PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Mufflers

Doogle
05-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Good afternoon - I have a 2000 Moomba Outback that is leaking in a significant amount of water through the mufflers......one of the options my marina has given me is to remove the mufflers completely. Is this a wise choice? Is the noise without the mufflers significant (will I get all my neighbors ticked at me?) or will I notice much of a difference?

rdlangston13
05-29-2011, 04:42 PM
I would be all about taking the mufflers out of my boat if I didn't jam tunes at unnecessarily volume levels while i wake board. I think at idle and slow speeds while the exhaust is under the water line it will be fine. however once you speed up and the exhaust is no longer submerged it might be substantially louder

11 Outback V
05-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Removing the muffler will definitely make the boat louder. not as much at idle but once on plane or close to it, the noise will be totally different. you need to weigh the pros and cons.
you will need to buy some sort of connector from the riser to the outlet
you will loose back pressure to the motor, may effect warranty
you might gain some performance

why not just repair the factory muffler, its made of fiberglass....

rdlangston13
05-29-2011, 06:44 PM
How much does a muffler really effect back pressure? I mean it is just some baffles to cancel out sound waves. I would totally run straight pipes in mine if i could still hear music while boarding lol

DOCDRS
05-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Good afternoon - I have a 2000 Moomba Outback that is leaking in a significant amount of water through the mufflers......one of the options my marina has given me is to remove the mufflers completely. Is this a wise choice? Is the noise without the mufflers significant (will I get all my neighbors ticked at me?) or will I notice much of a difference?

check out the how to section , I just posted a how to thread on muffler repair. may or may not work for you http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7813&highlight=muffler

viking
05-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I thought about replacing my last fall when I had to get my mufflers fixed. Re-searched quite a bit and no problem running straight pipe (if that's what you want?) Reason I didn't is because at speed the boat is loud enough for me!

If it were only to make it louder for the rest of the lake to hear - I would have done it! But to try and carry a conversation or hear music it just didn't seem appropriate.

Ended up sending mine back to UltraMarine and had them rework them!