PDA

View Full Version : Boat taking on water question

06outback
05-29-2011, 01:38 PM
I went to the lake yesterday for the first time this year. I bumped the rudder on a rock leaving the loading ramp, not very hard though. I noticed once we got to the dock that the boat had about 2" of water under the motor. I bilged it out and about every 2-3hrs I would check and have about the same amount. The motor is not leaking anywhere and I cannot see water dripping out of anything. does the rudder have a seal that may have broke loose. At the end of last year it did not leak. The boat was also parked with the waves hitting the back of the boat if that makes any difference.

mmandley
05-29-2011, 02:10 PM
There is a seal on the rudder, as the steering cable attaches inside the boat.

I am how ever not sure how to inspect or replace the seal.

rdlangston13
05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
you would think that any type of seal on the rudder would be fairly substantial due to the forces applied on the rudder during basic turns and such.

davinci
05-29-2011, 03:45 PM
There are actually 2 seals , one on the bottom and one on the inside 4"x4" with 4bolt holes on the rudder sleeve but I highly doubt that it leaks from there. You would have to literally rip off the fiberglass for it to leak there but there is always a possibility.Chech the shaft packing before you go nuts .