PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Bracket Fix

DOCDRS
01-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I am trying to decided what is the best way to prevent platform movement in the bracket. I see that they have basically drilled holes near the top and inserted retaining screws on the new brackets. What have others done and do you have pics?
Thanks

brain_rinse
01-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Since I only remove my platform once a year when I put it away for winter I tap composite shims between the 2 pieces of the bracket. Rock solid, but difficult to remove.

Razzman
01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't even notice or worry about it, every tournament boat i've had the platform moves.

sandm
01-01-2011, 07:22 PM
it's sad that when I go to the boat dealership, the 'bu's don't seem to exhibit the same movement that all the skiers products do.

I have done the shim thing as well since I don't have to remove the platform in the current garage setup. I'll post in the am. simple, cheap, but a pita to remove..

Razzman
01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
So i gotta ask, why is this an issue? What's the big deal if the platform moves?

dusty2221
01-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Aside from the annoyance of it rattling, or moving every single time someone steps on it?

Razzman
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I guess for old boat owners it's no big deal as like i said that's how they all were and many still are. I never hear mine rattle and it very rarely moves when someone gets on it.

DOCDRS
01-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I guess for old boat owners it's no big deal as like i said that's how they all were and many still are. I never hear mine rattle and it very rarely moves when someone gets on it.

Actually my 09 is 10x worse than my 99. This does not seem to be a blanket issue across the board for any particular year or model.

sandm
01-02-2011, 04:02 PM
the constant movement of the platform will ream out the bottom hole in the bracket, eventually splitting it out. happened on mine, and in talking to the dealer, they have sold replacement brackets to others with the same issue.
it's not a bad design, just poorly executed. look at 'bu or m/c to see it done right. theirs fit tight with almost no play and look to last forever.

csm
01-02-2011, 04:56 PM
I use the hard plastic toilet shims as well. Works great. I just feel like the more movement there is, the bigger chance of damage to the bracket.

squeeg333
01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I've got this same rattling issue. It can get pretty rediculous when waves are coming toward the back of the boat also (when we're sitting still). I've heard some people have the holes welded up, and re-drilled. Some people drill the existing holes larger and use different sized pins. As well as the suggested shim stock. I haven't decided what to go with yet to fix the issue, but hopefully will try something this summer.

sandm
01-03-2011, 06:23 PM
speaking from experience, the drilling of the holes with larger pin is not going to help. if you study the platform, it's slop at the top that's allowing it to move back/forward. I drilled out and it didn't help at all.

ok, here's what I did. remove the swim platform at the brackets. undo all 12 or so screws from the brackets and pull them off. get some kind of gauge of how loose your bracket is. I took a metal slide, wedged it in, and found out that it was the perfect thickness to secure the shims in place. went to the local Metal Supermarket and bought some stainless, think it was .94gauge or something like that. had them cut me pieces around 4" long and 1.5 inches high or so. if you catch a shop on a slow day and shoot the breeze with them, cutting will be free :) total costs for me were around $5. take the pieces home. bend 1/2" of one side back at about a 45deg angle. wedge the piece in, then use a hammer and a blunt object(used a socket extension) to bend the other side back so that it does not slide out. do other side, reinstall platform and good to go. I did this last spring and had good results, but have not had to take platform off since then. it will be a challenge to remove, but it fits just fine in my garage with it attached..
this is not the ideal fix, but seems to work for the time being until, as the brackets attached to the boat wear out, someone posts or designs a permanent solution..
(sorry about blurry pics. horrid light in the garage and not about to disturb the sleeping beast :) )

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/sandm01/SDC11094.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/sandm01/SDC11092.jpg

mmandley
01-03-2011, 07:50 PM
INtresting Sandm, i am having AWS repair my swim deck because its complete cracks along the seems where the gel coat meats the bottom and it allows water inside my deck. From the pics it loosk like your swim deck has the same cracks and such.

sandm
01-03-2011, 08:08 PM
it does, but does not affect the performance of it that I know of. I have thought about glassin the bottom to get it smoother and see if the elimination of the lip affects the surfwake, but it's too dam cold to work in the garage right now. maybe spring.

