PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Back Flame arrester?

jester
06-04-2011, 09:54 AM
The Back Flame arrester should be keep clean since it is what keeps your engine from starting a fire when it back fires. I have heard that to clean it you can just put it in the dishwasher. Has anyone tryed this before? Does anyone have another way they clean it?

brain_rinse
06-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Brake/parts cleaner

rdlangston13
06-04-2011, 12:54 PM
where is this flame arrestor at? i am guessing in the intake or throttle body since it prevents a fire during a back fire but i have no idea what to look for. cars dont have these

cab13367
06-04-2011, 01:27 PM
where is this flame arrestor at? i am guessing in the intake or throttle body since it prevents a fire during a back fire but i have no idea what to look for. cars dont have these

Correct, it's sits on top of the throttle body. Think of a round air cleaner on an old school carbureted engine. On a boat, they call it a flame arrestor.

Razzman
06-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Just take it off and spray it with carb cleaner or if you want to be green use simple green / orange stuff and a brush.

rdlangston13
06-04-2011, 01:37 PM
wait, so the actual air cleaned is the flame arrestor? can i take it off and just put a k&n on there?

Engine Nut
06-04-2011, 02:02 PM
wait, so the actual air cleaned is the flame arrestor? can i take it off and just put a k&n on there?

What model engine do you have? Most Indmar engines already have K&N Flame Arrestors. If yours looks like this it is a K&N. You need to make sure that if you install any flame arrestor that is different than the one that came on the engine, that it is a Coast Guard approved flame arrestor and not just an air cleaner. An approved flame arrestor will have an SAE number on it... I believe it is 1939 but can't remember for sure... getting old I guess.

rdlangston13
06-04-2011, 02:14 PM
My engine is the indmar assault 325 mpi. The air cleaner or flame arrestor is about 6 to 7 inches in diameter and sits directly on top of the throttle body over the intake. looks like just an air cleaner on a carbureted motor. white filter inside. looks very very small for a 325 horse motor.

Engine Nut
06-04-2011, 03:40 PM
My engine is the indmar assault 325 mpi. The air cleaner or flame arrestor is about 6 to 7 inches in diameter and sits directly on top of the throttle body over the intake. looks like just an air cleaner on a carbureted motor. white filter inside. looks very very small for a 325 horse motor.

Doesit look like this one? That flame arrestor has more air fow capacity than your engine really needs. You can clean it with carb cleaner or even soap and waer and a brush. Just make sure it is dry before you put it back on.

rdlangston13
06-04-2011, 05:27 PM
That looks like the one! How do you tell if it is dirty? Is it like an air filter when it looks dirty it is dirty?

Engine Nut
06-04-2011, 07:35 PM
That looks like the one! How do you tell if it is dirty? Is it like an air filter when it looks dirty it is dirty?

They don't really get dirty ... not too much dust/dirt on the water. A cleaning once a year is recommended.

jester
06-05-2011, 12:09 AM

You just take your finger too it. If your finger comes back black it needs to be cleanned like now.