PDA

View Full Version : replacement top nav light

myster
05-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Anyone know a good place to buy a replacement to nav light for an 08 xlv gg?? broke mine on a low overhead wire when storing for winter.

myster
05-22-2011, 08:57 AM
should read top nav light sorry

mmandley
05-22-2011, 09:59 AM
might look into this

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1R2ADBF_enUS348&q=navigation+lights&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4702227188460038964&sa=X&ei=mxbZTbq_PI3UtQPMyPSEDA&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAw&biw=1419&bih=754#

myster
05-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks much!!

04OUTBACK
05-23-2011, 08:10 PM
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=368459&w=PQ%2BJDyOLrQE%3D

best deal I found on these.. broke mine too.. 2 boats in a row.

bzubke1
05-23-2011, 10:53 PM
The ones from monstertower.com are a direct replacement.

ryan_8099
02-13-2012, 05:18 PM
ok, so I have heard mixed things. Someone please set me straight. Is a nav light required to be at the highest point on your boat when navigating at night? If so, has anyone bought the battery operated ones that suction to the tower? I'd rather not drill holes since this will only be used once a summer (if that) for swooning the ladies!

Page 10 of this only says 3 feet above the height of your front lights

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/boat/documents/BoatingRegs.pdf

bergermaister
02-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Good question - USCG regs appear to say at least 1 meter above the side lights on the "hull".

Don't you have the light socket off the rear of your boat dead center to put a pole into? That's what mine came with and I have used it for years until I added the tower light last summer. For once a year use I'd go with that existing one if you have it.

My brother was the only one who warned me the all-around or anchor light should be at the highest point. But I kind of liked the idea of just flipping a switch and it's on instead of having to pull up the engine cover and dig the light pole out, stick it in and hope the bulb's not burned out.

ryan_8099
02-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Good question - USCG regs appear to say at least 1 meter above the side lights on the "hull".

Don't you have the light socket off the rear of your boat dead center to put a pole into? That's what mine came with and I have used it for years until I added the tower light last summer. For once a year use I'd go with that existing one if you have it.

My brother was the only one who warned me the all-around or anchor light should be at the highest point. But I kind of liked the idea of just flipping a switch and it's on instead of having to pull up the engine cover and dig the light pole out, stick it in and hope the bulb's not burned out.

Yes, we have the pole, so that will do. I had also heard that the light technically had to be on the rear, which would mean that you have to have like a 6 foot pole in the back of your boat if you wanted true 360 degree visibility. Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure we are legal since our lakes are super strict.

wolfeman131
02-13-2012, 05:38 PM
360 degree visibility

I think this is why it is supposed to be at the highest point.

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Has to be a meter above. I kept breaking mine so I just installed this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aqua-Signal-Wakeboard-Tower-All-Round-Light-/250814025041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a65ae4d51

It's within an inch of the highest point. They can climb up there with a ruler if they are dead set on issuing a ticket.

KSmith
02-13-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm thinkin a tiki torch would be cool

bergermaister
02-13-2012, 09:36 PM
So I'm curious if you have board racks up high and from a side view the boards would potentially block that light from being visible. That grounds for a citation?

wolfeman131
02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
I'd say yes and potentially puts you in harms way.

bergermaister
02-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Curses!
I guess we'll just have to try to outrun them then or throw our empties at their spotlights if they get too close.
(uh huh, that's me)

Last summer heading in late one night I actually came very close to a head-on with a big old cruiser motoring out that had only one red front running light. I was only going about 15-20 but headed towards the lights of the marina and I didn't make out that it was a boat until I was almost right on top of him. We swung around and yelled and honked at them when we went by but didn't get any reaction at all. When we got in and saw the sheriff at the dock we told them they should keep an eye out for him and they took a very particular interest in it.

I may have told this story before already. I know the other driver would have seen me all lit up like a UFO with all my blue leds in addition to my nav lights...

ryan_8099
02-13-2012, 10:41 PM
That is what I was afraid of, guess I'll look into the suction cup battery operated one I found to throw up there when need be. Just my luck of getting pulled over and not having true 360 degree visibility. Last year was pulled over for standing up while driving. Whoops!

bergermaister
02-14-2012, 01:25 AM
For standing up? Dang. I imagine they would give you a LOT of grief if you're surfing all leaned over with everyone sitting on the same side...

ryan_8099
02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
For standing up? Dang. I imagine they would give you a LOT of grief if you're surfing all leaned over with everyone sitting on the same side...

Hopefully not, as long as everyone stays in the boat. We likely will only be surfing on weekdays anyway due to how busy it gets on the weekends. Crappy weather is our best friend there, also the early/late season.

ryan_8099
06-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Thought I'd just bring this thread back up instead of starting my own. We are going to attempt to try and install our tower nav light and will be drilling into our tower for the first time (eek!) Anyone have any strong opinions about the nav lights, we have a monster tower mt2 and were thinking of going with their brand of light http://shop.monstertower.com/p-94-monster-tower-navigation-light.aspx

Thanks!

KSmith
06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Go for it. I'd like to see alternate angle pictures as it looks very similar to my OEM tower light

wolfeman131
06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Agreed, that looks like the OEM light.

I'm looking for where to buy the OEM light for the V2 tower. It integrates the light into the tow point.

bret
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
What kind of electrical wiring do people use for something like this? Can you use the same wiring used in houses or do you use something else?

KSmith
06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
What kind of electrical wiring do people use for something like this? Can you use the same wiring used in houses or do you use something else?

Yikes! That'd be a bit over kill.

These are usually multi-strand coper wires, for a small light like the one mentioned I'd say 16 gauge should be sufficient, again just for one small light 12V DC won't draw many amps...

patrick232
06-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Those that have changed out there lights, do you have the cover for the light? I need one and the local dealer is no help.