PDA

View Full Version : water in v-drive

Fred
05-29-2011, 08:25 PM
i have a 2005 mobius LSV with the 310 horse indmar. somehow there is water leaking into to v-drive oil reservoir. i can put a new quart of oil in and as soon as the prop starts to spin, the oil gets milky. I've tried flushing the bad oil out and replacing it with new SAE30 and it does not matter how clean the oil in the reservoir is, the minute it gets engaged, it looks like a milkshake. I also pulled the heat exchanger apart to see if it was leaking there(i dont think it is getting through there because there is no rupture in the housing). any information you could provide me with is greatly appreciated.

DOCDRS
05-29-2011, 09:03 PM
i have a 2005 mobius LSV with the 310 horse indmar. somehow there is water leaking into to v-drive oil reservoir. i can put a new quart of oil in and as soon as the prop starts to spin, the oil gets milky. I've tried flushing the bad oil out and replacing it with new SAE30 and it does not matter how clean the oil in the reservoir is, the minute it gets engaged, it looks like a milkshake. I also pulled the heat exchanger apart to see if it was leaking there(i dont think it is getting through there because there is no rupture in the housing). any information you could provide me with is greatly appreciated.

The only way water can get into a walters vdrive is from the top cooling reservoir , I believe. Did you winterize and blow/drain/suck the water out of this?

Fred
05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
yes but even if i didn't would it expand enough to crack a cast iron wall? i mean i live in buffalo so it gets cold, but not that cold.

Engine Nut
05-29-2011, 10:57 PM

The oil dipstick goes through the water chamber cover. If the gasket that seals around the dipstick hole is bad,water can run right down the dipstick hole and into the oil reservoir.

DOCDRS
05-29-2011, 11:20 PM
The oil dipstick goes through the water chamber cover. If the gasket that seals around the dipstick hole is bad,water can run right down the dipstick hole and into the oil reservoir.

Never thought of that, have to keep that in mind for the future and there is a lot of water flowing by that tube. Although the water is being sucked thru the v drive by the impeller I would think it would take some time for an amount to show up in the reservoir , but I'm sure Larry has seen it all.

DOCDRS
05-29-2011, 11:23 PM
yes but even if i didn't would it expand enough to crack a cast iron wall? i mean i live in buffalo so it gets cold, but not that cold.

if water was left in it yes it could crack the wall, but I guess I would expect you to possibly be sucking air and overheating, I kind of like what Larry mentioned ,and he is with Indmar so they see all the different types of failures
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5016983500_0296b48821_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44449644@N07/5016983500/)
sc00154584 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44449644@N07/5016983500/) by docdrs (http://www.flickr.com/people/44449644@N07/), on Flickr

Fred
05-30-2011, 07:58 AM
okay thanks a lot guys that just made my day a little better(and my wallet a little fatter). i'll give replacing the gasket a shot. where does one acquire such a part? should i go to the dealer or just call indmar?

Fred
05-30-2011, 08:21 AM
would i be possible that the water is getting in through the compression joints connected to the heat exchanger?

DOCDRS
05-30-2011, 09:04 AM
okay thanks a lot guys that just made my day a little better(and my wallet a little fatter). i'll give replacing the gasket a shot. where does one acquire such a part? should i go to the dealer or just call indmar?

I would call waltergear.com ? The guys there are great and they can give some more insight into your prob. You could try some rtg ? gasket maker maybe around the hole if your comfortable trying that.

DOCDRS
05-30-2011, 09:08 AM
would i be possible that the water is getting in through the compression joints connected to the heat exchanger?

I was going to mention that or the tube itself , not sure if it is sucked or pulled thru the tube, but the guys a waltergear are your best source , keep us posted.

Fred
05-30-2011, 09:32 PM
it turned out to be those compression fittings after all. I used some epoxy to seal the water reservoir from the fittings themselves. Just for a temporary fix until i can get some parts. but it worked just fine, for now. I also used some liquid casket maker to seal the dipstick hole. I put her in the water and put the engine under some pretty typical conditions and pulled a wakeboarder around for a good hour. the oil was not milky at all and the vitals are flawless. thank you again.

DOCDRS
05-30-2011, 10:11 PM
it turned out to be those compression fittings after all. I used some epoxy to seal the water reservoir from the fittings themselves. Just for a temporary fix until i can get some parts. but it worked just fine, for now. I also used some liquid casket maker to seal the dipstick hole. I put her in the water and put the engine under some pretty typical conditions and pulled a wakeboarder around for a good hour. the oil was not milky at all and the vitals are flawless. thank you again.

do you think they were just not tight? did they vibrate loose? how many hours on your boat? maybe your alignment is out? btw thanks for posting the update