PDA

View Full Version : Block to rest trailer on

pmoomba
05-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Just browsing around WW I saw this pic in a thread about trailer jacks.

I have to keep my boat in my asphalt driveway and the single wheel jack is leaving dents after it sits for a while. I want to replace my jack anyway and I was thinking about a double wheel jack which would spread it out the load at least a little, but probably not enough to stop making dents. I have to manually pull my trailer around a little every time I back it in though so that might make it harder.

This pic inspired me though, maybe I can just make some sort of block like that to rest the trailer on instead of the jack. I figured I'd just measure the height and construct something similar to the above with some pressure treated lumber from home depot or something, but anyone have other suggestions? This a good/bad idea in a level driveway?

mnpracing
05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Just browsing around WW I saw this pic in a thread about trailer jacks.

I have to keep my boat in my asphalt driveway and the single wheel jack is leaving dents after it sits for a while. I want to replace my jack anyway and I was thinking about a double wheel jack which would spread it out the load at least a little, but probably not enough to stop making dents. I have to manually pull my trailer around a little every time I back it in though so that might make it harder.

This pic inspired me though, maybe I can just make some sort of block like that to rest the trailer on instead of the jack. I figured I'd just measure the height and construct something similar to the above with some pressure treated lumber from home depot or something, but anyone have other suggestions? This a good/bad idea in a level driveway?

My boat is in the garage when not in use and I always rest the tongue on a wood block for stability and to save the stress on the jack. Make sure to chock the tires. I'm always in and out of the boat when it's in the garage and the blocking keeps it stable. Before I used the blocking I never had a problem, but I feel better having it blocked in case the jack does give way with the kiddies running around...

sandm
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
personally, I'd head to a "real" lumberyard and look for some stout 4x4 material and construct something like you have pictured. I wouldn't settle for any old pressure treated material. ask the lumberyard what material would resist splitting and sustain the weight of the boat trailer and weather the best. might cost a few $ more, but in the end, the peace of mind would be worth it to me.

some screws in it and a handle on the side and you have something somewhat portable :)

good luck and second the chocking of the tires.

Hoopskier
05-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I do something similar to you guys. I don't use wood at all. I use an automotive jack stand. Rated 6 tons (its what I had and the right height range), I'm sure it will hold the tongue of the trailer. I use the stand when the boat is parked in the garage (concrete floor). Then use the trailer jack when you need to move the boat. Provides stability when loading, unloading, and cleaning the boat.

For Pmoomba, a jack stand will still leave dents in a blacktop driveway. But it would be easy to modify a jack stand with piece of plywood under it to spread the weight.

mcdye
05-25-2011, 01:24 PM
My boat is in the garage when not in use and I always rest the tongue on a wood block for stability and to save the stress on the jack. Make sure to chock the tires. I'm always in and out of the boat when it's in the garage and the blocking keeps it stable. Before I used the blocking I never had a problem, but I feel better having it blocked in case the jack does give way with the kiddies running around...

ditto... but I use a cinder block with a towel on it. I leave the jack close to the ground as a backup, but with no weight on it.

lsvboombox
05-25-2011, 01:35 PM
what about something like this to protect driveway, a block of wood is cheaper though

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200414695_200414695?cm_sp=Upsells-_-Top%20Sellers-_-Product%20Page

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/145636_lg.jpg

cab13367
05-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Like the others, I use a jack stand with a hockey puck on top of it so it doesn't scrape the paint of the trailer and position it just behind the coupler. I lower the trailer onto it using the trailer jack to relieve the pressure off the jack.

For your issue, I would cut a 12" x 12" piece of 1/2" or thicker plywood and put the jack stand on top of it. Or a thick plastic cutting board - would be impervious to the elements.

Al

Razzman
05-25-2011, 01:49 PM
My buddy has a hd jack stand, he welded a ball on top and a metal plate to the base. it's rock solid.

sandm
05-25-2011, 02:05 PM
ditto... but I use a cinder block with a towel on it. I leave the jack close to the ground as a backup, but with no weight on it.

I would not recommend a cinder block. not sure that they are rated for what you are doing and seen too many crumbled on construction sites..
just my .02 :)

zabooda
05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Get a piece of flat steel that can spread the weight out from your jack.

pmoomba
05-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys I didn't think of a jack stand for some reason. I'll just pick one of those up and some wood or something to put underneath to spread the load.