PDA

View Full Version : grab rail loose

ptcbtchr
05-30-2011, 03:56 PM
My new outback bow grab rail apparently wasn't properly tightened at the factory. I noticed it was loose a few days ago but today (in the extreme memorial day boat traffic) the bolt has come completely out. I am a bit upset as it scratched the gelcoat but now I need help in figuring out how to get behind the upholstery to access and reinstall the bolt ( it was under the bow cushion) I really don't want to make a 60 mile round trip to the dealer to fix something that someone missed during assembly. Any help or suggestion would be welcomed.

Mark

ps it's the front part of the rail that came loose

mmandley
05-30-2011, 04:15 PM
only way i know to access that rail is threw the Bow speaker. Remove it and you should be able to reach up there. It will take some twisting on your part.

moombahighrider
05-30-2011, 04:40 PM
I had the same problem. I got it done by removing the speaker and making some wierd facial expressions as I twisted to get my arm in there to reach. The hardest part was getting the washers and nuts to go on propperly with only a couple of fingers to work with.
I noticed that mine is a tad loose again, so I need to get in there one more time. Once you get it threaded, use a ratcheting closed end spanner to work it on tight.

ptcbtchr
05-30-2011, 06:51 PM
I thought about taking out the speaker but I took a different approach. Mine had come completely off so I took 16 guage wire, fished the bolt, and a extended drill driver with a socket attached thru the hole. I then used my cordless drill, a pocket knife to hold the bolt thru the hole and a few curse words, a lot of sweat and Voila!!! It's connected!! Maybe next time if it happens again I will use the speaker route! As always thanks for the advice and safe and happy boating!!

Mark