PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding or kneeboarding

Gottop69
05-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Ok guys just want to know what is easier to learn kneeboarding or wakeboarding?? I ask cause it can get boring tubing.. and it seems to be a shame to have a wakeboat for just tubing.. So please help me with this..

bergermaister
05-31-2011, 01:48 PM
If you can do a beach start, I'd say kneeboarding is easier to learn, especially for the kiddos. Just make sure if they're using the strap snug over their knees they know how to release it if they're upside down out in the water... That can be a little scary their first time if they don't slip out of it.

However since you've definitely got the boat for it, I'd say try everything! Shame to not put that ride to good use...

jamie_abb
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.cinemovies.fr/photog-81132-2.htmlEverytime I see a kneeboarder I'm reminded of Eddy Murphy's character from Trading Places and that makes me smile. :)

Gottop69
05-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah me and the Warden ( aka Wife ) are gonna talk and buy one or the other friday for this weekend.. I have a surf board too.. Heard thats good for the kids..

Ian Brantford
05-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Wakeboarding has more variation, but having a kneeboard on board is a great way to vary the day and it doesn't require having bindings fitted.

My crew and I used to consider kneeboarding the easiest to learn.

However, simplified techniques that we got from instructional videos "The Book" and "Detention 2012" made it straightforward for most beginners to get up on a wakeboard pretty quickly. It might take 3-10 tries for a complete newbie, while snowboarders get up with 1-2 tries.

Almost every newbie makes the same mistake on a wakeboard: instinctively pushing away with the legs. Pulling away with the back or arms are also common. If someone is having a lot of difficulty, I find that instructions shouted from the boat won't work, so I grab a fender for visibility, hop right in the water with the beginner so I can see him/her from the side, and then tell them specifically what needs correction. "Your legs aren't doing what you think they are doing." :-)

Gottop69
05-31-2011, 01:58 PM
It should be a funny weekend at the lake.. I should video..

jamie_abb
05-31-2011, 02:01 PM
However, simplified techniques that we got from instructional videos "The Book" and "Detention 2012" made it straightforward for most beginners to get up on a wakeboard pretty quickly. It might take 3-10 tries for a complete newbie, while snowboarders get up with 1-2 tries.

g." :-)

Try burning the how to get up section from the "Book" or "Detention" to your ipod and bring it in the boart. I find showing the rider just before trying helps them learn faster Sit on the swim platform with your rider in the water. Use your feet to move the wake board into the right postion and them practice a few times starting the pull with your arms. Most riders want to get the board up too fast. Then shorten the rope by 20 feet and go for it. We've reduced the attempts to get up from about ten down to about three!

rdlangston13
05-31-2011, 04:08 PM
I personally think in a deep water start wakeboarding is much easier. On a knee board you have to pull youself up while in motion and strap in. I got up my first time on a wake board with no problem and it boggles me how some people can't get it, the motion is just very natural to me. It seems like some people try to fight it too much?

I may be biased because I have been snowboarding for like 6 years before I ever put on a wake board. Now jumping on a wake board is a different story, I don't think my feet were ever meant to have air between them and the surface i am riding. I could never get air on my snow board without biting it but i can however get small air on the wake board. getting closer to wake to wake, maybe 2 or 3 more feet.

bergermaister
05-31-2011, 04:20 PM
I agree with RD -

If you're even semi-athletic and have had a go of snow skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, etc. then wakeboarding will come to you more naturally/quickly. I believe it's all in the balance and knowing how to ride an edge.

We used to stand up on the kneeboard and ride - long before wakeboards were around.

lsvboombox
05-31-2011, 04:55 PM
If you have a kneeboard with the lever to hold the rope its pretty easy to get up since you dont have to worry about holding the rope and kneeling up... But I agree with others that wakeboarding is so easy to get up if you have someone feeding you the correct method......

rdlangston13
05-31-2011, 05:00 PM
i think you really need to wakeboard before you surf. i think surfing can be more difficult for beginners since your feet and not strapped to the board. i know when i first saw people surfing i wondered how in the heck they got on the board...

skiyaker
05-31-2011, 05:33 PM
i know when i first saw people surfing i wondered how in the heck they got on the board...

Ha the first time I tried it I wondered the same thing- though part of it was that I was laughing so hard as the water rushed over my legs, torso, face. Turns out my wife was starting way too fast (we were used to skiing). Made me rethink my whole approach to trying new wake sports- watch a guy on youtube then go try it.

Ian Brantford
05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Try burning the how to get up section from the "Book" or "Detention" to your ipod and bring it in the boart.
I find showing the rider just before trying helps them learn faster

I have the iPhone version of The Book and have had them watch the getting-up chapter on the way to the marina.

Sit on the swim platform with your rider in the water. Use your feet to move the wake board into the right postion and them practice a few times starting the pull with your arms.

On the boat, I have them do some practice pulls with us just crouching on the swim platform. Then I give them 3-4 pulls by hand with them in the water.

Most riders want to get the board up too fast.

Yes. That's if they don't already have their legs extended while sitting back in the water, plowing before loosing grip on the handle. A few don't believe that they are doing it, which is why I occasionally jump in the water to directly observe it. Then they believe me and immediately get up.

Then shorten the rope by 20 feet and go for it.

We just last season started using a VERY short rope (maybe 30 feet?). That helps. I saw some other people here posting about using a surfing rope to train wakeboarders and started bringing an old knotted rope that I tossed on the backup pile. Perfecto!