Fman
01-04-2011, 02:05 AM
I am trying to decided what is the best way to prevent platform movement in the bracket. I see that they have basically drilled holes near the top and inserted retaining screws on the new brackets. What have others done and do you have pics?
Thanks

Doc,

As a few others have done, I also used the plastic toilet wedges and they work great. Pound them in and snap them off, you are good to go. I never remove my platform and it has been rock solid for the past couple seasons. If you remove your platform often it might be a little bit more of a problem.

mmandley
01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
it does, but does not affect the performance of it that I know of. I have thought about glassin the bottom to get it smoother and see if the elimination of the lip affects the surfwake, but it's too dam cold to work in the garage right now. maybe spring.

Yea i have seen some people glass it in and they said it doesnt effect the performance, if i was to glass it in id add lights to it first.

AWS said its under warranty so im going to have them fix it. The other problem with min is the cracks are making a L and running from the front to the back and you can put your hand in it and feel all the foam inside the deck.

thesack
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
To anyone how as cracks around the swim platform brackets GET IT FIXED or you may loose your swim platform.

There is a known issue with SC that the swim platform brackets are not properly secured to the hull (this was supposably fixed in 09 or 10). The brackets are suppose to create a "sandwich" when connected to the hull. Meaning swim platform bracket, fiberglass, aluminum backing plate. The problem is that the swim platform bracket is not always connected to the aluminum backing plate.

When my cracks were first noticed they looked like gelcoat cracks. AWS talked to SC about the cracks and what they were supposably told and I was told by them is that SC would cover the repair under the lifetime hull warranty if the cracks are actually in the fiberglass and not just gelcoat related. But the only way for AWS to know if the cracks were in the fiberglass was to start the repair work. Problem there was if it was just gelcoat repair I was stuck with the bill (I didn't want to fix gelcoat in an area that no one usually sees). So we elected to watch the cracks and see if they changed at all and go from there. Mine changed via a Tige 50/50 my boat, which is how we learned that between the 2 brackets I had 1 out of the 8 screws hitting the aluminum backing plate. AWS was amazed my swim platform had stayed attached to the boat for as long as it did let alone after the accident.

I remember having the same rock in the my swim platform that you guys describe prior to the accident, but I do not remember it being there after the accident (disclaimer I have only been out once after the accident and that was a couple months ago). I am wondering if the rock in the swim platform is being caused by it not being connected properly to the hull, or if it is the brackets not being leveled correctly.

Mike - Your boat is in good hands at AWS, Cary does great work. (Granted his clean up afterwards is not always the best, but the new service manager might have changed that). Since they are typically slow this time of year they should get you turned around fairly quickly. But I would get your boat in there soon just in case, because you never know how long it is going to take to get the gelcoat and any other parts from SC after they order it.

sandm
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
nate..

will watch out for cracks, as that would be a very bad issue to have your platform and brackets fall off in the lake, as I can imagine that with that would come lots of water pouring into the hull :( I know that area very well, replacing several exhaust flappers over the last year(another questionable design using 3.5" outlets and only having 3" and 4" flappers) and working on the swim platform, and have not noticed any on my boat as of late..

I will say, however, that the rattle that I know I have is due to the block attached to the transom of the boat and the "L" shaped bracket that slides down into that block that the platform is screwed to. the block has some grooves that are wider from front to back than the bracket going down into it. by using the shims described, it wedges the bracket into the block on the transom, eliminating the platform movement.
how the block is attached and whether or not the brackets are level do not have any bearing on the issue that I know I have(and would suspect others have as well). it is simply a very cheaply made mounting system, and by cheap, the design is there, just not executed very well.

snowboardcorey
01-05-2011, 01:44 PM
If the wedges don't do the job I'd recommend swapping the brackets over to the OJ Folding ones, they are a much sturdier construction (not cast) and allow you to simply fold the platform instead of lift it off and store it somewhere else. FWIW they are available for Moomba and Supra.

http://www.ojprops.com/products/folddown_platform_bracket

sandm
01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
those are the brackets that should have come on the boats from the start. I think the issue with retrofitting them, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, to access the bolts on the existing brackets, you have to cut out the floor where the ballast bags go?

