PDA

View Full Version : ballast pump woes...

usaski1
06-04-2011, 05:27 PM
So took the Outback to a public lake yesterday and had ballast issues. Pump would turn on, but would not pump into the ballast bag. removed fitting from ballast bag, no water at all going through hose. removed water strainer, and water was flowing with pump off. With pump on, water flowed faster. Put back on, and tight, but no water to bag. Must have a kink, or? Any ideas to check? Also, any way to check a ballast system on the trailer?

rdlangston13
06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
check your sprinkler valves and make sure they are actuating. i have heard stories about them getting stuck.

cab13367
06-04-2011, 05:56 PM
So took the Outback to a public lake yesterday and had ballast issues. Pump would turn on, but would not pump into the ballast bag. removed fitting from ballast bag, no water at all going through hose. removed water strainer, and water was flowing with pump off. With pump on, water flowed faster. Put back on, and tight, but no water to bag. Must have a kink, or? Any ideas to check? Also, any way to check a ballast system on the trailer?

Did you get the boat up on plane then turn the ballast switch om? The pump needs to be primed the first time you put the boat in the water and getting it up on plane forces water to the pump. Otherwise, it is trying to pump air.

usaski1
06-04-2011, 07:53 PM
yeah. put the boat on plane. My ballast intake is just a hole, no scoop.
How do I check my sprinkler valves, and what use is the valve anyway? is it just a check valve? the pump pumps the water, why do I even need the valve? Can i just replace with a 1 way check valve?

cab13367
06-04-2011, 08:20 PM
You have the Gravity 1, right? Not sure why your intake doesn't have a scoop since that's how the pump is primed. The reason for the sprinkler valve (at least on an intake with a scoop) is to prevent the bag from filling when on plane. Without the valve, water would be pushed thru the pump and into the bag even if the pump is off. It also prevents water from draining out when you don't want it to.

usaski1
06-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah, Gravity 1. I did have to go out and look, I do have a scoop! I wonder why my system isnt working? Okay, so I need the sprinkler valve... wonder what else I can check...

jmvotto
06-05-2011, 07:08 AM
did you winterize and pull the water stainer off and put it on backwards? it only flows one way or is it clogged with stuff.

usaski1
06-05-2011, 09:18 AM
no winterization was done, and it was working a month ago. I pulled it out of the lake (damn drought, water getting low) and it sat on my trailer for a month. I'll have to see, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting water to the straner, and it flows faster when I turn the pump on, meaning things are good at least up to the strainer.

cab13367
06-05-2011, 11:11 AM
If you have a fake a lake, you should be able to test it on the trailer. Just attach it to the ballast intake. I would start by removing the hose quick connect from the valve, turning the ballast pump on, and see if water flows thru the solenoid. If not, unscrew the valve from the manifold and see if water flows. So do this until you isolate where your problem is - the valve, strainer, pump, or hose.

its2ez4me2hr
06-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Had the same issue with my 2010 LSV this weekend! Ended up running it 2 or 3 times on plane then it finally caught prime and started. The last time I went slowly to plane thinking it might push more water into the scoop with the nose up a bit longer and it worked! Had no idea you have to prime pumps till I saw it on the board (first wakeboard boat)!

kaneboats
06-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I couldn't get my ballast to fill after a heavy rain and everything got soaked. Figured out the pumps weren't coming on. There's a fuse/reset switch right on the switch panel. I never even noticed it before.

usaski1
06-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Good to know Kane. The pumps ar ecomming on, and the pump is primed, as when it sits in the lake with the striner off, waster was going through it. Turned the pump on with strainer off, more water shot into the bilge. so this leads me to believe sprinkler valve issue. Right now Im thinking vented loop and check valve, remove sprinkler valve. Your thoughts on removing the sprinkler valve?

deafgoose
06-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Good to know Kane. The pumps ar ecomming on, and the pump is primed, as when it sits in the lake with the striner off, waster was going through it. Turned the pump on with strainer off, more water shot into the bilge. so this leads me to believe sprinkler valve issue. Right now Im thinking vented loop and check valve, remove sprinkler valve. Your thoughts on removing the sprinkler valve?

Take the sprinkler valve apart and have a look inside. You may be surprised with what you see. :)

The orbit valves are crap. That's why I upgraded to the Irritrol 700's last year. I haven't had a problem since. :)

kaneboats
06-08-2011, 10:03 AM

One other thing that threw me. All the indicator lights came on when I turned the pumps on. So I was not looking for a fuse/reset. But, the pumps were not coming on.

Agree that these valves are crap but if kept clean they work fine. I did put an Irritrol 700 series one on my surf bag though just because it does not restrict the flow at all. It seems to work great.

oddos2525
06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Can someone give me a break down on the gravity III ballast system. Is it one main pump with three silonoid valves/ sprinkler valves or one main pump and a pump per bag. My issue is I have one bag that will not drain on its own and it only fills when one of the other bags are pumping. I am just trying to figure out what needs to be replaced. When I filled/drain the other two bags I hear the pump kick on. When I hit the switch on the other I hear nothing, the light does come on when I hit the switch.

07 outback v

John

kaneboats
06-08-2011, 11:13 AM
The "old" version of the GIII in my boat and, I think, in yours has 4 pumps. There is a Rule 2000 (really only 1200 gph) just above the intake that does all the filling for all three bags. It is connected to an inlet on a manifold. The manifold has 3 sprinkler valves -- one for each line. When you flip a switch to fill the pump comes on and the corresponding valve is supposed to open. To empty, each bag has its own Rule 700 pump and its own thru-hull outlet.

kaneboats
06-08-2011, 11:18 AM
My issue is I have one bag that will not drain on its own and it only fills when one of the other bags are pumping. I am just trying to figure out what needs to be replaced. When I filled/drain the other two bags I hear the pump kick on. When I hit the switch on the other I hear nothing, the light does come on when I hit the switch.

This is very likely two separate issues. If one bag will not empty you have to determine if the empty pump specific to that bag is coming on and, if so, if there is no sort of obstruction and the pump is getting primed. If you hear nothing you could have a blown fuse, loose connection, bad pump, etc.

The fact it will not fill unless the other two are filling may just mean the fill pump is not priming. I know I sometimes have to get the center filling in order to prime the pump (I think it's because the center bag sits lower it's easier to get the flow started). Once the center starts filling I can fill either of the other two bags. Obviously, the fill pump is not the problem if it will fill the other two bags. I would suspect the sprinkler valve-- probably take it apart and clean it anyway-- except you can fill if you fill the other two. This makes me think it's just a priming issue. Usually you can speed the boat up to around 20 mph and force water through the system and get a prime going. But, maybe try getting in the habit of starting with just the center one-- it's right by your feet so you can pop the door and listen to make sure it's running. Once that one is running you easily should be able to run the other two.

oddos2525
06-08-2011, 12:46 PM
That's exactly my system, with the pump by the intake and the sprinkler valve manifold. Do you remember where the empty pumps are on the rear two bags, I have never noticed them.

kaneboats
06-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Follow the drain line from the bottom of the bag. They are very close, mounted just inside the engine compartment.

BTW: You can get a decent replacement pump at Walmart for about $30.