PDA

View Full Version : I don't think this is Vapor Lock, but having tons of trouble

lrock
05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
I have '06 Outback V with 350 hours on it. Problem started last year and 2 different shops were no help. After running the boat for several hours, it starts to drop rpms and surges when under way. If I turn it off, it will crank but will not take gas without stalling. I researched vapor lock. I run the blower and will even lift the engine compartment if it will be off for more than 10 minutes. I am running ethanol free gas and the new Stabil for marine use. I am thinking it is not vapor lock because it will run fine for 10 to 20 minutes and then the problem starts. I am thinking I should be pumping 'cool' fuel by then. Once it sits for an hour or so, it cranks fine and then will start cutting out/surging within 30 minutes. The fuel pumps tests fine and I a new filter put on it. I have a video of the problem that I can email. Any thoughs? Thanks,

Lrock

DOCDRS
05-30-2011, 10:14 PM
what engine?

lrock
05-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Sorry, 325 Indamar.

Lrock

New Guy
05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
I am having the exact same issue mine is a 02 with the 330 MPI Assault. I think that I have either bad fuel or bad filters.

rdlangston13
05-31-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a similar issue except my boat always seems to start and this involves moomba cruise. When moomba cruise is turned on and set and we accelerate it hesitates. Like it will start going then kind hesitate, then take off then stumble again and then take off and we are good. Only does this when moomba cruise is on.

New Guy
05-31-2011, 10:22 AM
I just installed PP and even with it off my boat was doing it. Yesterday it would not even refire for me and we had to get towed in. :(

mmandley
05-31-2011, 10:39 AM
i wonder if this is the new ethanol fuel we are getting. I know the OP said hes getting non ethanol but this is how my lawn mower runs. I know its not the same but my truck is diesel.

with the mower i have to drain the tank or fill it completly when it i put it away.

New Guy
05-31-2011, 10:45 AM
I had a quarter tank that I put stabile in it, then I filled it yesterday with 10% ethanol because that is all we can get around here.

zabooda
05-31-2011, 11:12 AM
When it didn't fire was the fuel pump running? I'm thinking your pump is going.

rdlangston13
05-31-2011, 11:27 AM
We have had 10% ethanol fuel here since 2006 and I have not had a single problem with it.

lrock
05-31-2011, 11:39 AM
I first thought maybe the PP was the issue. It seemed to start when we were using it. But, I use it all the time and especially use it later in the day when the problem would surface. Turning PP off had no effect in my trouble shooting of it.

I feel like my gas is good. I was at the lake with a good friend that is very high up in a local gas/oil company. We fueled up across town at a special station that just opened that has ethanol free gas and I even added the StaBil treatment because I had it on hand.

I too had to be towed in over the weekend. I will see if I can get the new fuel pump checked. Thanks for all the help. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Lrock

lrock
05-31-2011, 11:44 AM
When it didn't fire was the fuel pump running? I'm thinking your pump is going.

I would listen for a low hum when the key would turn. It is my understanding that the sound is the fuel pump primeing. Please let me know if I am wrong on this. I would hear the hum, but I did not visually check the fuel pump.

Lrock

New Guy
05-31-2011, 01:28 PM
I would listen for a low hum when the key would turn. It is my understanding that the sound is the fuel pump primeing. Please let me know if I am wrong on this. I would hear the hum, but I did not visually check the fuel pump.

Lrock

Yeah that is the fuel pump. I haven't looked into mine at all, yet hopefully tonight. Is there anywhere to tap in and check the fuel pressure?

DOCDRS
05-31-2011, 09:13 PM
I first thought maybe the PP was the issue. It seemed to start when we were using it. But, I use it all the time and especially use it later in the day when the problem would surface. Turning PP off had no effect in my trouble shooting of it.

I feel like my gas is good. I was at the lake with a good friend that is very high up in a local gas/oil company. We fueled up across town at a special station that just opened that has ethanol free gas and I even added the StaBil treatment because I had it on hand.