I don't remember seeing any other way to access them.

snowboardcorey
01-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Not sure about the access in Moombas, I know in some brands the plate is drilled and taped so installation is pretty easy (aside from removing any 5200 if it was used) as you just need to use different hardware to accommodate for the new brackets being a bit different thickness.

kaneboats
01-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Can you fold the platform with those brackets if you have a wakeplate?

Razzman
01-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Nope i already looked into these many months ago just to be able to get around the boat! Wakeplate is in the way and will only allow limited fold down, even then the weight of the platform is on the plate. No go for me.

mmandley
01-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Speaking of all this platform brackets, Claudia has pretty much said in no uncertain terms the first upgrade this year has to be a FAE because she and another close friend were getting headachs when surfing. I know this system bolts to the platform brackets.

Anyone have this seen it help or hurt the platform and brackets?

I know with this set up i cant just pop the swim deck off anymore so i figure once the boat comes out of winter sleep it will stay bolted up till fall.

kaneboats
01-06-2011, 10:48 AM
she and another close friend were getting headachs when surfing.

Maybe try a slightly more expensive wine cooler.

sandm
01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
mmandley, this would be my recommendation. much cheaper than an fae, and they come in fashionable colors to match their swimsuits :)

http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/images/evo5000-mask.jpg

kaneboats
01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
You get the coolest tan lines from that thing too.

Razzman
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Speaking of all this platform brackets, Claudia has pretty much said in no uncertain terms the first upgrade this year has to be a FAE because she and another close friend were getting headachs when surfing. I know this system bolts to the platform brackets.

Anyone have this seen it help or hurt the platform and brackets?

I know with this set up i cant just pop the swim deck off anymore so i figure once the boat comes out of winter sleep it will stay bolted up till fall.

Actually you can pop off the platform. They offer some sort of quick release brackets/mounts from i saw last year on WW. I've never seen issues with the brackets or platform using these.

mmandley
01-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Kane wish she drank it would make dealng with a lot of other issues easier lol
Sandm yea I see plenty of peeps on the water who should use your idea to save us others from Kanes idea above lol

Razz thanks I'll look into that

viking
01-08-2011, 10:52 PM
If the wedges don't do the job I'd recommend swapping the brackets over to the OJ Folding ones, they are a much sturdier construction (not cast) and allow you to simply fold the platform instead of lift it off and store it somewhere else. FWIW they are available for Moomba and Supra.

http://www.ojprops.com/products/folddown_platform_bracket

This topic has come up in the past. But I have yet to hear from anyone that has the OJ folding brackets? I'd be interested in a member review who has some experience with them??? Anyone?

dusty2221
01-09-2011, 10:18 PM
This topic has come up in the past. But I have yet to hear from anyone that has the OJ folding brackets? I'd be interested in a member review who has some experience with them??? Anyone?

I'd be willing to be the tester for OJ if they are intrested.
Ha.

viking
01-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I'd be willing to be the tester for OJ if they are intrested.
Ha.

WELL YA! Me too :roll:

dusty2221
01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Bet that we see one on Ed's boat soon? Lol. he evididently has a "knack" for being a product tester.

