PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

Kidder522
05-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Hello Everyone.

Took my boat out for the first time on Saturday, and it was great.:D I do have a couple of questions though, so if you have any information, that would really help me out.

1. How far does the bilge plug go in and do you have to put teflon tape or pipe dope on it from leaking. I noticed the plug was brass and so was the fitting, so I am thinking that this is where the water came in.

2. How do you set the speedometer? I was running the boat and noticed that the speedometer's indicated 20 mph, but we were doing faster than that. Do I need a slalom course to set them or a boat beside me telling me how fast they are going and set accordingly?

Thanks.

Razzman
05-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Hello Everyone.

Took my boat out for the first time on Saturday, and it was great.:D I do have a couple of questions though, so if you have any information, that would really help me out.

1. How far does the bilge plug go in and do you have to put teflon tape or pipe dope on it from leaking. I noticed the plug was brass and so was the fitting, so I am thinking that this is where the water came in.

2. How do you set the speedometer? I was running the boat and noticed that the speedometer's indicated 20 mph, but we were doing faster than that. Do I need a slalom course to set them or a boat beside me telling me how fast they are going and set accordingly?

Thanks.

The bilge plug at the transom should have a o-ring around it that seals. If not it's no big deal, never had one leak.

Calibrate the speedo with a gps unit or another boat that's correct.

harmsway
05-23-2011, 10:03 AM
My bilge plug would seep a little bit of water pass the threads, I even tighten it with a wrench and it still seeped, a teflon tape stopped the water from passing the threads.

GPS is best way to calibrate the speedo. If yours is like mine you can't trust the speedometer. I use a GPS all the time.

Kidder522
05-23-2011, 10:33 AM
How far should it turn in. Mine only threads in about 1/4 of the way in. Is that normal?

Hoopskier
05-23-2011, 12:53 PM
The bilge plug on my boat only threads in a little ways at well. Hand tight. I believe these are pipe threads, which are tapered. I have no issues. I have never checked to see if water passes through the threads. I wouldnt worry about teflon tape. If you are like me, you will always end with some water in the bilge from things such as taking a wave over the bow or just water dripping off of people and equipment as they enter the boat. Always have the bilge pump for safety.

As for the speedos, a hand held GPS or a stop watch and a slalom course.

I do it a different way. Not acurate to the number but ballpark close. I run at wide open throttle, with the assumition these boats dont really go faster than 43-44 mph, set the speedos there. Close enough for me, I don't know about driving for surfing but after a while you can drive more by feel and watching your skier than with gauges-for the average person.

Kidder522
05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Ed G, T-Handle is exactly it. I couldn't get it in farther than a couple of turns. It was quite a bit of water in the bilge and gradually got more in the time I was on the lake. Do they come in different sizes? Just seems a little odd that it didn't go all the way in, and I couldn't tighten it any more.

Also, do you need to push the bilge pump switch on for the automatic function to engage, or is that just the manual switch?

Mikey
05-23-2011, 05:31 PM
I have the T handle plug as well which usually a good hand tight will do as mentioned is a tapered thread. Maybe a slight turn more with a wrench,just remember you will need a wrench to remove later. As for the bilge ,mine works automatically or manually by switch,but auto does not kick in till the float inside reaches a certain level. This may be the case or maybe your float is stuck. Mine clogged up shortly after new ,with carpet remnants ,that were missed ,but the pump is not too hard to take apart,just a pain to get too.
I too use a GPS to calibrate my speedo,and perfectpass usually at start of season and usually midway just to tweek,otherwise good to go. Good luck.

BensonWdby
05-23-2011, 06:06 PM
If your T-handle only mkae a couopel turns, someone probably crossed the threads. Find someone with a tap-and-die set and clean up the thread in the boat and on the T-handle.
I take mine out whenever the boat is out of the water so I never use a wrench not tape. Most of my bilge water comes from the shaft packing.

Kidder522
05-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Thank you all for the great information. I will be looking into the plug and see if it is cross threaded.

However, I am still a little confused on the bilge switch. Is the switch itself a double toggle switch like the Navigation light, where you can press it either up or down, or does the the bilge pump switch just turn up. Mine just turns up, with the light coming on, so I am thinking that is the manual position. Does the automatic bilge pump option turn on when the key is turned on to run the boat?

Sorry for all the questions, I am still trying to understand some of the great features with this boat.

Hoopskier
05-23-2011, 11:16 PM
For the bilge pump, the switch on the dash is the manual switch to turn it on/off. (not a double toggle) With the engine cover open and everything else off you should hear it run. The automatic portion should operate regardless of the switch position. The pump has an internal float switch. Should the water level get high enough in the bilge area, the float switch will turn on the pump and then shut off again when the water level is down. On my pump there is small knob on the side. You can turn this knob to test the float switch.

Kidder522
05-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Thank you Hoopskier. I have seen the knob and know what you are talking about. I will test it when it stops raining here and fill up the bilge with my garden hose to see if it is functional.

Thank you very much for the information.