PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass muffler to Rubber Hose Question

Lynn Syndrom
05-26-2011, 11:27 PM
I had the need to remove the rubber hose from the exit end of the fiberglass mufffler tube on my 2003 Outback for other repairs I was doing.

During reassembly I found it very difficult to get the hose to seal back onto the fiberglass (male portion) of the muffler tube. This was mainly due to the end of the muffler tube being tapered, and not very strong. It seamed that the fiberglass tube was crushing when I was tightening the hose clamp up even with just a screw driver. The muffler tube extension designed to receive the rubber hose is also less than 2 inches in length making it difficult to get both hose clamps to hold well.

Question: Does anyone have an idea on how to improve this and/or get it to seal?

It almost seams like there should be some metal support inside the muffler tube extension to offer some material strength to clamp against.

Sorry I did not have time to take some pictures to help explain.

mmandley
05-27-2011, 08:35 AM
You can measure the inside diameter and get a sleeve for it or made. You can use just PVC in the plumbers section to add stregth to it. It doesnt take much pressue to hold the hose on though. At the same time it shouldnt be crushing while you tighten it eighter.

Lynn Syndrom
05-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Thank you for the information and the ideas...I take some measurements of the fiberglass exhaust tube extension and work to get some sort of internal support.

The fiberglass tube extension is weak enough to be flexed by just a mild squeeze and has an overlap seam (at an angle) from the point where the extension meets the large OD section of the exhaust to the end of the final end of the extension.

Kind of disappointed with the design but I agree it should not need musch clamping pressure to seal the hose. I am certainly cautious about not applying a crushing forcee to the clamp.

I greatly appriciate your help...and i'll let ya know how it goes.

Also...I have seen your name on several other posts...great job with those...I have learned allot.
Mike

Razzman
05-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Toss the worm drive hose clamps and use aircraft style stainless wide band clamps. they have two "ears" that stick up with a threaded rod between them that applies even pressure.

davinci
05-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Just installed my muffler not long ago, that hose is such a damn tight fit it hardly needs a clamp. there is really no need to over tighten It won't leak.

james yarosz
05-27-2011, 07:49 PM
I also have an 03 Outback which I bought brand new.Shortly after I bought it I developed water leaks at both mufflers.The factory must have overtightened the clamps since both mufflers were cracked.The dealer replaced both under warranty.They have been fine ever since.

viking
05-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Just installed my muffler not long ago, that hose is such a damn tight fit it hardly needs a clamp. there is really no need to over tighten It won't leak.

I'll echo that remark.
it's such a tight fit that it's hard enough just getting the muffler and the exhaust hose to fit together. Once they are joined up and snug - I think the double hose clamp is overkill!!
on my DD I had to be a contortionist just to put it all back together :)