PDA

View Full Version : Question on 99 Outback, Tower and Bimini

fahrer
05-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Hello,

Has anyone installed a Monster Tower (MT2 or MT1) and still able to use the OEM Bimini? Trying to figure out if I can keep the top or if it will be history. Any other towers (high quality and quiet) that are compatible with the OEM Bimini? Pics appreciated.

Thanks.
E

KSmith
05-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Without a picture to help I have no idea what your bimini set up is like.

However, having experience with Monster Towers I would venture a guess that no, your original bimini will not be usable AS IS with the Monster Tower installed. The front legs of the Monster Tower will be the main problem as the angle in from the gunnel where the feet mount to the crossbar mounts which are quite a ways inside from the gunnel mounts. The original bimini I suspect will hit the front legs when trying to deploy forward of where the front legs connect to the tower crossbar. Both the MT1 and MT2 front legs arch inward from the gunnel quite a bit, I suspect neither would work well with the stock bimini if it has any height to it.

One option may be to cut down the bimini legs so it fits under the front legs at a height to be determined.

You could snag a new bimini from Monster, the cargo bimini is quite nice.

fahrer
05-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. Included 2 pictures of my boat with the bimini and one from the monster website with the mt2 on an outback. Looking only at the these pictures it seemed to me (before your post) that since the bimini is fairly low in height and does not extend beyond the windshield, it might just work. Would be interesting to see an MT2 from head on or from rear to get a feel for that angle in from the gunnel you mentioned. Anyway, do these pics confirm what you said about the bimini hitting the front legs or is there hope here?

1. You mentioned cutting down the bimini legs - does that still look feasible give the pics of my top?

2. My bimini is 78"W x 60"L. I've seen the cargo bimini on the Monster website and looks to be a big difference in width. Is it safe to assume the medium size (60"W x 65"L) will work with the MT2?

Thanks again.
E

kaneboats
05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Here's an option you may not have thought of. I took the middle bow out and used the tower. The top went over the top of the tower and mounted to the sides. This was an aftermarket tower but you get the idea. I wanted a lot more shade than the smallish tower bimini would have provided. Here's a pic from a beautiful morning on Lake Lanier in 2008.

wolfeman131
05-31-2011, 11:20 AM
kane - all that "beach" that you see in that pic is underwater now! Lanier is back up to full pool.

kaneboats
05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
I'd love to go there again but it would have to be a weekday. No way on a weekend.