We've reduced the attempts to get up from about ten down to about three!

Most people we can get up in 3-4 attempts. It's just the "no I deny extending my legs immediately" ones that need the extra help. :-)

After going through the sliding exercises in The Book, I finally realised that you can go VERY slow during a start and even ordinary while wakeboarding, as long as the board isn't too small. As long as the new rider doesn't run out of strength, this helps him coordinate his start.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
I would say kneeboarding is the hardest. Only because I cannot do it. I would even classify myself as as a good athlete, but for the life of me, I cannot kneeboard! It's embarrassing when I try as well! I look ridiculous. I may try starting from a beach next time. (If I ever try it again that is)

Wakeboarding is really not that hard. When they say let the boat do the work, listen to them. That big V-8 doesn't need your help pulling you out of the water, trust me. I always tell people to "sit on their stool", and do not start stretching out those legs when your still on your back. Some have different views on this, but it seems much easier to me to think about keeping your arms closer to your hips as opposed to straight out. I have no idea why, but I had trouble getting up when my arms were stretched out, but when I pulled them close, I popped right up.

And like has been suggested already, watch videos. You tube has some really good ones.

brain_rinse
05-31-2011, 08:07 PM
I cannot kneeboard! It's embarrassing when I try as well! I look ridiculous.
Ha ha! The good news is that EVERYONE looks ridiculous when kneeboarding. :)

FamilyMatters
06-01-2011, 12:03 AM
We call Wake-boarders that can't get up on a kneeboard kneetarded in my family! The Kneeboard with the hook is the easiest thing to get up on yet! As long as you've never slalom ski'd you shouldn't have a problem with the wakeboard. Slalom Skiers usually try to do the plow, where they just try to hold on til it comes up! Doesn't work (Personal Experience) that way on a Wakeboard! You'll get it! If not hook up with someone who can and they'll help!

Peace
Darren

yearround
06-01-2011, 01:19 AM
my bit, i think kneeboarding is easier, when using a hook on the board (i have never done so but watched) starting from the beach when beach conditions allow, or you have someone to help hold the tip up.

right off the dock is good too.

i usually strap the board on as tight as possible while on the swim platform, then slide in the water and go. i don't recommend this for most

with small kids (4-6) i have had them ride on my back on the kneeboard, then they get the idea, and ride themselves. i also have them ride the wakeboard with me.

just get all the toys, try them all, then keep on riding. my mom used to say tell us to ski or knee, cuz that took skills, anyone can tube. (this was 30yrs ago before surf, wake, etc)

sailing217
06-01-2011, 08:18 AM
My son was 3 last year when kneeboarding. Deepwater start with the 'Hook'. Pull him at maybe 13mph. He tried surfing but the 'Scamp' was too big for him ha.

Gottop69
06-01-2011, 08:39 AM
OK so its looking like most people say wakeboarding.. I think that may be where we start.. Still a little worried but oh well.. I play way safe on the water..

JesseC
06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
I will have to throw my vote at the kneeboard for the easiest. I took two friends out that cannot swim/skate or snowboard and they both rode the kneeboard for hours!!! I would not even think of putting them on a wakeboard! All it takes is one good face plant for someone that is not sold on the "lake lifestyle" and their entire perception of boating will change. I will agree that the wakeboard to some seems easier, but look at all the other board sports they are probably in as well as being "born on the water". For newbies I keep it to the tube, kneeboard and oversized skis. The wakeboard is just way to unforgiving when it comes to the "catching an edge" maneuver.

Ian Brantford
06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
OK so its looking like most people say wakeboarding.. I think that may be where we start.. Still a little worried but oh well.. I play way safe on the water..

Just go slow... maybe 12-14 MPH for an adult or 10-12 MPH for a youngster. This will minimise the discouragement if there is a face plant.

One thing that is missing from the first-timer instructions: after they give the "ready" instruction to the driver... SHUT THAT MOUTH. Getting half the lake down the windpipe is not fun.

Ian Brantford
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I will have to throw my vote at the kneeboard for the easiest. I took two friends out that cannot swim/skate or snowboard and they both rode the kneeboard for hours!!!

We have done the same. One note of caution: even though the rider is close to the water, a helmet is strongly recommended. During a wipeout, kneeboards have the nasty habit getting behind the rider and then catching up to the rider's head. Whack!

Kneeboards also have a risk of smacking the rider in the face if hitting a small wave during startup or during any wipeout. Anyone who has orthodontics should be wearing their retainer while riding.

rdlangston13
06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Gottop69- How old are your youngsters you are trying to get up???

jamie_abb
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Most people we can get up in 3-4 attempts. It's just the "no I deny extending my legs immediately" ones that need the extra help. :-)

The only thing I would add is a trick we go from Detention where he stays in a ball on the board for a really long time. I get my seven year old to come out of the water a ride for a minute or two in a ball to exagerate how easy it can be

I'm still looking for tips to get people up faster so I can save gas, save turn arounds and save hours on the boat. I can remember when we had an I/O and someone took 17 times to get up.

kaneboats
06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I have now begun to teach newbies how to get up on the surfboard first. It happens pretty slowly and you can kind of see what you are doing and doing wrong. The close proximity to the boat helps for instruction as well as the upward pull. I've found that then switching them to the wakeboard using the same rope allows them to translate the feeling and they usually pop right up and ride. Once they have done it I go to a full line length. We don't kneeboard very much but my two boys do it some. I have had bad knees since my teen years so I can't even ride the thing.