PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded from ZX200.4 to ZXM700.5

deafgoose
06-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I had no idea swapping out the original 2006 ZX200.4 with a 2010 ZXM700.5 was going to make such a significant difference in output. WOW!

I originally purchased the amp to add a Kicker KM10 sub but I had no idea the component speakers in the cabin would sound so much better.

Next up is a ZXM450.2 with a pair of tower speakers (Exile or Wetsounds). :D

cachais
06-04-2011, 06:59 AM
What cabin speakers do you have? I have the kicker cabin speakers and have been thinking of upgrading to polks, but maybe I should start with just upgrading my 200.4 amp like you did.

deafgoose
06-04-2011, 08:12 AM
What cabin speakers do you have? I have the kicker cabin speakers and have been thinking of upgrading to polks, but maybe I should start with just upgrading my 200.4 amp like you did.

I have the OEM Kicker speakers for 2008. Not sure what model#.

I was looking into upgrading my cabin speakers to Exile but since the amp upgrade that would be foolish.

I highly recommend giving them more power. They can take it.

mmandley
06-04-2011, 08:52 AM
More power, more power LOL. I had the same realization when i switched to the 700.5 overt he 200.4.

I remember when Newty was pissing and moaning about his older tower set up blowing wood chips. He was fussing and brutting. Then he over powered it with a 1000K amp i think it was. Was more power then those speakers needed, and all the sudden those speaker sounded awesome again LOL.

The key thing people try to explain is its ok to Over Power a speaker, its worse to Underpower them.

Good solid clean power will not hurt a speaker as much as reccomended dirty power will.

I say buy the biggest amps you can afford, then crank that bish up and when the speaker pops, go buy a bigger and better one lol.

Proof in the pudding, i was running some cheap no name speakers in the truck and they only called for 50 watts, i put an Exile 400.1 on them and cranked them up and ran it like that for months and never had an issue, now i got Polks in there and im thinking i might need more amp now haha

philwsailz
06-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I have the OEM Kicker speakers for 2008. Not sure what model#.

I was looking into upgrading my cabin speakers to Exile but since the amp upgrade that would be foolish.

I highly recommend giving them more power. They can take it.

Thanks for the report 'goose.

Guys, we all know it used to be that when you bought a boat, you assumed you got junk speakers. 20 years ago that was kind of true. With some boats it still is. For boat builders like Moomba it simply is not the case anymore; too many good brands out there. I laugh every time I hear someone wanting to "upgrade" from OEM.

Deafgoose's report right here is a good example of what can be done to work with the existing system. If you are considering any upgrade, first take an assesment of what you currently have. Replace the weakest link first. Do some quick homework. In 'goose's situation he basically doubled the available power to the existing speakers and added a subwoofer; this with one amp swap.

The guys at Moomba put together a heck of a boat, but sometimes to hit a dealer's sales goal or price point the dealer orders the boat with the smaller amp is put in. Nothing wrong with that, but yes, the stock speakers will handle more power. If 'goose had popped for speakers but kept the smaller amp, he would be almost right back where he was, only with a different sounding boat, due to different speakers.

Power usually wins out over all other factors, so look there first. And if you have questions, especially about how to improve on stock, holler, I will be glad to help. I even can share some dilithium crystals..... oh nevermind, the Star Trek inference is probably lost. :D

Have a safe weekend all!

Phil
Kicker