PDA

View Full Version : Gravity III ballast question

Runnnin
05-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Tested my new pair 750 bags and stock center a couple of weeks ago. All filled and emptied no problem.

This weekend turned on the system, heard pumps running, but no filling occurred. After a few minutes I unscrewed one of the "straining filters" on the left side. Water gushed out, put it back together, everything filled except the center. I flipped the "on" switch by the center pump and the floor filled. Once it filled I turned the pump line back to "off" so the driver switches regained full control.

I was wondering if my lines might be clogged due to lake debris? Any other thoughts or troubleshooting advise?

Thanks,

Kirk

kaneboats
05-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Come on fellas! If you are going to ask a question about your boat be sure to post at least the year and model. This stuff changes all the time and it's really hard to help if we don't know which system you have. One thing you can do is add it to your signature. Most guys on here are more than willing to share knowledge but nobody wants to type a detailed response and then have the fella that posed the question come back with, "Yea but, my boat is a 2003 . . ."

Runnnin
05-23-2011, 03:48 PM
My boat is a 2008 LSV...

Thanks!

Kirk

deafgoose
05-23-2011, 04:01 PM
I doubt it would be clogged. You have a strainer on your manifold.

mmandley
05-23-2011, 04:02 PM
From what it sounds, you couldnt get anything to fill.

Then you removed the strainer and water flowed.

Now your rear bags work fine.

Center bag didnt fill.

You used the manual switch to make it fill and no issue then you switched it off.

Now if you hit the ballast center bag switch does the bag fill and drain? If yes then id suspect the valve stuck or had debris and you cleared it with the manual overide level.

If the center still doesnt fill unless you use the manual overide then id suspect the fuse at the center ballast switch. Or a problem at the vavle where the electrical solenoid is.

newty
05-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Often times you get an air lock in the pump and/or the valves. This prevents flow to the bags.

Next time, flip all your fill switches on, then get the boat up on plane for a minute or so. This creates pressure at the through-hull and forces water up through the pump and solenoid valves. This will "prime the system". That should solve your problems.

moombadaze
05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I'd try Newty's suggestion to start with.

Runnnin
05-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys!

I think "air" is likely the culprit. I'll give this a try tomorrow...

Kirk

Runnnin
05-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks all for the help...

*Got on plane and back ballast began filling
*Center ballast solenoid was tight but must have not been making good contact. I losened and tightened back water flowed.

Kirk

kaneboats
05-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Glad to hear it. The system in your boat is a little quirky but it does work if you understand it. You can find posts on here about how to easily add a second fill pump when you upgrade to the 750's for surfing. Enjoy!

Runnnin
06-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Well I'm sorry to say my problem with the center ballast continues to act up. The only way to fill is to flip the on switch at the pump. Once the center sac is full I can return the pump switch to the off position and the drivers switch works for emptying the sac. When I take off the line at the pump water is flowing so the pump seems fine. I thought I had fixed it while I was messing with the solenoid (grey device that screws in at the pump). I had gotten it to fill properly when I wiggled the solenoid. With the reoccurance I went back to "wiggling" the solenoid with no luck. I guess this is pointing to my need to replace this solenoid? Would a faulty solenoid allow for the emptying and not the filling of the sac? We got busy surfing but I wish I would have switched over one of the other solenoids to confirm that was the problem!

I'll wait and see what you guys think but probably need to call my dealer this week and order a replacement.

Thanks,

Kirk
2008 LSV

jmvotto
06-02-2011, 08:08 AM
home depot or lowes or sprinlkerwarehouse.com online will have those

kaneboats
06-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Moombadaze has a box full of them he would probably trade for a beer.

If it were me I'd order an Irritrol 700 series valve for one (or both) of the rear bags and swap one of those for the center. You'll end up upgrading to a larger bag in at least one of the rears if not both before long anyway and you'll appreciate the increased flow so the bigger bag fills faster. In other words, don't buy more of the stock junk-- upgrade now and put a working one on the center line.

They are only a couple bucks more and well worth it due to far superior design.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Valve-p/IR-700B-75.htm

Runnnin
06-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I got three delivered this week based upon all the good insight given on the forum.
I couldnt identify the +\- coming off the 700 solenoid. Does it matter? Also picked up that taking off the "on/off" switch on the 700 was a good idea?

I'll switch all three Thursday and hope my ballast issues are behind me...at least for awhile!

Thanks again all,

Kirk
2008 LSV

kaneboats
06-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Be sure to let us know how it works out.

kaneboats
06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Next you will want to check out post #14 in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=14697&page=2&highlight=rule+pump

Runnnin
06-17-2011, 12:05 AM
I had it I fixed last time, I thought...until the next time out.

Ends up my center ballast switch was going/gone bad! Put a new one in all problems solved. Probably should have gotten an extra switch from the start I guess and eliminated that possibility. Well I do have 3 new Irritrol 700's so that softens the blow as I realize I have much to learn about my boat!

"Post #14" haunts me in my dreams and it may be time to conquer my fears.

Thanks!

Kirk

kaneboats
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Just wait for the Exile dreams to start. Boo!:evil: