PDA

View Full Version : CWB faction board size

skiyaker
05-21-2011, 06:52 PM
first of all thanks for letting me post in the wakeboarding section- I really appreciate it.

I've decided to upgrade my equipment- I'm currently riding a LF omega 135. I have the opportunity to buy a CWB faction 138. I'm 5'9" and 155-160# (depending on the day) and for most boards a 138 would be plenty of board- but looking at the faction website it says the 138 only goes up to 160#; I'm thinking the next size up 144 would be too big for me but it's listed for 150# and above. Is there something about the design of the faction that would require me to go with a big size?

Thoughts appreciated

Hillbilly
05-21-2011, 11:35 PM
A bigger board will land softer. And from what I hear the Faction lands super soft.
A friend of mine who is about 6 ft and about 160 ish rides a 138 DB9. Which is the same shape just Bamboo core instead of foam. And he loves it! And he was riding a 2010 Marius 140.

Is there a way you can demo the board? The faction should be wider as well so it will seem bigger.

I'm talking about the 2010-2011 shape Faction. The first shape was pretty heavy and they have since went to a beveled edge and the board is lighter now.

skiyaker
05-22-2011, 11:39 AM
cool thanks for the insight- soft landings are a good thing for my knees; I rode my neighbor's Ronix bill 134 and it felt a lot softer than my current board.

I found a 2010 faction 138 with the faction closed toe boots on sale at Barts for $350 so I'm going to go ahead and get it since I need new boots anyways and those boots alone are $260 on evo.

Hillbilly
05-22-2011, 02:28 PM
I think it will be fine for you. I ride a Marius 140 and I'm 6'2 225 so I think you should be good on a 138 Faction.

I was thinking of picking up a Faction 144 for me to play around on but I got a 141 Pure instead as a boat board.

Happy Carving !

pmoomba
05-23-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm 6'4" and 185ish. I picked up a faction 144 off boardersbestbuy a while back. I'm somewhat of a beginner/early intermediate, and didn't get a chance to ride it too much last season unfortunately, but the few times I did get it out it did feel pretty good. Very stable, pretty soft on landings (though I'm not getting too much air, not even W2W yet),etc. I could definitely feel it being bigger and a little slower than the smaller beginner board I replaced, but was pretty controlled. I think a 138 might have been better but I'm happy with the 144 and at my pace it will take me a while to "grow" out of it.

I also got the closed toe boots (both are '08 instead of '10), and the boots felt really good.

skiyaker
05-23-2011, 05:44 PM
well cool I put the order in and then barts gave me a ring and told me they made a mistake on their website- didn't have the faction bindings in my size so they upgraded me to the 2010 answer bindings for no extra cost- and I got free shipping. Thanks Barts!

05-24-2011, 03:40 PM
The older factions were pretty heavy and my firends who rode it didn't like it at all. It was a 144 too. And they also didn't care for the CWB Zuess boots, but that is coming from Slingshot and Ronix boots.

Hillbilly
05-24-2011, 09:42 PM
The Zues was a higher stiffer binding than the Factions or Answers. And the old shape was a tank for sure!

I have heard that Ronix 1's are just about the best most comfy binding out there ! I loved my 08 Answers but they finally wore out, So I went with the AA's for '11.

I think I'm picking up a Vibe/Answer combo Friday so I will play around with that and see how I like it.

Let me know how you like it?

skiyaker
05-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Let me know how you like it?

will do. I love being close to barts- they shipped it yesterday and it arrived fedex today. the answers feel pretty comfy on my living room floor and I have high hopes for the board. probably be this weekend before I get to ride it. I'm hoping to pull a double feature- meaning that I head to the ski lake and run the course then pull the boat about 15 min to the local reservoir and go boarding; hopefully there won't be too many tubing bozos out.

Thanks for the advice guys

skiyaker
06-19-2011, 02:08 PM
I've had a chance to ride my 2010 faction with 2010 answer bindings a couple of times now- and it's everything I was hoping for. Much much softer on the landings than my old board and also very forgiving in terms of not catching the toeside edge- I'm getting wake to wake now and the other night I came over my toes a little but the beveled edge didn't catch. I think the size is about right too so thanks for the advice. The new board has really increased my enjoyment of wakeboarding.

Hillbilly
06-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Glad to hear you like the new board !

My buddy didn't make it down from Portland so I didn't get the Vibe/Answer combo....Oh well I have enough boards as it is....lol

Happy shredding......8-)