PDA

View Full Version : Charging batteries with a VSR

jmvotto
05-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Both my batteries are extremely low and i have a portable dc 120v charger. whats the best way to charge the batteries?

turn VSR to off and charge each one independently.

or turn to 1 or 2 and let them combine and after one is fully charged the other will combine and charge

Ps i can do 2 amp, 10 amp and 15 amp charging slow or deep cycling.

mmandley
05-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Im still learning this system but what i did the other day was put it on combine and connected it to my stereo bank. Im not sure if this charges them all or not but thats how i did it on my Perko switch.

Im sure Dave with Earmark or Al will pop in and know the correct answer lol.

Gottop69
05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I was thinking of adding a onboard charger you bolt up to the batteries and plug it in when not in use for a trickle charge

lsvboombox
05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
this is from BEP FAQ's

10. Q. How does my battery charger fit into the wiring of the VSR?

A. If using a Dual sense VSR you can connect your battery charger to either bank of batteries. When the charger brings the battery above 13.7 volts the VSR will engage and parallel the second bank. This will happen if you are connected to the start or the house battery.

A. If using a single sense VSR as used on BEP Clusters you can connect the charger to the House battery and this will charge the house bank only. If you connect to the start battery it will charge the start battery first then engage the VSR and charge the house battery.

A. The battery charger can be connected at the battery pos and neg connections.

cab13367
05-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Joe,

In order to chemically excite and properly desulfate a discharged battery, you must apply charging current equal to 10-13% of it’s total AH rating. The standard group 24 battery is rated about 55 AH so it needs 5.5 – 7 amps. A group 27 lead acid battery may be rated 110AH so it needs 11-14 amps. If you set your charger on 15 amps and engage the VSR, each battery will see 7.5 amps. Sufficient for the Group 24 but not for the Group 27.

So I suggest turning off the VSR and charging the larger battery first and set it on the appropriate setting based on the 10-13% guideline. Once it’s fully charged, then charge the other battery in the same manner.

Al

jmvotto
05-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys, I knew you would come through. first time I have to charge these baterries since i bought it Fall of 07....

cab13367
05-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Im still learning this system but what i did the other day was put it on combine and connected it to my stereo bank. Im not sure if this charges them all or not but thats how i did it on my Perko switch.

Im sure Dave with Earmark or Al will pop in and know the correct answer lol.

Mike,

You can leave the switch in "ON" and connect your single bank charged to either battery. After the voltage across the battery being charged is 13.0 or higher for two minutes, the ACR will close and combine both batteries so each will receive 1/2 of the charge current. You will see the light on the ACR come on at that point.

If you don't want the ACR to combine, set the battery switch to "OFF" assuming you connected the ACR to the battery switch rather than direct to the batteries. This will take the ACR out of the equation.

Al

mmandley
05-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Joe,

In order to chemically excite and properly desulfate a discharged battery, you must apply charging current equal to 10-13% of it’s total AH rating. The standard group 24 battery is rated about 55 AH so it needs 5.5 – 7 amps. A group 27 lead acid battery may be rated 110AH so it needs 11-14 amps. If you set your charger on 15 amps and engage the VSR, each battery will see 7.5 amps. Sufficient for the Group 24 but not for the Group 27.

So I suggest turning off the VSR and charging the larger battery first and set it on the appropriate setting based on the 10-13% guideline. Once it’s fully charged, then charge the other battery in the same manner.

Al

Dam thought i was reading a post from Dave at Earmark for a minute had to check who the poster was to be sure.

cab13367
05-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Dam thought i was reading a post from Dave at Earmark for a minute had to check who the poster was to be sure.

LOL! Yes, I've learned a lot on this subject from David.

jmvotto
05-24-2011, 06:57 PM

That's funny

Razzman
05-24-2011, 07:07 PM
That's funny

X2 ... Lol! :p