PDA

View Full Version : Anchors

silverski
02-25-2005, 02:45 PM
I sometimes use a cabin that is on a large lake that can get pretty choppy. I don't like to leave the boat tied to the dock as it can take a beating and for sure won't when my new LSV is in use. I have not had great success with anchors that I have used in the past on this lake as the lake is shallow and doesn't have any vegitation or anything for the anchor to set in.

Does anyone have an anchor system that they use that works well? What type of weight do you need for these moomba's? Or, is this a size doesn't matter issue and it's all in the technique and style? I saw on another post a reference to an elastic type rope, maybe that's the ticket.

SkiKY
02-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I keep two anchors systems on the boat. For regular daytime use I have a rubberized 12 lb mushroom anchor with about 60 foot of rope that usually does the trick. For overnight anchoring I have an 18 lb galvanized anchor (non rubberized so the edges have some actual bite) with 8' of heavy galvanized chain attached. When anchoring overnight on a lake (no current) I found the heavy anchor anchored with twice as much rope as the water depth (i.e. 10' of water 20' of rope) holds fine. Our lake bottoms are pretty rocky, for softer bottoms you may need a 3 to 1 ratio or better.

Rob-MobiusLS
02-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Anchor weight is not as important as anchor design. Different anchor types work better for different bottom conditions. Plow type anchors like CQR's work great in mud and fine sand. Grappling type anchors are best for rocky bottoms. Very few anchors work well in weeds because the weeds keep the anchor from penetrating. I would think the best thing to do is figure out your bottom conditions and then source out the appropriate style and weight. Usually two different kinds cover most bottom conditions. I have a 10 lb. Danforth (mud and sand) and a 20 lb river anchor (rock and poor holding ground). A partial chain rode of 10' or so attached to the anchor will help it set.
There are also mooring whips that you can get for your dock that will hold the boat away from the dock when it is tied up securely.

Rob

smokedog2
02-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Here and a couple other places I have seen some crazy stuff for anchoring. I perceive a lack of appreciation for the boat risks associated with anchoring.

Most of us see blue bird days, calm evenings and maybe a rain shower. This type of environment allows us all to become complacent and cut corners when we park our boat. I sailed a bit 20 years ago, usually to Catalina Island off California. We would anchor for several days. Here is a little food for thought.

All anchors drag. Hours, days, weeks. Depending on the weather and the anchor but if you can carry it, it will drag.

Six feet of chain is a good start. As mentioned earlier, the more rope you use, the better the anchor will hold.

I do not like light weight fluke anchors. They drag (even with chain) and are difficult to use in an uncontrolled situation. An uncontrolled situation is 3 foot waves and a dead v-drive. The weight of the motor will tend to make the back end heavy and the front swing down wind. Now the waves are crashing into the stern and into the boat. Adding a little or a lot of water. Throwing the anchor off the bow will help swing it into the wind. If the wind is with you, you can work your way to shore lifting and dropping the anchor. Another uncontrolled situation is a pull rope around the shaft and wind driving you into the rocks. You do not have time to drag a fluke until it digs in, you need to stop and hold. Weight is the most reliable way to do that (all you guys that never board in the wind and therefore will never face the above situation can just press on, most of those that say it will never happen to me are correct).

Read up on how sailboats are anchored if you want to anchor over night. One hint, they use two anchors off the bow.

If the water is too rough to dock a boat, it is surely too rough to anchor. Try that and you will find your boat beached and/or swamped. Try 3x bumpers and cinching the boat from the ends at an angle like this

Boat
/ \
Dock Dock rather than straight to the dock like this

Boat
! !
Dock

You might also try backing in if the waves are coming straight in from off shore.

I bought a 20 lb. rubber coated anchor for my LSV (I think they dig fine) with six feet of serious chain. I also have a smaller anchor for the back end when I beach to hold the back end in place and off shore. I do not plan to ever anchor off shore overnight.

I do use a dock overnight, but in a protected bay in anticipation of good weather.

The best anchor will not help you if you cannot tie a secure knot.

My .$02, worth what you paid for it,

SD2

Buttafewcoe
02-27-2005, 08:17 AM
your are the sh!t, man.........I been reading your posts......how long you been boating?.....you should write a 'help maunal'........prolly make yer 1st mill off it

smokedog2
02-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks – I think ;)

I’ve been boating since age 10. I’m not sure I know that much but I’m happy to throw out an opinion.

I probably went overboard on the chain recommendation. If you watch next summer I bet you don’t spot three boats with any chain at all. I do not know exactly what I have now, anything from 3-5 feet is probably sufficient.

I went with the navy style of anchor. I prefer both chain & anchor coated; you will drop it on the gel coat someday.

While examining my hard cover edition of the Cabela’s catalog, page 462, (making sure I had everything – a claim my wife makes regularly) I saw a couple dock hold off devices, mooring whips and Stowaway Holdaway. Neither was cheap but they might be worth a look. I would back them up with bumpers and rope. I don’t really like the idea of my gel coat bouncing against a bumper either. Then again, being at the lake enough to actually hurt the gel coat with the wear and tear of a bumper might be a nice summer goal.

Time to go check the stocks. I bought a bunch of $50 one year (Jan 06) Exxon options in December. I think stocks & real estate are a much better bet for my first mil. than a book. (I am selling 1/2 next week, don’t buy here).

Once again my $.02, worth what you paid for it,

SD2

silverski
02-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. This is what I was looking for.

I have seen the whips advertised. I would definetly have these if I was at this cabin more than the once a year I make it back there. This chain concept is a new one to me. Are you saying that a heavy 5-10 foot chain helps add weight at the lake bottom and aids in setting the anchor? Or, am I missing the concept? I think my biggest problem so far is that I haven't been putting enough rope out.

smokedog2
02-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Once a year has got to be almost worse than not going at all!

Yes, the chain holds the arm of the digging anchor down so that the anchor can dig in. You are also dragging chain through the mud and rocks, theoretically saving wear & tear on the anchor rope. I wish I boated enough to wear out an anchor rope.