PDA

View Full Version : Used To Hate Jetski Riders

spoon03
05-29-2011, 10:57 AM
I used to hate jet ski riders and owners....They would ride very close to the back of my boat to try and jump the wakes, tear up the water close to the launch and the ski areas, ride extremely fast close to people and kids, and just generally inconsiderate to fellow lake goers.

I have to change my opinion. The 2 times that I have been stuck on the water, guess who came to my rescue? No, not fellow boaters, but jetskiers. I got rope stuck in my prop and one brought me a knife in the middle of winter, and I just had a overheat prob recently and a jet ski towed me to the dock not a boater. To all the bad thoughts I gave to jetski riders and owners, I apoligize. To my fellow boaters, try to help out on the water. I guarantee there will be a day when you will need assistance. Give back. I know I will even if its a jetskier.

jpetty3023
05-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Great post brother. I owned a jet ski about 10 years ago and have since upgraded to silly boats and now my MOOMBA but I have pulled 2 boats in and filled a gas can once for boaters from my ski I've also pulled boater to boater though so my general rule is if they are stuck help them out cause I sure would like the the help when/if I ever need it

rdlangston13
05-29-2011, 02:35 PM
i dont typically get bothered too much but jetskis/waverunners when i am on the water. if they want to jump my wake as i cruise about it does no harm to me so i let them have their fun. hell when i ride my dads new yamaha vxr i like to jump boat wakes too. i dont typically feel endangered by them following, never have one get close enough that i felt there was a chance of a collision.

bashton
05-29-2011, 02:55 PM
It is great to hear you have considerate Jet-skiers where you boat. In our lake, the jet skiers are generally inconsiderate and have no business being on or even near the water.

Yes...I would assist a jet skier in need, but why the heck do they always seem to want to destroy the decent flat water, especially when there are hardly any boats around?

Sorry...just venting a bit! lol

Bashton
2009 DD Outback

ian ashton
05-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Dad, our boat is an '08, not '09

05-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Quick story.
3 years ago, long weekend in July, Im surfing, & some jack asses are riding their useless rental jetskis jumping our wake behind me. i decide it's too rough and I'm done so I cut in on my surf board (with the rope), fly off the board and do a super man to crash for fun. i come up from the water to see the jetski coming straight at me at 40mph. I have a split second to decide to try to dodge to the left or right while bobbing in my life jacket. I go left, cover up my face with my arms and he drives right over me missing me by 6 inches. I would have died. We had words. I am lucky to have walked away with nothing but a bad memory.

It was that day I lost all respect for jetskiers who jump our wakes. I have a mic on my boat and I yelled at 2 sets of them who were following us jumping our waves. Both sets stopped immediatley. What if my son fell out while we were driving (I know I know, not likely) and he got hit by one of these jetskis. The law doesn't allow for it and I mean they get what, 6 worthless inches of air. I just don't put up with it anymore.

Rant over.

The thread can resume............

Suprahunter
05-30-2011, 06:18 AM
I ran out of gas yesterday. I flagged down the first boat that came by an IO. He towed me 500 yards to the marina. Know doubt he saved the day with his quick response. As for ski jets they are concentrating on their tricks and not paying attention to whats around them. That makes them very dangerous.

c.rix
05-30-2011, 11:37 PM
never been towed in but I have pulled in a mastercraft and a malibu both ran over their own ropes

lsvboombox
05-31-2011, 08:13 AM
on my lake it seems boating laws go right out the window.. doesnt matter whether they are on jetskiis or boats. no one seems to understand the rules of the water anymore.......

zabooda
05-31-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm surprised the jetskiers actually looked around and found a boater in need. Usually, they are in their own zone that things around them looks like a blur. We try to keep the sheriff in the area and that keeps many of them away as most get tickets when they get checked for their boating license.

rdlangston13
05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
I ride a waverunner from time to time as my dad owns one and i dont feel like i am that inconsiderate about other people on the water. maybe it's because i also own a boat and feel for the boaters as well?

loudsubz
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
We own a Honda Aquatrax as well as a Moomba LSV. I tend to agree that it is not just jet ski owners that are the problems its the person(s) in general. Have seen some boaters that are just as oblivious.

When I am on the water I like to have a good time on the ski (thats what they were designed for) but I am also a good observer and keep my eye out for others in need and to stay away and do my thing in quiet parts of the lake.

Saying you hate jetskiers lumps them all into 1 group and is not a fair judgement. I could say I hate all wakeboarders (including myself) because they kick up a wake that ruins our shoreline etc...

kaneboats
05-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Well, I hate everybody, including jetskiers.

mmandley
05-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Well, I hate everybody, including jetskiers.

HAHA thats just dam funny,

I;m the same way i always goto where the least amount of people are and try to stay there.

Ive been almost ran over by boats more then Jet skis. Its the Bayliners, Rienells, Four Winds, and North River boats that scare me the most.

wolfeman131
05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
there were as many, obviously mentally challenged, wakeboat drivers on the lake this weekend as jetski drivers.

the solution is somewhere along the lines of requiring a special license (like what is required for motorcycles) and increased presence of authorities on the water.

Ian Brantford
05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
I agree on the licensing being a good thing. When it was introduced here in Canada, there were howls of protest about how it was just a cash grab. However, it has the intended effect of making sure that every boat operator has had to learn the rules at least once. Previously, it was a safe bet that many simply were completely unaware of major safety issues, much less actual rules.

The licensing requirements were phased in over a ten-year period. It started with the smallest (and most likely to put people unexpectedly in the water): PWC's and those tippy little fishing boats. There are still a few operators of the very small craft who think that floatation vests make great seatcushions, but they are becoming the exception.

Sadly, it wasn't people flouting everyday risks that led to the operator permits becoming mandatory. It was due to a few unfortunate occasions of severe ignorance, such as a family of seven immigrants piling into a tiny aluminum boat and heading out to a large lake without checking the weather forecast or asking locals about conditions. The boat was barely afloat when they left shore and didn't last long when a storm moved in. :-(

hrci
02-05-2021, 05:05 PM
Hi...This is a very useful post. Thank you for sharing. I must write about my experience in Split, Croatia. We rent a boat for a day tour, and of course, we lost gas in the middle of the Adriatic canal. A big storm behind us was just brewing. Before that time I really hated jet ski riders, but then this guy Hrvoje who is the owner of jet ski split (https://jetskisplit.com/) company saved us. He just finished a jet ski safari tour which is very popular there, he returned with jet skis to pick up us. After that, I still don't like jet ski riders, but not so much like before. :)

Vati' Gang
02-05-2021, 05:37 PM
There's been some great journalism done on this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZTj_EoisNU&ab_channel=BarstoolSports

Ralphy
02-05-2021, 07:15 PM
We have always had a jatski. I have a 19 and 25 year old sons who love it. They both took the safety course before they could drive and I spent a lot of time embedding common sense. We jump the wakes, but do so at least 100 feet away from boats. Anyway, before we had the lakehouse, and pulled the ski to beaches and lakes, 80% of the riders were ignorant and reckless. So in general I hate "other jetskis" LOL. On our lake, everyone who has a jetski is also a boater and there are no problems.
It really comes down to education.