PDA

View Full Version : Trailer touch up.

jmvotto
05-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Just notice a 10 " long scratch on my trailer, very thin but own to the metal. What's the best way to touch it up? Prep and paint the area in question.

bergermaister
05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I have a little spot to do as well - a close encounter at the launch left me with a nice dent in the fender and a strip missing some paint. Rubber from the asshole's tire was still stuck to my frame and flaking off when I discovered it (and a broken marker light).

My local auto paint supplies shop said they could color match and add a hardener into a can of spray paint that would work well for the trailer. I don't recall what type of paint but I'm guessing it was an acrylic enamel. Cost about $20-25 but I figure that's worth it if it works.

I'm going to mask off and paint the whole front step section. Then I'm going to have to blend it into the rest of the fender a little where the dent is - not so sure how that will work out but I don't want to do the whole fender if possible.

sandm
05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I have a bunch of touchup that I would like to do.
problem is that the color I have (orange) doesn't have a match that they can load into a rattlecan.
Jerry at boatmate told me the following:

The paint is DuPont Centari 5000 and the code for Skier’s Choice sunset orange is 740974.

my local paintshop told me that dupont centari 5000 is expensive to buy with the hardners it needs($300/qt), that the paint won't harder properly without all the additives, it can't be rattlecan-ed, and to go to a different brand of paint won't be an exact match. no one will guarantee the quality of the paint.

guess it depends on the color, but hope you all have better luck than I did. finally decided to just live with the few problems I have for another couple of years and sand the entire trailer and paint it :(