Hutch5
01-16-2011, 11:13 PM
I am going to look at one of the ideas for a shim to cut down on movement...I ran into a different issue that was ultimately caused by combo of too much platform movement and pin not properly secured.
Last run of this last season...at some point one of the bracket pins came out (didn't notice), then the platform must have come up and out of the transom bracket (still didn't notice), pulled the boat into the lift and lifted it a few feet to cover it (still all seemed normal). Leaned on the platform while pulling on the cover, the platform bracket on the side still in place ripped off the platform and the whole operation and me went into the lake (noticed it then :( )

I repaired the platform and it's awaiting a Seadek pad...pic attached of the repair so far.

I need a replacement pin...not sure I want this same type...and my searches at hardware stores and online haven't yielded anything yet...anyone have suggestions for where I can get a stainless pin that will stay put. (of course this pin will stay in if the metal bar that turns is bent enough to keep it from lining up with the shaft...but of course mine wasn't)

Hutch

sandm
01-17-2011, 09:11 AM
hutch, go to home depot and get some good stainless locking pins. they are only a couple bucks each. I lost several of those stupid pins you have the pics of after a couple weeks. haven't lost one since replacing with these.. they're in the metal slideout trays in the nuts/bolts aisle. lowes sells them as well.

http://feeds2.yourstorewizards.com/3201/images/200x200/pto-locking-pin-070951zbu-p951zbu.jpg

Hutch5
01-17-2011, 09:58 AM
thanks sandm! ....knew there had to be a good solution I was missing...

Hutch

csm
01-17-2011, 11:33 AM
I use a clevis pin with a cotter pin for my bracket. You can find those at home depot in different thicknesses.

schuylski
01-23-2011, 02:33 PM
NICE. The factory pins absolutely piss me off- this will be much better. My fingers appreciate it.

mmandley
01-27-2011, 02:13 AM
INtresting Sandm, i am having AWS repair my swim deck because its complete cracks along the seems where the gel coat meats the bottom and it allows water inside my deck. From the pics it loosk like your swim deck has the same cracks and such.

An update to this is SC completely is hooking me up. They just gave word they are replacing my entire swim platform under warrenty for all the cracks and seperation.

Also on my observers seat the staples holding the vynal on was poking your arm and tearing the material. They are sending me a new one.

This type of service is why i love SC and AWS.

kaneboats
01-27-2011, 03:03 AM
What about the seadek?

mmandley
01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Kane they are adding the new Moomba logo seadeck for the 2011s. I saw it at the show and i like it but i dont think its as soft as the current one we have.

I will wait till we get it and if we like then cool, if not ill order a new Teak Foux sea deck and install that. Just have to wait and see.

The other nice thing is it sounds like SC doesnt want my damaged swim deck so i get that one back and i plan to make a nice hanging wall art peace out of in the garage.

thesack
01-27-2011, 01:35 PM
That's great that SC is taking care of you Mike. Hopefully they get the swim platform built and sent to you quickly, or at least by the date they say it should be to you.

mmandley
01-27-2011, 02:46 PM
That's great that SC is taking care of you Mike. Hopefully they get the swim platform built and sent to you quickly, or at least by the date they say it should be to you.

Well they are getting smarter in the estimates AWS said SC said sometime before April LOL.

But the good thing is i can go pick up my current swim deck and use it still so im not at a loss for boating if the optunity comes up.

Unlike your situation you got stuck at the mercy of SC and repairs.

thesack
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Well they are getting smarter in the estimates AWS said SC said sometime before April LOL.

But the good thing is i can go pick up my current swim deck and use it still so im not at a loss for boating if the optunity comes up.

Unlike your situation you got stuck at the mercy of SC and repairs.

You forgot to ad the insurance company in that mix.

I wouldn't be surprised if SC still told AWS 2-3 weeks, but based on what happened with my boat AWS is telling you 2-3 months. Always much better to give a longer estimate then a short one. Which reminds me I need to check on my cushion. I think it is in, but with the boat shows going on Matt has been a little busy. Plus my boat is still at Exile.

Cary is good at fiberglass repair, so your boat is in good hands there. I am still amazed at the quality of work on my boat.

DOCDRS
05-31-2011, 11:48 PM