PDA

View Full Version : Drying your carget and storage bins

Gottop69
06-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Ok here comes another dumb question.. I was out this weekend really windy in Dallas.. I got the inside soaked.. I keep the boat in a 5000 sqf office.. What is the best way to dry it out and keep the carpet dry.. I don't want to replace carpet every year..

kaneboats
06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't know why you keep it in an office, but that's your deal. Mine sits in a 100 degree garage and I use a box fan for 3 days, constantly moving it around. You have to pull all the cushions loose so air can circulate behind them and leave the locker doors open. I find that just moving that heated air around dries it out in no time. My next garage will have 2-3 big fans on the ceiling so I can control at the wall.

rdlangston13
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't have the luxury of worrying about that. After my fun on the water is over the moomba cover goes on, tower goes down, and she gets stuffed away in a storage unit till i take her out again... She doesn't stink that bad, yet.

newty
06-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Agreed, get all the seat cushions out of the way and leave all the locker doors open. A box fan will help for sure. Its when you leave everything closed up and wet for days is when you start having mold and funky smells.

Water doesn't hurt your carpet... its feet and the stuff that comes from feet. Lotion, dirt, cheetos... you get the idea.

I get water sitting under my ballast bags for a few days and the carpet gets pretty nasty. I'll scrub it out with a brush and water and the carpet looks good as new.

Gottop69
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I meant shop not office sorry.. I also need to figure how to edit i don't know what carget is.. LOl.. i am doing the box fan thing just making sure its the right thing to do

cab13367
06-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I pull all the wet gear out of the boat after each use, including all the ballast bags. I then put a box fan in each rear compartment and run them until it dries out. I also remove and wipe down all the cushions and put them back such that air is getting into the storage compartments underneath. Typically, only the rear compartments are wet when I get home - the carpet in the cabin is usualy dry from the 45 minute tow home (remember, my boat has the low cut carpet).

mmandley
06-01-2011, 03:36 PM
I meant shop not office sorry.. I also need to figure how to edit i don't know what carget is.. LOl.. i am doing the box fan thing just making sure its the right thing to do

For 15 minutes after you post there is an Edit button on the bottom right of your post to change things.

matt75
06-01-2011, 05:17 PM
6hp wet/dry vac the carpet, pop the cushions up/storage bins open, box fan.
Couple times a year I'll hose down the carpet, scrub it with carpet cleaner, then spray some downy mixed with water. Let it sit for about 10 min and then wet/dry vac it up.
My carpet wasn't in the best of shape from former owner and looks pretty good now.

dusty2221
06-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I shop vac the floor out after each trip and prop all the cushions up until its dry.

rdlangston13
06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
must be nice to have a place at the house where you can store your boat and dry your carpet out after every use...

jpetty3023
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I agree RD, my storage is 3 mins from lake so I pull the seats, lift rear doors, and take out ropes, boards, (shush-tubes!!!, I have 3 kiddos plus their friends). I usually have a lizard or 2 running around the unit looking for water or something. I wet vacuum and clean her up Sunday evening before going back to prison for a few days

rdlangston13
06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
My storage is 2 hours from the house, 3 min from the lake. I don't have time to sit around after a day of boat to let the carpet dry. I open it all up while i wipe the interior and exterior down and organize my gear and clean out the trash. water ever water is still there after that is getting sealed in there lol

kaneboats
06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Can you leave a fan running there? You could think about a timer type switch so it shuts off after about 3 days. Shoot, nowadays you could probably shut it off with your phone.

mmandley
06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Kitty litter kitty litter.

Get a couple smaller kitty litter boxes, fill them and set them in the boat when you store it. It will help soak up the moisture and leave it smelling dry.

You can pull them out and leave them in your storage while on the lake.

rdlangston13
06-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Ok so I have an idea with your kitty litter theory mike. what if instead of a box you put it a very low thread count pillow case. that way it would be able to absorb water on all sides. do you think the pillow case would act as barrier to the water or would the gaps in the low thread count be big enough for water to travel thru to the litter inside? this would also allow absorbtion on the surface of the carpet instead of all the water having to aborsbed directly from the air coming from the top of the box

Gottop69
06-02-2011, 09:57 AM
I have seen on overtons.. de humidifiers... anyone try that

rc5695
06-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I just let mine sit outside with the cover off for a day with the seat cushions off. Dry as a bone when I get home from work, then put in a couple buckets of cat litter and button her up until the next ride. Hopefully I'll have a better cover soon and not have to worry about the cat litter except for winter storage.

Jet
06-02-2011, 02:10 PM
GET ONE OF THESES!! It sucks my boat dry in a half a day and drops the garage temp by 50 degrees! Funny story here..on sundays I would park the boat in the garage and on monday it was 102 degrees outside. So I would tell my wife to keep the garge door open 2"-3" so more air could get in there. SHE WOULD ALWAYS FORGET. So I cut vent holes in the garage doors..put 2-more in the garge celing and then added a solar attic fan above the garage. My boat stays coool and dry. Jet Heres my old link below..NO LAUGHING!!

coolmyatticnow garage option:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=92327945202&v=app_2392950137&ref=ts#!/video/video.php?v=1356116033731&oid=92327945202

Jet
06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Oops. This is not SPAM, Its my own personal story. Jet

kaneboats
06-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Did you have to block the other vents in the soffits in order to get the fan to pull air through the garage door?

Jet
06-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Yep they were closed so all air goes through the garage. Its also great for any gas fumes, paint or chemical fumes that may start a fire. Also if my wife is cooking (lol) I will pull the stairs down inside my house and suck out all of the smoke while the fire alarms are going off. LMAO! SMOKIN HOT in a bikini and her wakeboard though! lol

Shooter
06-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I remove all my boards/bags/jackets, pull all the seats away so that air can flow thru, put a dehumidifier in it and snap on the covers. Dry as a bone in a day. I have to leave it in the driveway for this. I store it in my shed on the back of my property.....no electric out there yet.

mmandley
06-03-2011, 09:08 AM
@ RD i dont know if the kitty litter will work in a pillow case, the point of the kitty litter is its job is to absorb moisture. Putting it in moisture rich environment will allow it to absorb the moisture.

This way since you dont have electricity, or the ability to install your own vents you have a way to dry the boat out. At a couple bucks for a bag its worth a shot.

You can also get at Overtons some small buckets of a chemical thats made tot do the same thing, it absorbs water in the air. Its a little more spendy then litter lol.

rdlangston13
06-03-2011, 09:35 AM
@ RD i dont know if the kitty litter will work in a pillow case, the point of the kitty litter is its job is to absorb moisture. Putting it in moisture rich environment will allow it to absorb the moisture.

This way since you dont have electricity, or the ability to install your own vents you have a way to dry the boat out. At a couple bucks for a bag its worth a shot.

You can also get at Overtons some small buckets of a chemical thats made tot do the same thing, it absorbs water in the air. Its a little more spendy then litter lol.

Yeah I just figured a very low thread count pillow case will still allow air to flow through it and the surface area exposed to moisture would be greatly increased. I think it would need to be the lowest thread count possible though.