PDA

View Full Version : trailer lights

Jceclipse01
05-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Do you guys unplug your trailer lights before you back into the water?

cowboyl
05-30-2011, 06:54 PM
normaly yes , but lately no only because i have full LED lighiting which will not burn out. if you have regular bulbs ALWAYS unplug the lights so the hot bulb to cold water dosent burn or in some cases blow up the bulb.

Razzman
05-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Never unplugged on any trailer, never burned a light. Besides if you unplug on a boatmate disc brake trailer with the A60 actuator your brakes lock unkess you use the manual lockout.

rdlangston13
05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Never unplugged on any trailer, never burned a light. Besides if you unplug on a boatmate disc brake trailer with the A60 actuator your brakes lock unkess you use the manual lockout.

I always unplug my lights when I back down the ramp into the water. it is such an easy simple thing to do just to make sure there are no problems i can not think of a reason not to do it.

If you unplug on a down hill boat ramp there should not be any pressure on the tongue to apply the trailer brakes...unless you have to back up a ramp to get to water...which doesnt make a lot of sense

viking
05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Same as Razzman! Never had a problem

ian ashton
05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
I also never unplug, didn't know it was something to even think about. My trailer is all LED also. I have yet to have to replace anything.

mmandley
05-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Nope i dont unplug anot only because there LED, because all the newer trailers are water proof lighting.

Lastly with my rock guard on the truck one of the nice freatures is not only is my 7plug connector locked in with the flap to hold the plug in, its a really tight fit behind my rock guard and is frankly a pain to plug and unplug lol.

Last summer i was using the standard 5pin to 7 pin adaptor when going on the camping trip to meet Al, Streetch, and some others and wouldnt you know it, the 5pin came undone, dragging on the ground and i find this out at the worst possible moment. As i make the last minute turn into the camping ground where i need to back up slightly to make this sharp turn and nope no back up. I find the plug undone, and only the reverse prong was damaged. It blocked the entire campsite entrance lol. I did enventurly hot wire the back up switch but it took a good 20 minutes of looking for the by pass plug for the trailer, then saying F this and pulling out my plyers.

Hoopskier
05-30-2011, 11:41 PM
I never unplug my trailer before it hits the water, any of them for that matter. LED or not. My moomba trailer is a combination of LED and standard bulbs. They get changed to LED as they burn out. Before someone says its cause of the cold water, I doubt it, its cause the trailer is 8 yrs old. Also dont unplug because I need the brake release.

Razzman
05-30-2011, 11:56 PM
I always unplug my lights when I back down the ramp into the water. it is such an easy simple thing to do just to make sure there are no problems i can not think of a reason not to do it.

If you unplug on a down hill boat ramp there should not be any pressure on the tongue to apply the trailer brakes...unless you have to back up a ramp to get to water...which doesnt make a lot of sense

Like I said, I can't think of one to do it. :p

lsvboombox
05-31-2011, 08:05 AM
never unplug the boat cause the lights on my rig, i do have a jetski trailer that is not led and the lights are not sealed and the lights pop every time I forget to unplug.....

Jceclipse01
05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys I think I will just start unplugging my lights when I back my boat since it is a 1998 better safe than sorry

Ian Brantford
05-31-2011, 11:04 PM
It's not just a matter of LED versus incandescent lights. If a seal fails and a circuit shorts out, you could lose all the trailer lights until you find a spare fuse. If the trailer lights were cheaply done on a taillight tap instead of a separate circuit, you lose the tow vehicle's lights too.

I unplug the lights after getting the trailer a bit down the ramp. I stop to do the final loosening of the bow strap there anyway, to undoing the lights costs me about 5 seconds.

New Guy
06-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Last summer i was using the standard 5pin to 7 pin adaptor when going on the camping trip to meet Al, Streetch, and some others and wouldnt you know it, the 5pin came undone, dragging on the ground and i find this out at the worst possible moment. As i make the last minute turn into the camping ground where i need to back up slightly to make this sharp turn and nope no back up. I find the plug undone, and only the reverse prong was damaged. It blocked the entire campsite entrance lol. I did enventurly hot wire the back up switch but it took a good 20 minutes of looking for the by pass plug for the trailer, then saying F this and pulling out my plyers.

Mike I believe that a nickel will fit in that slot just tape it in and you are good to go.

BTW I never unplug my lights standard bulbs and I never had a problem.

mmandley
06-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Mike I believe that a nickel will fit in that slot just tape it in and you are good to go.

BTW I never unplug my lights standard bulbs and I never had a problem.

I tried the nickle, now its wedged in my trailer tongue and i have to remove the slide mechanism lol.

rdlangston13
06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
my trailer came with a piece designed specifically for fitting in that gap to keep the brakes from activating when reversing with the lights unplugged. it never really stays in place tho. we only had to use it once when my buddies truck did not have a reverse light wire wired in.

Razzman
06-01-2011, 03:55 PM
For those that don't have the manual insert tool just call UFP (http://www.ufpnet.com/) direct and they'll send you one.