PDA

View Full Version : boat will not stay running

casmith71
05-26-2011, 10:35 PM
it has done this off and on the past few weekends but eventually works. when i crank the boat it will only crank and then when key is returned to on it dies. if i hold the key in the crank position it stays running (only did that for a second or two). i have ruled out the ignition switch, the oil preasure sensor, and the kill switch. it is obviously getting fuel,air,and spark bc it will stay running in the crank position. what is the problem?

Ian Brantford
05-26-2011, 11:47 PM
It might not be getting enough sustained fuel. The fuel filter(s) would be the easiest next thing to check as a culprit.

mmandley
05-27-2011, 08:51 AM
What makes you rule out the ignition switch?

If the boat cranks when in crank and runs, is the starter still engaged? If you hold the key in the crank position after an engine starts it will over take the starter in RPM and give you the grinding noise.

WHen you return the key to Run position and the boat dies then this tells me eighter the Run position is bad, due to alignment, conections, or something wrong with the engine.

When it does run is strong sounding? Sputtering or anything?

Are you ever able to get the engine to run for any real length of time?

This sounds more like water in the fuel, bad fuel filter, or low fuel pressure from the pump.

casmith71
05-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Ian,
my fuel pump went out on me the first time out this season so i have a new fuel pump and filter. i did pull the fuel line off the carb and fuel is coming out like normal flow.

mmandley,
i replaced the ignition switch a few weeks ago after it went out(i had this problem before replacing the switch). i ran a jumper from the red wire to the purple ign wire on the back of the ignition to rule out the switch.
i only held the key in crank for a second or two, not long enough for the engine to overtake the starter

the problem has happened on and off the past three times out. it seems to be a hit and miss. it has done it on three seperate tanks of gas, so i don't think it's bad gas or water in the fuel. when the boat is running it runs good and strong the whole time.
if it is low fuel preassure, would it only happen every now and then and only while cranking?

nexxis
08-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Did you ever resolve this? My 2009 Outback is doing the same thing.
I crank it and it starts fine but shuts off after I return to “ON” and let go of the key. I crank a couple times, boat sputters with a little white smoke, then eventually stay on and runs perfectly the entire time out.

I changed the fuel filter (unless I put it on backwards lol), maybe fuel is separated?

heyset
07-05-2021, 05:34 PM
I'm having the exact same issue as you had. Do you remember what the fix was?

nexxis
07-05-2021, 08:10 PM
I'm having the exact same issue as you had. Do you remember what the fix was?

If I can remember correctly, it was the ignition switch. I ordered one from the dealership for like $40. Cheapest thing I’ve ever bought from a dealer, and easiest fix.