PDA

View Full Version : Randy "The Machoman" Savage RIP

Canuckle Head
05-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Former wrestler Macho Man Randy Savage has died in a car accident Friday in Tampa, Florida, according to TMZ.

Savage was reportedly driving his Jeep Wrangler in Florida when it veered off the highway and into a median, after he suffered a heart attack behind the wheel. His wife, Lynn, who he’d been married to for a little over a year, survived the crash with only minor injuries, while Savage died of his. TMZ is also reporting that police say alcohol was not a factor. The Macho Man was 58 years old.

One of my favorite wrestlers from the 80's....

dru1974
05-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Mine to ohhhhhh yeah RIP

WaterBullDawg1980
05-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Former wrestler Macho Man Randy Savage has died in a car accident Friday in Tampa, Florida, according to TMZ.

Savage was reportedly driving his Jeep Wrangler in Florida when it veered off the highway and into a median, after he suffered a heart attack behind the wheel. His wife, Lynn, who he’d been married to for a little over a year, survived the crash with only minor injuries, while Savage died of his. TMZ is also reporting that police say alcohol was not a factor. The Macho Man was 58 years old.

One of my favorite wrestlers from the 80's....

Saw that earlier. Sucks. He was truly one of the GOAT. (Greatest of all time)

mmandley
05-21-2011, 09:38 AM
I grew up in the 80s watching him and all the other great wrestlers of that time. I dont recall his stage GF name then but i always had a crush on her and that made me like him even more lol.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-21-2011, 11:06 AM
It was Miss Elizabeth.

Interesting story about her. Grew up in a pretty small town in Kentucky and eventually got involved with Macho after getting a shot in the WWF.

Elizabeth has a bit of a wild side as you may have guessed and after her and Macho were divorced, she became (probably was before) more involved with drugs and alcohol. She died in the early 2000's of a drug and alcohol overdose. I believe the drug of choice was a cocktail of pain killers. She had been divorced from Macho and was dating Lex Luger at the time.

It forced Luger to be "born again" as a Christian. Well, that and I am sure many other things. Apparently now a days, him and Sting do a ton of speaking engagements on their testimony etc.

Wrestlers live crazy lives. My Dad worked out at the same gym as a bunch of these guys in Atlanta when I was a kid, and he said that he NEVER once was in that gym and did not see Luger, Buff Bagwell, one of the Road Warriors etc. He said those guys lived in the gym. I have heard they are on the road over 300 days a year as well and hardly have a family life. And the crap they put their bodies through leave them as feeble old men at usually very early ages. I remember hearing an interview with Mankind and his wife said he was a 30 year old with a body of a 60 year old man.

Not sure how I remember all this stuff. I was a wrestling fan, but never more than casual. Plus I had my dad who got to know some of them a little bit bc of working out. And then I had the mildly obsessed roommate who taught me a lot. Ah well.

mmandley
05-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Good reading thanks for the updates, sad but true. I mean look at Hulk Hogan, i lived only a few blocks from his moms house in Tampa and the High School he went to i rode my bike by all the time.

KurtL
05-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Rode on a plane in the mid 80's with them both. My brother and I were going nuts as a couple of kids with these WWF stars sitting two rows away.

Mikey
05-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Growing up in Calgary the Home of the Famous Hart Clan and the infamous Dungeon. wrestlers are,were pretty common to see or run into.
Very big here in the city where we had Stampede Wrestling which MANY Famous wrestlers got there start and learned the business. WWF/WWE pretty much got there start following,imitating and later buying them out.
We had an interesting article in the local news paper about Macho Man, but what i found interesting as well was a side list of Wrestlers ,active and or retired who died Well before there prime. Raging in age from 28 to the oldest of 58 being Macho man. Many wrestlers on this list i was unaware they had died.

Very Tough life but i believe ,Most the very common denominator,is ROIDS and Pain pills,brought on there demise ,somehow some way.
Too bad .just the same Sorry to hear.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-22-2011, 03:10 PM
We had an interesting article in the local news paper about Macho Man, but what i found interesting as well was a side list of Wrestlers ,active and or retired who died Well before there prime. Raging in age from 28 to the oldest of 58 being Macho man. Many wrestlers on this list i was unaware they had died.

Very Tough life but i believe ,Most the very common denominator,is ROIDS and Pain pills,brought on there demise ,somehow some way.
Too bad .just the same Sorry to hear.

I saw that list in an article I read as well. It is no shock that so many die at a younger age. But I would say it has more to do with the pain pills and drug addictions than roids. You never hear of roids killing someone, or at least I don't, but if your doing things like cocaine and oxycotin and drinking excessively you gotta think thats a bad idea!

It seems like the personality traits that make these guys great wrestlers hurt them in other areas. Very tough to see so many of them killing their bodies at such a young age. It would be interesting to know what the WWE has done as far as drug education, rehab etc to support their employees. I do not think steroid education is going to do much good, but it sounds like its all the other crap they are doing that is killing them. Can you imagine what their insurance costs must look like???