drivers.

It's all good. I'm not arguing with you that it makes it easier for secondary drivers. Just sayin' it's not as big a help as PP but I guess it doesn't cost as much either. As David points out, not many people were willing to pay $250 for it (while lots of people ante up the $1000+ for PP) which kind of validates my point, and ultimate led to it's demise. But if you're willing to pay the $250, I'm sure it's a great device.