PDA

View Full Version : moomba vs moomba

mudaa
05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
So I have a question for everyone. Currently I'm driving my 04 Outback LS and having a good time. However due to the popularity of where we go on vacation Im seeing the need for a bigger boat. It looks like you can have up to 16 on a few of the XLV models. I have not ski'd / wakeboarded behind a vdrive before, does any have an opinion as to the diffrences?

utilityvehicle
05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
I just sold my direct drive for a Vdrive and the skiing is much different than before. Wake is definately larger

skiyaker
05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
your ski wake would be much worse behind the XLV- but whether it matters really depends on how you ski. If you pull hard through the wakes or want to do a slalom course the XLV wouldn't be suitable. But if you ski like we used to ski behind my dad's bass tracker deck boat- that is just get outside the wake and hot dog around a little and never really maintain any speed across the wake- then it wouldn't matter.

For wakeboarding and surfing you'd have an ideal setup in the XLV

dru1974
05-25-2011, 05:49 PM
You could look for a used mobius ls I have one it's bigger and has a good wake. You can see the wake in my profile pic at 32mph 21 feet 6"

DOCDRS
05-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Uh , I do believe the mobius ls is the same as the outback ls

dru1974
05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Nope my mobius is exactly the same hull as your lsv only a direct drive. The final year of production was 2010

DOCDRS
05-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Nope my mobius is exactly the same hull as your lsv only a direct drive. The final year of production was 2010

Yes but if you look at the 2007 outback ls it is the same length as the mobius ls 2007 and the 2010 mobius ls.....therefore the same size

DOCDRS
05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
They increase the size of the ls model in 2006. The mobius is the same size as the outback ls in each year side by side

dru1974
05-25-2011, 08:34 PM
I see what u mean. The size of his present boat is 20'8" so you wouldn't gain much size in a ski boat

Ian Brantford
05-25-2011, 11:06 PM
16 people won't really fit in the XLV unless they are small kids. The 16 figure is simply the weight capacity divided by 150 lbs average weight.

Actual seating capacity is more like a tight maximum of 10 in the interior and three in the bow. Comfortable seating is more like 6 or 7 in the interior and 2 in the bow.

The XLV has a seatcushion that converts to the seatback of the reversible stadium seating. Upside: the stadium seating has a seatback, so it's great to use and is very popular, especially for photographers. Downside: removing that seatcushion loses seating for two. The optional cooler can replace this lost two-person space, but it's not really comfortable for two -- one at most. It's a bit higher than the rest of the seating.

The XLV does gain a rear-facing seat via a flip-up seatback on the raised center storage area. It's mainly for a short person whose head won't touch the windshield. This seat is immediately to the driver's left.

There is another front-facing flip-up seatback in the bow (you step on it while walking through from the interior), giving a front-facing row of seating for three. If you sit there, you can have one lady under each arm. Married men, feel free to start cursing me now. :-)

you da man
05-25-2011, 11:40 PM
The XLV will fit 10 adults comfortably. The ski wake will be large to say the least. Wakeboarding wake needs more speed than 90% of weekend warriors would want to have clean wakes. I sold my XLV because of this BUT the XLV has very good surf wakes on both side but the regular side is very good when the boat is sacked out with some serious weight. The XLV does have a lot more freeboard than the other Moombas which is nice if you're on a big water lake that can get rough.

05-26-2011, 02:05 AM
How many hours did you have on it when you sold it?

you da man
05-26-2011, 02:24 AM
How many hours did you have on it when you sold it?

140 hrs but my boat was bought new in Sept '09 as a leftover '08.

rdlangston13
05-26-2011, 10:33 AM
that still seems low for how much you and your lady took it out. i have racked up 40 hours this season alone already and it is only may...

mmandley
05-27-2011, 08:44 AM
that still seems low for how much you and your lady took it out. i have racked up 40 hours this season alone already and it is only may...

Thats sad, i think i only got 40 hours on my boat all last season due to weather and such and i tend to go out 3xs a week when i have the crew.