PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about wake surf boards

JPAGE
05-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Ok guys my wife and I are trying to navigate the plethora of surf boards on the market. We would like to purchase us a new board but don't know anything about them at all. So what do you guys suggest?? Remember we are total rookies at surfing and have never done it before. What is a decent board for us beginners to start out with? Also we don't want to have to take out a loan to buy it. If we like it that much we will upgrade as our skills improve.. So what say you??

Jeromy

Lawdog
05-20-2011, 09:57 AM
I have found that the Hyperlite Broadcast is a popular beginner board. It was the first board I used as well. It will probably take a season or two to outgrow it before you upgrade.

skylar18
05-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Look on the Wakesurf thread on this forum. Looks like there is a group buy for Lakewakes surf boards. Sounds like a great price for a custom board. Custom board is night and day better than the wakeboard companies cheeap composit boards.

Also you will outgrow a beginner board very quickly so I suggest starting out with at least an intermediate board.

dusty2221
05-20-2011, 10:00 AM
There is a group buy going on right now for lake wakes. Several here have them. It is a hand made custom board, and for the price of the group buy, its likely less or close to any beginner board out there. Once you go custom, you will never look back.

kaneboats
05-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Two years ago I would have recommended the Broadcast for a beginner. Now, I'd say get a Broadcast if you can find one used cheap or maybe even borrow one for a couple of weeks. But buy yourself a custom board like the LakeWakes one.

sandm
05-20-2011, 10:15 AM
learned a ton on the broadcast and as mentioned, if cheap, don't hesitiate to pick it up, but I'd lean toward a better board as well.

I have had good luck using my phase5 as a trainer board.

my only advice would be to stay away from skim boards. they are a little too slick for the average person..

ot-anyone wants a deal on a triple xxx text board, dude here locally has 3, 2-54's and a 58 for sale for $250. bet I'd get one for $225. they are blue.
I'd help ship if someone wants one :) 208-871-3137 text..
http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/2389175046.html
he's one of their sponsored pro riders. these would be demo's that he took out with the intent to sell and didn't. I've ridden the 54 and it's a real nice board.

spoon03
05-20-2011, 11:17 AM
I have to agree with the others. Go ahead and spend the money on a good custom board. Grow into your new board, don't grow out of your new board or you will be spending the money anyway on a new board in a few months. Inland Surfer and Phase 5 are great skim style boards. Also, depends on your riding style to intend to accomplish. Spins and tricks go with skim style. Slashing and air, go with surf style. Surf style will not be so loose. Just personal preference.

Canuckle Head
05-20-2011, 12:00 PM
It may be worth your while to come on down to Clermont, Fl tomorrow or sunday.

Many wakesurf board manufacturers are going to be represented and you could decide for yourself

If you see Mike Walker down there can you do me a favour and ask him if I will ever see my wakesurfboard. Seeing how it's the end of the world tomorrow I guess I'll never know...... Trying to get any information form these guys is extremely painful! Like I wasn't warned........:(

wolfeman131
05-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Pick a weekend Jeromy and my place or yours. You can ride a "beginner" Liquid Force Venture, an Inland Surfer Blue Lake and a few different LakeWakes. Just give me a call.

JPAGE
05-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Drew PM sent

dusty2221
05-20-2011, 12:59 PM
If you see Mike Walker down there can you do me a favour and ask him if I will ever see my wakesurfboard. Seeing how it's the end of the world tomorrow I guess I'll never know...... Trying to get any information form these guys is extremely painful! Like I wasn't warned........:(

Good luck with all that.

kaneboats
05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Well it can't be the end of the world-- Cubs didn't win the world series.

cbboarder
05-20-2011, 01:12 PM
We purchased the Liquid Force Venture last year for our "trainer" and it worked just fine. However, the peer pressure from the group buy got to me today and I ordered a new board from LakeWakes.

Canuckle Head
05-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Good luck with all that.

No kidding. I am a pretty patient guy but this is getting ridiculous....

kaneboats
05-20-2011, 01:30 PM
We purchased the Liquid Force Venture last year for our "trainer" and it worked just fine. However, the peer pressure from the group buy got to me today and I ordered a new board from LakeWakes.

Excellent! Pretty good deal. Be sure to post up some riding pics.

JPAGE
05-20-2011, 01:34 PM
OK guys will look into the LakeWakes and liquid force venture. Also what does the 5.2 , 4.8 ,4.5 , 10-4 good buddy stuff mean???

kaneboats
05-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Skip the Venture unless you get it for $50 or you weigh 300 and can't ride anything else. Those decimals are each guys IQ. LOL! No, it's really board length but a wider board does not need to be as long. My TripleX board is only 58 inches but it's plenty big enough.

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 02:44 PM
i got a CWB Ride and i like it good. came with a surf rope and how too DVD. i tossed the rope last weekend for the first time but i started drifting away after 30 seconds or so. need more balllast!

dusty2221
05-20-2011, 02:48 PM
i got a CWB Ride and i like it good. came with a surf rope and how too DVD. i tossed the rope last weekend for the first time but i started drifting away after 30 seconds or so. need more balllast!

Technique before huge wave!!!! It will help you in the long run!!!!

kaneboats
05-20-2011, 02:54 PM
That's true to an extent but if you are over 220# you just might need some more wave. Watch a kid surf some time. It's almost effortless. It ain't because they have such great technique. Still there is technique to learn and it's best to learn it. But having enough wave is important too.

Best thing to do is just hang on to the rope till you can go 4-5 min. without losing the wave. Your driver will thank you.

moombadaze
05-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Just put a little more presure on your front foot

bergermaister
05-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I could possibly snag a Ronix Stage 5'4" for $150 that looks like new. I've read a few mixed reviews but for a buck fifty that ain't bad is it??

Only other board I've ridden was a HL Broadcast that was 5'3" and felt too small, oh and a 5'10" ocean board that floats along like a Cadillac.

I'm 6'3 and 210 (the heaviest/tallest rider usually) but have plenty of ballast now so I'm wondering about the shorter boards...

coony
05-25-2011, 01:04 AM
My big buddies ride my old Hyperlite Landlock its 5'10 and cruises nice. I ride a brodcast 5'6 "very fun". and i also have liquid force custom 4'10 but its super slickrey.

sailing217
05-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Inland Surfer Squirt. Hybrid board that changes based on fins, good price, won't outgrow fast.

rdlangston13
05-25-2011, 01:59 PM
So this last weekend we went out and I felt I was doing much better. Still would drift back back after about a minute or so, i think the pocket is just a fine line and if you loose it it is really hard to recover. I have a video and I'll see if my gf can post it on you tube and y'all can give me some pointers. It's on my Facebook page if anyone uses Facebook on here.

One more thing we brought out an extra 400 lbs or so sack this last weekend. I had the right rear 400 full, the center 400 about 75% full (I hate how it pushes up the locker door when filled to capacity), a 400 lbs scan behind the drivers seat on the bench, a girl sitting on the right rear locker, and a girl sitting in the middle of the rear bench next to the 400lb sack

cbboarder
05-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Received an email from Mark at LakeWakes yesterday, he'll be starting on my new board next week. Mark if your reading this, I'll need the board for the weekend starting June 10th. If you make it happen, I'll short list ya on the Lapham family Christmas card list as a bonus. These too are limited production!!!!!

in the bubble
05-28-2011, 10:34 AM
It should happen. Cbborder. Wolfman131 will be trying out his tomorrow and girls with new Grom board.

Mark