PDA

View Full Version : impeller housing bolt broken

myster
05-22-2011, 09:03 AM
ok I'm an idiot and broke a brass impeller bolt by overtightening, anyone ever try to get one out after it broke off?? help please!!

mmandley
05-22-2011, 09:58 AM
It wont be easy due to its placement. You will need a very small drill bit and easy out.

If your lucky you might be able to get a metal pick almost like the dentist uses and turn it. With broken bolts once the head is off there is no tension on the threads so it should turn fairly easy.

FLTH2O
05-22-2011, 03:25 PM
I've fixed a couple of these and both times I was able to turn it out by hand. Finding a new screw is the real challenge.

nibots
05-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I have done this twice. I had to remove the pump from the engine. That was the hard part because it was hard to reach. The broken off part of the bolt came right out. One time I could spin it with the friction of my finger and the other time it was deeper so I just stuck a little screw driver down on it and pushed down as I turned, it came right out. I went to where I get my parts and they sold the brass bolts separately but they went out to the shop and found an engine that was going back for warranty and gave me the bolts out of that one for free. I know you can buy them on line from Bake's Marine, look under Johnson Pumps.

myster
05-24-2011, 01:45 PM
is it necessary to use brass bolts??

kaneboats
05-24-2011, 02:58 PM
This came up once before a year or two ago. I can't remember if the guy could only find stainless or what. Maybe try running a search on impeller and screws or bolts and brass.

brain_rinse
05-24-2011, 03:05 PM
is it necessary to use brass bolts??
Total guess, but maybe they use brass so that the screw fails before the housing would get stripped out.

lsvboombox
05-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Item: 685005
Description: COVER SCREW - JOHNSON PUMP
Johnson raw water pump cover plate screw. For all Indmar applications w/Johnson pump
COVER SCREW - JOHNSON PUMP
Johnson raw water pump cover plate screw. For all Indmar applications w/Johnson pump

http://www.inboardonline.com/

http://store.inboardonline.com/images/S685005.jpg

myster
05-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks All, found everything I will need at Bakesmarine online, the screws were $2.30 for 4 ( ordered 8 ) Gaskets $4.00 each and the impeller ( ordered one just for an extra ) at $29.00. I bought an impeller from a local marine dealer the other day and they charged me $70.00 ....rip off!!!!

This is a GREAT site........thanks :grin:

moombadaze
05-25-2011, 11:17 AM
always good to have a spare impeller in the boat

myster
05-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Oh and just fyi for anyone who breaks an impeller bolt, I was able to get it out just by picking at it with a pointy small file, while the pump was still installed on the engine, as suggested by someone earlier in this thread!! Thanks

deerfield
05-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Oh and just fyi for anyone who breaks an impeller bolt, I was able to get it out just by picking at it with a pointy small file, while the pump was still installed on the engine, as suggested by someone earlier in this thread!! Thanks

myster - That's great news! Glad that the problem was easily solved. - Deerfield

bigappleboater
05-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Wanted to update this thread as it's a few years outdated and I used the info to fix a snapped bolt in my raw water pump (haste makes waste). I had to search for a bit, but I think the only place left online that carries the part is wakeboards.com. Was able to rush order the part and get the boat fixed for an on time launch this season. Thanks for all the pointers!

brain_rinse
05-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Wanted to update this thread as it's a few years outdated and I used the info to fix a snapped bolt in my raw water pump (haste makes waste). I had to search for a bit, but I think the only place left online that carries the part is wakeboards.com. Was able to rush order the part and get the boat fixed for an on time launch this season. Thanks for all the pointers!
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you got it fixed up and the forum was able to help out. What kind of boat do you have? We love pics...

Gabbyg88
05-04-2015, 07:06 PM
I've fixed a couple of these and both times I was able to turn it out by hand. Finding a new screw is the real challenge.
I just bought 3 news bolts from bakesonline.com

kaneboats
05-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Please remember how wimpy the gasket is on these. Those bolts/screws are tiny for a reason. You only have to slightly crush the wimpy gasket to get a seal. That's all. Do not overtighten these.