I too had to be towed in over the weekend. I will see if I can get the new fuel pump checked. Thanks for all the help. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Lrock

Please list your boat and motor

lrock
06-01-2011, 09:46 AM
06' Outback V, Indmar Assault 325, PP,

Lrock

New Guy
06-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Ok I think that I have it narrowed down. I can hear my fuel pump running when I turn the key on but there is no fuel at the schrader valve. There is air pressure there though. I checked all of my fuel lines and there is not an inline filter so I removed the supply line to the pump and put slight air pressure on the tank. I could only get a very small amount of fuel out of it. I then proceeded to remove floor to get at the pick up tube and check ball. I pulled the check ball and it was extremely tight. I could barely get it to open while blowing on and it would not open while sucking on it. I swapped the fitting so that the suction line would not have any check in it. The boat ran great. I still need to run it for an extended time to ensure that this took care of the problem. I will definitely be adding a inline filter.

Is the check ball in the system to help the engine keep its prime?

What would the repercussions be if it was eliminated?

Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Mark

Mikes
06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
The check ball is more of a back-flow preventer. Something to do with Coast Guard regs. I wont tell you to take it out but many people do!

rdlangston13
06-01-2011, 05:46 PM
The check ball is more of a back-flow preventer. Something to do with Coast Guard regs. I wont tell you to take it out but many people do!

all fuel injected vehicle have a check valve on the fuel pump to keep the system primed. if you remove the check valve or have a faulty one that does not keep the line primed it will lead to and extended cranking time when starting.

ldarr
06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Ran my 06 LSV with the carb'd Indmar fine all spring...got some gas, ran fine for an hour. Came back a few days later, it was a bit hard to start, although it started, warmed up, then began to just die...like it was running out of gas. Put a new fuel filter on last night, started, ran great for 20 min's, then began again to die. Put some Sea Foam into half full tank, no change. Thinking about draining tank tonite and hoping it fixes issue, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all..!

lrock
06-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Just got boat back. The new fuel filter was completely clogged and the thought is it would overheat the fuel pump. I am thinking the ethanol was breaking debris free in the system and clogging the filter. I hope the problem is fixed.

Lrock
06 outback v

FLGator
06-27-2011, 02:05 AM
I have a 07 Outback Direct Drive 325 Indmar. Bought 2 months ago. Starts great, runs great. Only problem --when I nail the throttle to bring up a skier or boarder the RPM's will rev fine, then darn near stall, then "catch" and rev back up and all is well. This happens 40+/- percent of the time -- and only when I really hammer the throttle -- slow acceleration is not an issue. I've been reading here about vapor locks, ethanol fuels, etc -- but I have not read a post with this specific type of occurrence. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

FLGator
07-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I have a 07 Outback Direct Drive 325 Indmar. Bought 2 months ago. Starts great, runs great. Only problem --when I nail the throttle to bring up a skier or boarder the RPM's will rev fine, then darn near stall, then "catch" and rev back up and all is well. This happens 40+/- percent of the time -- and only when I really hammer the throttle -- slow acceleration is not an issue. I've been reading here about vapor locks, ethanol fuels, etc -- but I have not read a post with this specific type of occurrence. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Took boat out yesterday. Talked with two different employees at the marina -- guarantee no ethanol in the fuel. Re-created the problem as soon as the boat was in the water, and every time thereafter all day long - so nothing to do with how long it's been running. Believe it's getting worse - used to have one "choke" when nailing the throttle, now its two, maybe 3 -- hasn't died yet, but nerve-wracking. Not to mention hard on the kids trying to board and ski... New fuel filter going in next week. Appreciate any other thoughts / feedback. thx.

Waterski1
07-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Seems like I have a similiar problem on my 2006 Outback v, 325. Last year, I put the boat in the water and it wouldm't start. It would just turn over but wouldn't catch. After about 15 minutes, I heard a whriling sound after turning the key. I tried starting it and it started. Ran fine but the RPM gauge was reading zero. The boat ran fine all summer long (except the RPM Guage). My dealer sent the ECM back to Indmar (ast the end of the season) to be reflashed in an attempt to get the RPM guage working again. Didn't work. According to Indmar, the only solution is a new ECM ($1600). Ouch, especailly with only 123hrs on it.

Yesterday, we took the boat out. Ran it for about 30 minutes and then dropped anchor. After about an hour we decided to ski. The boat started but sounded a little rough. I then turned it off to drop a skier in the water and it wouldn't start. Same problem as last year. Fournately I was able to get a tow. In the middle of the tow, the boat started. It ran great for another couple of hours although I never turned it off. When we got to the dock, we shut it down and restarted it. No problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.